ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 27th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Accessory Coverage on Insurance

Although I'm getting back a nice amount for my n1k ($200 less than what I paid OTD) I'm getting screwed on the accessory coverage. I submitted nearly $1000 worth of accessories receipts and assumed I'd be getting a good chunk of that back. Wrong, they want to give me $250 and they won't budge off that number. Reason being that the accessories do not increase the value of the bike. The adjuster asked me, "Would you pay $1000 more for that bike because of the accessories?"

Well **** no I wouldn't, but insurance should cover a like replacement of these items and not have me paying $700 out of pocket to buy them again.

So question is, does anyone else have this issue with accessory coverage? At this point I'm just going to go take everything off the bike that isn't damaged and sell it since I will get far more money back.

I have AAA btw
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I see the point of the insurance companies, it doesn't increase the value, if there is a Jiggles in a parralel universe who got insured for the same as you, payed the same premiums but didn't buy any accessories, why should you get any more money than him in a crash? That just drives up premiums for everyone.

Here they let you take your stuff off and revert it to stock if the stuff is still good and you want it.

I've got a riders policy for any bike I wish to ride of any value with a CC limit of 250, so my accesories are covered in the cost of the bike, but I need to declare any accesories to my insurance company or my insurance will be invalidated.

Some people insure single bikes to them, in that case you need to declare the bikes total value and the write off will be that or there about, people use this to get cheaper insurance for first time drivers by valuing your vehicle below price, and increasing your excess.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I had no issue with progressive with mine. What they did was total up the bike and all mods to get my settlement amount for the bike then the extra accessory coverage paid for my gear that I submitted. I was glad since disability ripps you off I had to use that to supplement my pay loss lol.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
What accessories are we talking about here? Just curious. Is my tail bag an accessory? Is my riding jacket? My AreaP?
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
polokid699
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ZZR600

if you don't have a claim, can you call them and have them raise the coverage amount because of the value of the accessories ?
polokid699 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
I see the point of the insurance companies, it doesn't increase the value, if there is a Jiggles in a parralel universe who got insured for the same as you, payed the same premiums but didn't buy any accessories, why should you get any more money than him in a crash? That just drives up premiums for everyone.

Here they let you take your stuff off and revert it to stock if the stuff is still good and you want it.

I've got a riders policy for any bike I wish to ride of any value with a CC limit of 250, so my accesories are covered in the cost of the bike, but I need to declare any accesories to my insurance company or my insurance will be invalidated.

Some people insure single bikes to them, in that case you need to declare the bikes total value and the write off will be that or there about, people use this to get cheaper insurance for first time drivers by valuing your vehicle below price, and increasing your excess.
Because I am paying for $3000 of accessory coverage which is supposed to reimburse me for any accessories damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
What accessories are we talking about here? Just curious. Is my tail bag an accessory? Is my riding jacket? My AreaP?
We are talking about a corbin seat, givi mount and top case, heated grips, and relay, in total, just under $1000 new. I understand that this stuff isn't new anymore however, insurance should cover a like replacement right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
I had no issue with progressive with mine. What they did was total up the bike and all mods to get my settlement amount for the bike then the extra accessory coverage paid for my gear that I submitted. I was glad since disability ripps you off I had to use that to supplement my pay loss lol.
What kind of accessories did you have? How much did you pay for them and how much did they give you back? This is separate from gear by the way, gear is under its own distinction.
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by polokid699 View Post
if you don't have a claim, can you call them and have them raise the coverage amount because of the value of the accessories ?
I have no idea what you just tried to say.
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Because I am paying for $3000 of accessory coverage which is supposed to reimburse me for any accessories damaged
Fair enough, that sucks then.

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
You have an accessories policy explicitly? Then yeah it should be covered in my view. The point of insurance is to make you whole -- you lost X you get the ability to get X back, not the cash-you-would've-had-if-you-sold-X.

I know when I had a hurricane hit my house in TX they did a policy of value or replacement. That is, they cut a check for the value if I had sold it -- but when I replaced it then I could submit a receipt of the replacement and they sent a check for the difference. That seems fair to me (and removes some risk of insurance fraud and such).
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Yep, that's how I understand it too. I'm having my agent send me a copy of my 5000 page policy so I can look up exactly what the accessory coverage covers and how its calculated. If it says something different than what the adjuster has told me then we have a problem. If it says the same thing that the adjuster told me then we still have a problem because that is farking horse shiz
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I didn't go through this on my 250 because I had a friend help me remove all the accessories like area p, heated grips, relay, etc. and then I just reused or sold them. With the n1k though, it was never at my house so I couldn't take it apart and get my stuff off of it. Now my bike is about an hour away, I can still go take stuff off it but I can't remove it from the lot. The only thing worth taking is the seat and maybe the relay anyway. Hmmmm idk
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Here's what I've found

Quote:
ÆÇ ŸÈÑÉÊÉËÒ×ØÓÌÙÒÍÔÚñÈÕòÉÛÎóÕÜÏÓôÝÉõÖÈöÞÖÉ÷ËößÐøùàúûáöâãüýäþåÿæ��çèÿéêëìí£Ÿ Xîìî ï
ð &2 3'¬4(
)5LX*6YM7+,N8O-9P.:/;8_Q-<'R0=N>a1b?Sc@TdUAeSBfVCcDTgWEXhiXYYjXZ5kY65l7k67m Fn!G["Hop\ ]I#Jk $^j%K {Š³‹|´}~5¡
6¢¬›€7¢¡‚ŒŸD|£q€Ž¥rŽs|t‘¤ƒ˜‚’„u…“v”•ƒw–|—† †x
˜‡y™z€šˆ› ‰œL¬
MžŸ›Ÿ* ×µÙ ÚÌñÀòÁͶÁóÎÜÂÏô÷¦Ð¦õçÑöÄÞÏ÷ÅÏöÆߨÂÒø©ÃùàªÎúÓû«Çá¬Ï*öÈâ®ÔãÉϯLÕ°¸MÕå¨Ï±æÖþ ¬ç²Íÿ¯˜×��è��Ø™³¹©ºÿ¬ °!뻯"í* #´ $Ÿ%¼Œ½Ê¼Ë¤¾˜Ž¿Ž 234 [5Lj\6k]M7l^kN8mOn9P˜;pO8™kQ<jR=N>à?á@ÀâÁßÙãÁÚÂÜÛÜÃ_äÃÝ'åæÞ˜çÅ™ÆÂau5bÃv6cw7dYexFZf yGHcz5IgJ6Lh7KiM
芦‹§éêë5¨À6Á©ì7ÁªíÂÃ*èŒÃ®ïÞí¯ŽêŽÅ°îÆ‘¨êñðý¬’²ï¯“ñ”ò•³–ð©—ꬰóꯘô*™þíî÷ õøùöøúûü ()4 5ÿ6ÿ��7 5N6O7POQ LR!MN" ˜!À™Á_#Á$Â"Ã5à !6 %Þ&7"Å'Æ
Â#F
$ÃG*H I
JKëL»¤˜
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #13
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
...and if it was stolen, they would/should cover it, so something doesn't seem right here.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Apparently you can't copy paste PDFs.....
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Ok here, screen shot!

Am I getting screwed by subsection C?

AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #16
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Ok here, screen shot!

Am I getting screwed by subsection C?
Nice out (for them). If accessories don't increase the value of the bike, C lets them give you 0 for your accessories (or a "generous" 25c on the dollar in your case). Heck, they should advertise free $20,000 coverage on accessories.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Nice out (for them). If accessories don't increase the value of the bike, C lets them give you 0 for your accessories (or a "generous" 25c on the dollar in your case). Heck, they should advertise free $20,000 coverage on accessories.
For real, I'd have to add like $12000 of accessories to utilize that 3k coverage

Lameskies...

Check your policies people
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Are your grips and your seat recoverable?

It may be worth recovering them and returning them to stock then getting a quote for replacing only the top box, that'll add the most value to your bike i'd assume.

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #19
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
check your policies people
can't emphasize this enough

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #20
lgk

if i read that statement right, they should pay you full value for any part that does not replace an OEM part. the only ones you listed that meet that requirement is the seat and relay. which they will pay the increase in value on which is $0.

i would get the heated grips, relay, and seat back, but they should pay you in full for the givi case and mount.

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Are your grips and your seat recoverable?

It may be worth recovering them and returning them to stock then getting a quote for replacing only the top box, that'll add the most value to your bike i'd assume.
Yea I'm considering this but the bike is an hour away and I can't remove it from the lot. The seat would really be the only thing worth pulling off. And if I'm able to sell the seat for $250 I'm looking at about $200 profit less 2hrs of driving, gas and shipping for the seat if I sell it. I'm thinking its just not worth it. I should have pulled off the seat when I still had access to the bike in San Jose but the adjuster told me I'd get money back for it so I was like **** it, if they give me back $200 for the seat then I'm fine with that.

So yea, I guess I'll just take it up the butt on this one
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
if i read that statement right, they should pay you full value for any part that does not replace an OEM part. the only ones you listed that meet that requirement is the seat and relay. which they will pay the increase in value on which is $0.

i would get the heated grips, relay, and seat back, but they should pay you in full for the givi case and mount.
How so?
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #23
codestp202

You never responded to me about the price of those stands jiggles!

Old February 27th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
You never responded to me about the price of those stands jiggles!
Oh uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

$80 shipped
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #25
codestp202

Quote:
Oh uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

$80 shipped
lol I offered 65 shipped, what about 70? / Are they in good condition (any bent parts etc?)

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Well I'm probably looking at at least $25 to ship them so lets say $75. Less than $50 in my pocket just aint worth it
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
perfect condition
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #28
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Couldn't you provide examples of people tallying the value of accessories in with the price of their bikes as material evidence that the value is increased? (at lease enough to get you paid)
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I could try but honestly I doubt it would work
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #30
lgk

Quote:
How so?
just my experience in dealing with car wrecks. my old policy had a similar clause.
they didn't want to add value for a turbo kit and wheels when they totalled my car.

i ended up pulling my a lot of my stuff out, and throwing the stock stuff into the passenger seat.

they try to group replacement parts on the vehicle as improvements, because that usually pays out the least, and they know that the vehicle won't bring much more at auction with aftermarket parts.

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
So you mean, take the corbin off and put the stock back on and then claim it? I don't think that will work
AFM #676

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #32
lgk

Quote:
So you mean, take the corbin off and put the stock back on and then claim it? I don't think that will work
no what i mean is if they don't pay you for the stuff take it back or exchange with OEM parts.

then there's no need to claim it.
they paid for all the OEM stuff in the cost of the bike.

did they send a break down on how they figured the $250?

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
no what i mean is if they don't pay you for the stuff take it back or exchange with OEM parts.

then there's no need to claim it.
they paid for all the OEM stuff in the cost of the bike.

did they send a break down on how they figured the $250?
Oh well thats what I said I was going to do but its really not worth the time or effort considering how far away the bike is right now.

The accessories just says $252 thats it
AFM #676

Old February 28th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Find a new company. I've posted it up in other threads, but Nationwide didn't blink an eye at the accessories coverage, or covering my gear. They added $3K to settlement for the accessories, and covered a very fair portion of the damaged gear (some of it was a few years old). None of it required anything other than simple listing of what I had, how much it cost, and how old it was.

Reading your policy, I do think they are being quite picky if they are using that wording to deny virtually all of your accessory coverage.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #35
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:

We are talking about a corbin seat, givi mount and top case, heated grips, and relay, in total, just under $1000 new. I understand that this stuff isn't new anymore however, insurance should cover a like replacement right?

What kind of accessories did you have? How much did you pay for them and how much did they give you back? This is separate from gear by the way, gear is under its own distinction.
Gear came out of my 3k for accessory coverage, all the stuff on my bike was added into the figure for my bike settlement so my base value of the bike was 3600 then they added up all the stuff i put on it ans offered me 4400 for replacement, then cut me a check for all the gear i was wearing, all i had to do was submit pics, they comped me 2700 bucks for gear.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #36
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Reading your policy, I do think they are being quite picky if they are using that wording to deny virtually all of your accessory coverage.
Hmm I'll look into nationwide once all my settlements are finished
AFM #676