ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 24th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #1
james250ninja
james250ninjette.newbie

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): 1986 ninja 250

Smile the choke

im in jersey its getting cold, i shimmed my needles .
when i got too start my bike inthe morning its haed to start ,even when i use the choke its still hard to start ,after 7 tries it finally starts up

any ideas on how to start the bike in morning
james250ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by james250ninja View Post
im in jersey its getting cold, i shimmed my needles .
when i got too start my bike inthe morning its haed to start ,even when i use the choke its still hard to start ,after 7 tries it finally starts up

any ideas on how to start the bike in morning
The Ninja is hard to start in the cold, shims, or no shims, choke or no choke. Period. Using the choke is just adding more fuel to the carb that is already richened by shims. Instead try starting the bike without the choke and let it try to idle up on it's own for a bit then try micro turning the throttle to help it along until it is able to maintain a low idle on it's own. Be patient, it may take a starting cycle or two, but it will get going. Also keep in mind that there are a number of other factors going on (temp, winter blend gas & air density). You may even have to adjust your idle speed (up and down) a little for the fall / winter riding season. All of these things will have an affect on performance.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

when it's real cold, kick it.

Old November 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #4
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
The Ninja is hard to start in the cold, shims, or no shims, choke or no choke. Period. Using the choke is just adding more fuel to the carb that is already richened by shims. Instead try starting the bike without the choke and let it try to idle up on it's own for a bit then try micro turning the throttle to help it along until it is able to maintain a low idle on it's own. Be patient, it may take a starting cycle or two, but it will get going. Also keep in mind that there are a number of other factors going on (temp, winter blend gas & air density). You may even have to adjust your idle speed (up and down) a little for the fall / winter riding season. All of these things will have an affect on performance.
This is my first winter with the 250R. My 650R always started right up because of the FI. I have never gone more that two weeks without riding, but I am kind of worried about starting the 250 when it gets real cold out. Would using premium gas and/or sea foam help in any way with cold weather starts ?

Last futzed with by ninjaprof; November 6th, 2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: I can't spell
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaprof View Post
This is my first winter with the 250R. My 650R always started right up because of the FI. I have never gone more that two weeks without riding, but I am kind of worried about starting the 250 when it gets real cold out. Would using premium gas and/or sea foam help in any way with cold weather starts ?
Premium gas does nothing. Seafoam will help keep the carbs from varnishing and help keep possible moisture out of the tank if you go a couple of months not starting the bike. If you keep the bike started thru the winter and the battery charged you'll be OK. It takes a lil bit to get the Ninja warm and going sometimes, but it's normal for carbs. Storing the bike inside and away from the elements helps a lot.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote