ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

She stepped out on me today....

On my commute I travel a stretch of I-295 that runs right next to a bend in the Delaware river. It also curves and elevates here over a creek with a marina so it's always windy, worse heading south bounds as it's wide open over the water. The river acting like a wind tunnel.

It was pretty breezy this afternoon, but no big deal on my south bound trip. First the usual traffic silliness with the Rt 1 ramps, then right beyond, around the bend, there's crap in the road blowing around and traffic comes to a screaming stop. Maybe the remains of a truck tire or something, looked like a billowy mesh.

Anyway, things get moving and start moving again back to 70 -75 mph with the left lane 80 -85 mph like normal. Then I get to the windy stretch where I-195 and Rt 29 merge, just for a bit of extra excitement. I tuck in tighter to lower my "wide" profile as much as I can, dogging the crazy merging traffic, no big deal. I get to the apex of this long curve section doing about 65 mph in a long line of cars, in the right lane, and a large gust of wind hits me from the right rear. I feel the gust hit and the back of the bike feels light, then skips to the left about six inches and actually chirps. Surprised to say the least.

Now thinking about it, I wonder if the wind got under my tail-bag and acted like a sail. The bag is secure but not rock tight to my rear seat. Anyway, just a little extra bit of excitement on my commute home today.
NJ Ninjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Ninjette View Post
On my commute I travel a stretch of I-295 that runs right next to a bend in the Delaware river. It also curves and elevates here over a creek with a marina so it's always windy, worse heading south bounds as it's wide open over the water. The river acting like a wind tunnel.

It was pretty breezy this afternoon, but no big deal on my south bound trip. First the usual traffic silliness with the Rt 1 ramps, then right beyond, around the bend, there's crap in the road blowing around and traffic comes to a screaming stop. Maybe the remains of a truck tire or something, looked like a billowy mesh.

Anyway, things get moving and start moving again back to 70 -75 mph with the left lane 80 -85 mph like normal. Then I get to the windy stretch where I-195 and Rt 29 merge, just for a bit of extra excitement. I tuck in tighter to lower my "wide" profile as much as I can, dogging the crazy merging traffic, no big deal. I get to the apex of this long curve section doing about 65 mph in a long line of cars, in the right lane, and a large gust of wind hits me from the right rear. I feel the gust hit and the back of the bike feels light, then skips to the left about six inches and actually chirps. Surprised to say the least.

Now thinking about it, I wonder if the wind got under my tail-bag and acted like a sail. The bag is secure but not rock tight to my rear seat. Anyway, just a little extra bit of excitement on my commute home today.

Kinda the same thing that happend to my front tire..... to help your case I wear a back pack LOL
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

i think a gust of wind blew a mini van over into my lane today. First time i ever had to use the shoulder but anywho, i dont use a tank bag but i do wear a back pack and i dont feel that the wind affects me any differently if i have my pack on or not. maybe you should try a backpack?
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #4
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I've had wind do something similar to me before. I was in a fairly good lean angle on a left turn when a gust of wind hit me from the left. I felt the bike start to come up and the rear slip a bit. I don't ride with saddle bags or anything (and in all likelyhood, I had a backpack on).

Just something that happens from time to time I think. Stay calm and roll on.

oh the stuff I waste my time on...
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Were you turning to the right?

If so, you had the centrifugal force helping the gust to produce the skid.

You also had less load (and friction to resist the skid) on the rear tire when you were in a tight tucked position.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Were you turning to the right?

If so, you had the centrifugal force helping the gust to produce the skid.

You also had less load (and friction to resist the skid) on the rear tire when you were in a tight tucked position.
This part of the interstate is a sweeping left hander...interesting about the tucked position. This isn't the first time the wind has played tricks with me in this area.

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
wow making a left turn and the wind pushed the back wheel to the left? thats unbelievable

Old May 13th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #8
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

I went thru there again today on the way home from my sister-in-law's house and I think I have a better explanation. I noticed there are raised metal expansion joints that I'm now sure played a big part in my story.

Old May 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Makes sense.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I've had wind do something similar to me before. I was in a fairly good lean angle on a left turn when a gust of wind hit me from the left. I felt the bike start to come up and the rear slip a bit. I don't ride with saddle bags or anything (and in all likelyhood, I had a backpack on).

Just something that happens from time to time I think. Stay calm and roll on.

oh the stuff I waste my time on...
ahahaa that is an epic card. HP is for horsepower in this case i'm assuming
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote