ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

The Infamous Glendora Mountain Road (So. Cal.)

Took a quick ride up GMR.......lots of twisties!!!!!!

Saw a guy later that day on a 250 go down. Pulled over to get his bike up and running and to make sure he was okay.

Me: How long you've been riding?
Him: (holding his leg in pain) 2 months.
Me: Why are you up here?????

GMR is beautiful but also can be a nightmare!

Link to original page on YouTube.

adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Chubbs032
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 250r

sweet video, where do you mount your camera?
Chubbs032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #3
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

What camera?

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #4
adri99an

I have a Flip camera and bought a 10 buck mount from EBAY 2 years ago or so. Fits in front of the gauge panel - I attached it to the frame somehow. It has a good view of the road and no noise!! The Flip video camera has come a long way since I bought mine 2 years ago and it is super light so you don't need a really heavy duty mount. The software to make and edit videos is user friendly and fun. I have video of me chasing some 600s up the canyon - that will be on here soon! Today- there are many cameras and mounts to choose from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 063.jpg (82.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (80.2 KB, 6 views)

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Very cool! I like

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #6
adri99an

Kevo---I haven't seen you since we rode those Kawis at the Ticket to Ride Event. We gotta hit the canyon when you're ready??

Old June 20th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

I know we need to! Ive been playing around in the canyons by my house and its so addicting!

I'll upload all the videos I took soon

Right when I get a pair of true riding pants I'm down. Give me two weeks to get paid lol

My handroid gloves come in tomorrow

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
I know we need to! Ive been playing around in the canyons by my house and its so addicting!

I'll upload all the videos I took soon

Right when I get a pair of true riding pants I'm down. Give me two weeks to get paid lol

My handroid gloves come in tomorrow

Thise are sweetbass gloves, I want a pair but have a hard time shelling out 300 bucks for gloves, if I ever start to do track days those are the ones I am getting.

As for GMR that road is no ****ing joke, between the massive decreasing radius turns, cars that cross the double yellow and retards that pass you on the outside and inside turns as if it were a track it can get pretty damn sketchy. Definitely a road you better know what the **** you are doing on before heading up.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Nice video
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Awesome road! There twists around every corner.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:57 AM   #11
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post

Nice gloves. I am really liking what I have seen and heard about the Held Titan. I plan to pick up a pair next year to use for my track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an
Me: How long you've been riding?
Him: (holding his leg in pain) 2 months.
Me: Why are you up here?????
I personally think jumping in headfirst, so long as you have a working knowledge base, is a great way to do many things. I don't believe riding is any different. I know that starting on a 250 and riding poor quality roads with racetrack-like layouts and constant elevation changes made me a better rider faster. I wouldn't have asked why he was there. I would have asked what he remembered about the spill to help him avoid it in the future.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #12
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Nice gloves. I am really liking what I have seen and heard about the Held Titan. I plan to pick up a pair next year to use for my track days.

I personally think jumping in headfirst, so long as you have a working knowledge base, is a great way to do many things. I don't believe riding is any different. I know that starting on a 250 and riding poor quality roads with racetrack-like layouts and constant elevation changes made me a better rider faster. I wouldn't have asked why he was there. I would have asked what he remembered about the spill to help him avoid it in the future.
I hear ya on that- but I wasn't there to lecture him or try to get in his mind. I guess I was pissed that he was up there with little riding experience and that will get you reallllly hurt! By the end of te conversation that lasted 2 minutes- I think he knew he shouldn't be up here playing in the canyons. I just wanted to make sure he was ok, to get his bike out of the middle of the road and up and running. Lots of other guys just rode by.

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #13
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Omg that is beautiful. I can't wait to live in so cal again. Great song choice btw

I can't blame that guy for wanting to ride those beautiful canyons so soon, how very tempting that must be for a new rider. If I was a new rider in so cal, I couldn't say that I would have been able to hold myself back from taking that ride either. I have only been riding for about 2 months myself. Having yet to expierence riding in the twisties (only lots of interstate/ highway and city riding thus far) I am so anxious to find some scenic twisty roads, I can practically taste it.

Any tips or advice for me before I get out for the real fun?

Old July 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #14
adri99an

Ride your own ride or what's comfortable with you. Try riding when there aren't a lot of people, cars and other distractions. Look WAY ahead when in a twisty and NOT straight at the ground or 5 feet in front of you. You gotta make sure the roads are debris free ie. gravel, sand, dirt as any of these small things can get you in an accident. Ride safely and at your own pace. It's good to do a pre-ride to see what type of condition the road is in. Don't grab too much brake as many people lock up the front wheel this way.

#1 thing I do is BEFORE a twisty or a corner is get everything out of the way: braking, gear shifting- when in your turn hang your butt cheek off the seat slightly- get your head near the mirror and throttle out of the turn. If you apply the front brake in a turn and you are in a lean- the bike will dip further. If I need to use my brake in a turn I just tap it slightly and use a little of the rear as well. It's all about practice practie practice!

Here's some footage of me in some turns....not perfect but you get the idea.

Where you from in Cali?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-tHhVYN40

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #15
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Ride your own ride or what's comfortable with you. Try riding when there aren't a lot of people, cars and other distractions. Look WAY ahead when in a twisty and NOT straight at the ground or 5 feet in front of you. You gotta make sure the roads are debris free ie. gravel, sand, dirt as any of these small things can get you in an accident. Ride safely and at your own pace. It's good to do a pre-ride to see what type of condition the road is in. Don't grab too much brake as many people lock up the front wheel this way.

#1 thing I do is BEFORE a twisty or a corner is get everything out of the way: braking, gear shifting- when in your turn hang your butt cheek off the seat slightly- get your head near the mirror and throttle out of the turn. If you apply the front brake in a turn and you are in a lean- the bike will dip further. If I need to use my brake in a turn I just tap it slightly and use a little of the rear as well. It's all about practice practie practice!

Here's some footage of me in some turns....not perfect but you get the idea.

Where you from in Cali?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-tHhVYN40
Awesome vid and thanks for the advice,I'll be sure to re read and remember it. One other thing I was wondering about is the stock tires. I still have the stock tires on my bike and have heard mixed feelings about them and it makes me wonder. Personally I haven't had any inncodents with them but then again I haven't rode my bike like that ^^^ before either. Should I replace them for better tires before goin to the twisties?

I'm from central california and grew up in Folsom, (you know, Folsom prison
blues..johnny cash. Ring any bells? Haha) but I have spent a lot of time in so cal my whole life, mainly the San Diego area. The So cal and SD area are my favorite places in the country. I was starioned in Coronado for a little bit for training but it didn't work out and I got sent here to DC I'll be outta the navy soon tho and am seriously considering moving to so cal from dc, using my gi bill for college and going to San Diego state...if not I'll be back in Folsom for 2 years then move to so cal. Either way I'm determined to live/end up in so cal B)

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #16
adri99an

So Cal rocks....lived here my entire life....DC in the sumer is the pits-YIKES!!! Going to San Diego in a few weeks with the family...about an 1 1/2 hrs from my home. I hear San diego has some nice twisties there!

Anyhoo..the stock tires you have are probably the IRCs...I wouldn't lean on those if I were you....they are okay but I've heard some weird things about those tires.....I'd get as much use out of them as possible then upgrade to some BT16s or the BT45s, or the Michellin Pilot Powers I or IIs. Where's a pic of your bike?

Old July 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #17
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So Cal rocks....lived here my entire life....DC in the sumer is the pits-YIKES!!! Going to San Diego in a few weeks with the family...about an 1 1/2 hrs from my home. I hear San diego has some nice twisties there!

Anyhoo..the stock tires you have are probably the IRCs...I wouldn't lean on those if I were you....they are okay but I've heard some weird things about those tires.....I'd get as much use out of them as possible then upgrade to some BT16s or the BT45s, or the Michellin Pilot Powers I or IIs. Where's a pic of your bike?
Here's a couple pics from my Facebook

http://m.facebook.com/home.php?refsr...795126&refid=0

Sorry all I have is my iPhone right now...couldn't think of any other way to put a picture up.

What tires are you running on your bike?

Oh ya, I wouldn't mind buying a set of michellins early and taking off the IRC's if it meant a better ride and more confidence in the twisties. I've always had michelins on my truck and have had nothing but good experiences and performance.

Are these the pilot power 2 tires you are referring to?

http://www.revzilla.com/product/mich...wer-2-ct-tires

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #18
adri99an

I'm running the Michelin PP1- 120 front 150 rear.....I'd take those IRCs off soon if youre going to be doing some canyon riding. I think Motorcyclesuperstore sells them for a bit less than Revzilla.

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #19
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm running the Michelin PP1- 120 front 150 rear.....I'd take those IRCs off soon if youre going to be doing some canyon riding. I think Motorcyclesuperstore sells them for a bit less than Revzilla.
Only about $200 for a pair...nice.

Old July 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #20
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
Only about $200 for a pair...nice.
That is where I got mine from, waiting to have them installed. They are great tires, I have them on the fazer and they grip well and teens to get good milage.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
i donno... i've seen some serious riding on IRCs. they may not be as sticky as other tires but i think they're more than sticky enough for what the ninja can put down... if you treat them right.

here's a set of stock IRCs ditching 2 6's...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #22
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yeah, summer in DC blows for the most part. It's the humidity that makes it horrible...there is thunder storms and torrential down pours in 90 degree heat...it's retarded I hate it haha. The good thing is being close to Virginia, lots of scenery there and some beaches tho I haven't been yet.

If I move to so cal it will be near or in San Clemente, where my girlfriend currently lives and goes to school. I'll knock out 2 years of community college and transfer to SDSU

Old July 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #23
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Just got me a set of pilot powers

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #24
adri99an

Put them on!!! Check out the ride we went on today...it's under Ride Reports- Malibu Valen dolce ride July 10....video in the making!!!! When you get to Cali we'll go for a ride.

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #25
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

You guys gotta come out to track days or preferably the CVMA race series! You'll learn SO much more at the track about your own riding style and the capabilities of the bike without having to worry about the morons that make the mountains dangerous. If getting there/gear/knowledge is an issue, I'm SURE there are some ninja riders or other riders near you more than willing to help out
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #26
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Put them on!!! Check out the ride we went on today...it's under Ride Reports- Malibu Valen dolce ride July 10....video in the making!!!! When you get to Cali we'll go for a ride.
Definitely will the moment they arrive. I ordered thru motorcycle superstore and used this option they provide to send them to a local shop that accepts their shipments for no hassle installation...awesome

Can't seem to find your video mind linking me? Oh yeah I'm def down for that. I'm coming to San Clemente for a week of leave in august...no ninja tho

I am looking forward to get some beach time in tho

Old July 12th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #27
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
Definitely will the moment they arrive. I ordered thru motorcycle superstore and used this option they provide to send them to a local shop that accepts their shipments for no hassle installation...awesome

Can't seem to find your video mind linking me? Oh yeah I'm def down for that. I'm coming to San Clemente for a week of leave in august...no ninja tho

I am looking forward to get some beach time in tho
Here ya go!
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...039#post325039

You bringing your Ninja? Maybe hit you up for a ride??

Old July 12th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #28
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Here ya go!
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...039#post325039

You bringing your Ninja? Maybe hit you up for a ride??
Dang, looks like a blast! Unfortunately no only flyin up there for a week then back to DC. When I move up there tho I'll let y'all know...a motorcycle ride will be just about the first thing on my to do list