ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Front Sprocket

Just got my new 15T front sprocket going to try and change it out tomorrow

who is running a 15T front stock back? How do you like it? or who is running anything else that you really like? I want to hear your thoughts.
Archerzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have been running a 15T front sprocket since I bought my bike in 05". It makes highway riding much easier on the engine. Gives you more range in each gear before shifting. All in all a great first mod.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I have been running a 15T front sprocket since I bought my bike in 05". It makes highway riding much easier on the engine. Gives you more range in each gear before shifting. All in all a great first mod.
Awesome that's what im looking for! I'm tired of have to shift out of 1st in or just exiting a turn.

what kind of RPMs do you run at 75mph?

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

My 15t front sprocket should be coming in the mail on monday. It will be for my new gen although I'd imagine the changes will be similar. I really just want to lower highway cruising rpm's and hopefully save some gas mileage that way. I don't feel comfortable sitting at high rpm's while just cruising around 60+ mph. I also feel like I need more time between shifts; especially when riding 2 up. I'll let you know how I like it, If I have free time and it comes on monday then I'll definitely put it on.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

^ Where did you order from?

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #6
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerzz View Post
^ Where did you order from?
motorcycle-superstore

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
Awesome got mine from bikebandit also JT and the same price let me know what you think when you get it. Probably get mine installed Saturday morning.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I went from 14:45 (stock/OEM) to 15:41 (JT sprockets) to 15:45 (switched back to old 45t when chain chewed up 41t) to 15:43 (43 was cheaper than 41 at motorcycle-superstore ).

I commute on the freeway daily so I'd never willingly go back to 14:45. That said, 15:45 felt a lot more responsive when I was forced to run it for a little while.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

So I managed to get the new 15T sprocket on, but I had a HELL of a time getting the back wheel to align properly and get the right chain tension. Any tops to make this easier? I am noticing a little brake scraping when I spin the wheel by hand, but all my measurements say the wheel is properly aligned. Also the bike feels stable when I am riding is there anything I should look for when I am riding after changing a sprocket?

Old June 4th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
So I managed to get the new 15T sprocket on, but I had a HELL of a time getting the back wheel to align properly and get the right chain tension. Any tops to make this easier? I am noticing a little brake scraping when I spin the wheel by hand, but all my measurements say the wheel is properly aligned. Also the bike feels stable when I am riding is there anything I should look for when I am riding after changing a sprocket?
The brake should drag a bit. Just make sure it is not warped and dragging only on a certain part; As for the chain getting tighter when you tighten down the axle nut: Someone here suggested that sticking a shop rag between the chain and rear sprocket then rotating your tire until it stops should help it stay the same tightness as you tighten down the axle nut.

Old June 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

How are you aligning the wheel?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
How are you aligning the wheel?
Combination of thread counting and measuring from the center of the rear axle nut to swing bar nut. Both sides seem to match. And before I tightened the axle nut it was spinning freely without any brake contact and after I tightened it, there was a small spot where I heard brake contact. It rides smooth no wobbles or anything, should I be concerned?

Old June 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sounds like alignment is fine. When you say brake contact, what exactly do you mean? When you spin the tire you hear the pads touch then not then touch again etc.?

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sounds like alignment is fine. When you say brake contact, what exactly do you mean? When you spin the tire you hear the pads touch then not then touch again etc.?
Exactly its just one spot on the wheel and its just a light scraping sound that you would hear if you lightly apply the brakes. Just got back from a 40 mile ride and I rode it HARD so I believe its fine. Other than the neutral issue I encountered (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75445)

Old June 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #15
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I went from 14:45 (stock/OEM) to 15:41 (JT sprockets) to 15:45 (switched back to old 45t when chain chewed up 41t) to 15:43 (43 was cheaper than 41 at motorcycle-superstore ).

I commute on the freeway daily so I'd never willingly go back to 14:45. That said, 15:45 felt a lot more responsive when I was forced to run it for a little while.
Never heard of anyone going 41, a few 42's but never ever a 41 especially with the 15 being the top move anyway. I know you won,t be trying that again.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #16
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Does the taller gears actually make your top end speed higher or just lower your RPM's?

Also if your shorten the gear to have better acceleration do you really loose top end speed? I know it would probably make accelerating at a higher speed hard. 75% of my riding is city riding. I'm not looking to stunt

Old June 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #17
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Does the taller gears actually make your top end speed higher or just lower your RPM's?

Also if your shorten the gear to have better acceleration do you really loose top end speed? I know it would probably make accelerating at a higher speed hard. 75% of my riding is city riding. I'm not looking to stunt
I'm not sure about top speed being any higher but after my ride today I can say for sure that with the new 15T front my rpms are down and first gear makes it through turns... usually.

Old June 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
Never heard of anyone going 41, a few 42's but never ever a 41 especially with the 15 being the top move anyway. I know you won,t be trying that again.
People have gone even taller than that. This member went to 16/41, though it was on a new-gen. A whole bunch of 15/41 folks as well.

Old June 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
I saw at least two other members since did it and TheDuck's friend ("Dimuzi?") went to 15:38 in their "How to" video.

Old June 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
People have gone even taller than that. This member went to 16/41, though it was on a new-gen. A whole bunch of 15/41 folks as well.
Yeah, I wondered about that. Someone went to 16:45 back in 2008 and mentioned that the sprocket cover needed to be modified, so we already knew that, so why do 16:41 when 15:38 doesn't require any modification and ends up being about the same?

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #21
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

So I measured my chain slack today and it is ~34mm I know this is on the tight end and I was just wondering what the consequences of a tight chain will be? Since its close will it make that much of a difference. I remember reading that tighter chains mess up suspension and wear on components faster. This true? Should I go through the hassle to loosen this up?

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #22
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

i know a tight chain may shorten the chain/sprockets lives, but I've never heard of causing suspension wear.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #23
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Yea, its darn close to the 35mm minimum so I am debating a half turn on the adjusters

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #24
Live2ride

I got my sprocket today, now I just have to make sure I know how to change them out before I do it . I'm looking at this thread right now .

Old June 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #25
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I got my sprocket today, now I just have to make sure I know how to change them out before I do it . I'm looking at this thread right now .
Good luck!

Old June 6th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Live2ride

No 27mm socket wrench I will live to try this another day...

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #27
Live2ride

I got the three sockets today and went ahead and put the sprocket on.

First thought: Wow, 1st gear doesn't feel jerky anymore, and it doesn't have the effect where if you roll off the throttle it feels like your slamming on the rear brake, lurching you forward.

Second thought: First gear is larger, topping out around 40mph at redline instead of the 33-34 from the stock sprocket. This made a world of difference because first gear is actually useful now and I can shift around 20mph without the bike screaming from high rpm's.

Third thought: Acceleration doesn't seem to have a noticeable difference. When paying attention to it, it might take a very small fraction more in my 0-60 time. By very small fraction I mean no more than .2 seconds which could also be contributed to the fact that I didn't get the best take off . Going around the twisties felt much smoother, I could cruise in 6th on straights but found myself going to 5th to get acceleration around the turns.

Fourth thought: I could tell I was in 6th gear now and I didn't find the need to search for that 7th gear that never seemed to be there . I searched for 7th gear a lot when on the stock sprocket, and I mean a lot.

Fifth / final thought: The rpm's in 6th gear dropped down from the normal 1500-2500 over my speed to about 200-500. This makes cruising feel a lot better because the engine doesn't have to be screaming to be going 60mph down the road. Though I found 6th gear acceleration was a bit worse than before, I found myself switching to 5th if I needed to go from 60-70mph.

Overall I think this is one of the best purchases I have made for my bike and I haven't ridden with it for more than 10-15 minutes yet. It really makes the bike more enjoyable for me to ride. This along with my other mods yesterday (puid db windscreen, A&L rearset adjusters, tank bag) have made my bike much more comfortable to ride and now it feels like this bike was made for me instead of someone half my size .

Old June 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Second thought: First gear is larger, topping out around 40mph at redline instead of the 33-34 from the stock sprocket. This made a world of difference because first gear is actually useful now an
I don't know what it is about this mod, but people drastically overstate the positive effects of the changes. Perhaps it happens with other mods as well, but this one is ubiquitous.

If 1st gear topped out at 33-34 mph with the stock 14 tooth, then on the same bike 1st gear would top out at 35.3 - 36.4 mph afterwards. Or if it's actually topping out at 40 mph with the new 15 tooth sprocket, then before with the 14 tooth it was actually topping out at 37.3 mph before.

It's just math.

(none of this means that I'm disagreeing with you in the least about you enjoying the slightly taller ratio. If you like it, that's all that matters.)

Old June 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #29
kkim

Quote:
I don't know what it is about this mod, but people drastically overstate the positive effects of the changes. Perhaps it happens with other mods as well, but this one is ubiquitous.

If 1st gear topped out at 33-34 mph with the stock 14 tooth, then on the same bike 1st gear would top out at 35.3 - 36.4 mph afterwards. Or if it's actually topping out at 40 mph with the new 15 tooth sprocket, then before with the 14 tooth it was actually topping out at 37.3 mph before.

It's just math.

(none of this means that I'm disagreeing with you in the least about you enjoying the slightly taller ratio. If you like it, that's all that matters.)
maybe they just pay closer attention to the top out speeds once they do the gearing change?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #30
Live2ride

Quote:

It's just math.

Well, according to my speedo, I'm correct . Actual speed differs and that's probably why there is a difference. I've done tons of top speed gear runs for 1st and 2nd with the stock gearing and I'm simply stating my results, before it was just under 35, now it's almost right on 40 indicated. I know according to the ninjette speed calculator it shouldn't make that much of a difference . Either way,right or wrong, I like it .

Anyway, I went for another ride and found out that in hot weather the rpm are higher, more like 1,000 above my speed. I'm not trying to overstate this mod, it simply works very well for me. I can now shift less while accelerating. I use to shift up to 3rd while going through parking lots but now I can run them in 2nd comfortably. I'm hoping that this also increases gas mileage a little because of others showing the same result (Alex, I know that you've said it shouldn't effect gas mileage much, if at all, because you need more throttle at any given speed). I'll post my mpg after I run through this tank (just filled up); I've been averaging 49-50mpg with the stock gearing.

I'm very happy with this mod because I wasn't expecting as many benefits as I received. I can't stress enough that this is what I wanted from my bike and not necessarily what others may want; although I would certainly recommend that others try this mod.

Old June 7th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Well, according to my speedo, I'm correct . Actual speed differs and that's probably why there is a difference. I've done tons of top speed gear runs for 1st and 2nd with the stock gearing
But then all you've proven is that the speedo is either inaccurate or hard to read, right? If you yank the speedo off the bike entirely and forget about any gauges whatsoever, at the rev limiter (or in fact, at any engine speed), the bike will now go 15/14ths as fast as it did before (at that same engine speed). No faster than that, no slower than that, but in fact exactly 15/14ths faster. Any perceived difference in the speedo or tach that differs with that, is only displaying the inaccuracy of the gauges rather than any true benefit in performance.

Old June 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #32
Live2ride

Quote:
But then all you've proven is that the speedo is either inaccurate or hard to read, right? If you yank the speedo off the bike entirely and forget about any gauges whatsoever, at the rev limiter (or in fact, at any engine speed), the bike will now go 15/14ths as fast as it did before (at that same engine speed). No faster than that, no slower than that, but in fact exactly 15/14ths faster. Any perceived difference in the speedo or tach that differs with that, is only displaying the inaccuracy of the gauges rather than any true benefit in performance.
exactly

Old June 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #33
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Quote:
Well, according to my speedo, I'm correct . Actual speed differs and that's probably why there is a difference. I've done tons of top speed gear runs for 1st and 2nd with the stock gearing and I'm simply stating my results, before it was just under 35, now it's almost right on 40 indicated. I know according to the ninjette speed calculator it shouldn't make that much of a difference . Either way,right or wrong, I like it .

Anyway, I went for another ride and found out that in hot weather the rpm are higher, more like 1,000 above my speed. I'm not trying to overstate this mod, it simply works very well for me. I can now shift less while accelerating. I use to shift up to 3rd while going through parking lots but now I can run them in 2nd comfortably. I'm hoping that this also increases gas mileage a little because of others showing the same result (Alex, I know that you've said it shouldn't effect gas mileage much, if at all, because you need more throttle at any given speed). I'll post my mpg after I run through this tank (just filled up); I've been averaging 49-50mpg with the stock gearing.

I'm very happy with this mod because I wasn't expecting as many benefits as I received. I can't stress enough that this is what I wanted from my bike and not necessarily what others may want; although I would certainly recommend that others try this mod.
What! You mean this sprocket doesnt turn my bike into a 600?!?! You owe me $14 cause I just ordered one. JK If it decreases the RPM's any then it should be a great mod. I am excited for it and the bike isnt even mine, its my gf's but I ride it more than she does right now. I just love the little bike. I cant believe you only get 50mpg. I've only filled hers up 2 times now, but shes averaging 56 and thats with her practicing in slow speeds and a little gas spilling out from her dropping it.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #34
crazymater91
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcus

Motorcycle(s): 1994 kawasaki ninja 250

So what fuel mileage. Are yall averaging.??? Am running 14/48 and averaging 61 just curious
crazymater91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymater91 View Post
So what fuel mileage. Are yall averaging.???
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13536

Old June 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #36
crazymater91
ninjette.org member

Those running 15 in the front

Old June 7th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #37
Live2ride

I'll let you know after this tank. I weigh about 240lbs which apparently plays a large role in mpg. I averaged 49-50 with the stock gearing on my new gen.

Old June 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #38
crazymater91
ninjette.org member

Ahh thanks Alek I seen it awhile ago but couldn't find it again

Old June 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #39
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymater91 View Post
Those running 15 in the front
I only had one full fill up on my stock and that was just below 60, should be needing a fillup pretty soon on this tank but it will be half 14T half 15T so I wont know the true number for a while. I wager 65-70 hopefully

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #40
kkim

Quote:
I only had one full fill up on my stock and that was just below 60, should be needing a fillup pretty soon on this tank but it will be half 14T half 15T so I wont know the true number for a while. I wager 65-70 hopefully
highly doubt it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote