ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 17th, 2018, 11:55 AM   #1
Gunsojoe
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

2010 Ninja 250r alllmmmoosst starts..

Hi,

New to the forum, I bought a 2010 Ninja 250r earlier this summer. It has 2500 miles on it. It was well maintained by the previous owner. When I bought it in July, it didn't have trouble starting. But as the mornings got colder and colder it has hard a harder and harder time starting. Now, in the middle of October in Minnesota it's around 40F in the morning...and I can not get her to start for the life of me.

I turn the key, turn the choke full, and it'll start right up and hit about 3000k, but about 2 seconds later, it dies. I pull the choke off and it'll catch and try to start, but it's not strong enough to run on it's own..without the starter going.. don't want to burn out the starter.

Wait a couple seconds, pull the choke again and itll start right up for 2 seconds..
It's almost as if the choke runs out of fuel to send after a few seconds...
I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Gunsojoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2018, 12:11 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
How fresh is the gas? Summer-blend gas doesn't vaporize well as air temps drop.

Did it sit for a while with a low level of fuel in the tank? Condensation can form and cause starting and running problems.

How does the air filter look?

Start with the simple stuff first.

These bikes benefit from proper adjustment of the Idle Mixture setting, as it's usually way off (lean) from the factory. Getting it set properly helps starting, idling, and smooth throttle transition.

It does require carb removal to remove the limiter caps - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removi...re_screw_plugs

Adjustment - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...dle_mixture%3F

Try starting with the petcock set to reserve - any change? How does the inside of the tank look?

There are screens on the petcock than can get plugged, and an internal filter in the fuel line at the carb inlet that can also be restricted.

More carb related info - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2018, 12:43 PM   #3
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
Godzilla had same issues. pulled carbs and found a bunch of crud in pilot jets. if ya do pull carbs, remove cover from air mixture screws.

Old October 19th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Gunsojoe
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

The gas is about 2 weeks old. Has about a gallon in it.

Air filter looks as tho it has just been replaced.

I will pull off the carbs and clean/check them. There is an idle speed screw that comes off the side, How much should the idle be opened? If that makes any sense...

Thank You for the replies!
Gunsojoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Welcome to the forum. Going up one size on the pilot jets will make it easyer to start when it’s really cold.

Old October 20th, 2018, 06:22 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsojoe View Post
The gas is about 2 weeks old. Has about a gallon in it.

Air filter looks as tho it has just been replaced.

I will pull off the carbs and clean/check them. There is an idle speed screw that comes off the side, How much should the idle be opened? If that makes any sense...

Thank You for the replies!
Just leave that set where it is right now. After you make the idle mixture adjustments, which will alter the rpms, you will use it to set the correct idle speed when hot.

Some carb info to read before digging in - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

Take your time and follow the directions carefully (ask for help if things don't make sense) or you will need to repeat the process...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote