ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 5th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

1st to 2nd clutch slippage

if i am really getting on the bike and go from 1st to second i get what feels like at least like a lot of clutch slippage. my body shoots forward a lot as i slow down some from the lack of acceleration for that half a second or so. is this just typical wet clutch performance or is my clutch adjusted improperly?
i know I can shift clutchlessly. just curious if this is how it should react.
atomicrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

the slipping seems to happen when i release the clutch to engage second when at high rpms. when i say high i mean like after nearly redlining

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #3
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

accelerate in first to redline, let off gas and clutch and shift very fast(motogp style ) let clutch back out and it seems like the clutch slips and struggles to engage at the high rpms once engaged it is fine though

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hard to tell from your description whether you're slipping the clutch too much unnecessarily, or if there is something wrong with the clutch adjustment.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrm View Post
the slipping seems to happen when i release the clutch to engage second when at high rpms. when i say high i mean like after nearly redlining
No need to reach those high rpm's between 1 and 2.

Check that you have at least a minimum slack in the lever entering the clutch cover when the clutch is released.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Normal and operator error. Move along plz.

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #7
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

My '94 did this too until I replaced the plates, fibers & springs. I found out after I took it apart that I probably could've gotten away with just new springs, as the plates & fibers looked fine.

But before you go tearing into the bike, make sure that when you release the clutch, there's at least a couple mm of space between the lever and the base..that's your freeplay, and there needs to be some. If the handle rests against the base after release, use the adjustment screw on the base to add some freeplay.

If you get slippage after an adjustment, you may need new springs, or a whole new setup depending on how worn the fibers & plates are.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #8
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Sounds like you're revving it too high in 1st & it's you not the bike tbh.
the shift from 1st to 2nd is the longest, so it sounds like you're botching the shift by pinning it to redline and mis-judging where your revs need to be to re-engage smoothly.

Try revving it to about 8k then changing see if that helps.

I wouldn't clutchless shift 1>2, that's tempting fate with hitting neutral, but 2>3 and so on are fine.

The bike can get a little picky about shifting if it needs an oil change.

Adjust your riding style (lower RPM shift from 1st) , check your lever for play (is it in spec?) and change the oil & filter (In that order with a test run in between each step) before deciding you have to take the bike apart & buy loads of new pieces.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote