ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 4th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #41
FloRiduh
Frank & Flo

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I believe Alex was referring to any evident damage to the splines of the shaft or sprocket, as those were rubbing to each other while the output shaft was rotating when in gear but not the out of position sprocket-chain-rear wheel.
Although the steel of the shaft is harder than the steel of the sprocket, the thread at the end of the shaft could have suffered damaged as well.

Those two splines should slide respect to each other without any radial or torsional play.

Please, see these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spline_%28mechanical%29

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...ys/Spline.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broachi...etalworking%29

Ohhhhh! I will have to look at that tomorrow! If it is damaged? What do I have to do to replace it?

Tomorrow I will be putting the new nut and the washer on the bike.

I bought some thread lock to hold it in place better. If I understood it correctly, the thread lock will go on the bolt that the sprocket is sitting on, right?
FloRiduh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #42
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloRiduh View Post
Ohhhhh! I will have to look at that tomorrow! If it is damaged? What do I have to do to replace it?

Tomorrow I will be putting the new nut and the washer on the bike.

I bought some thread lock to hold it in place better. If I understood it correctly, the thread lock will go on the bolt that the sprocket is sitting on, right?
If you feel play between sprocket and shaft, replacing the sprocket would be the first step.

Thread lock is not needed, but if you decide using some, go blue, never red, which is permanent.

The critical thing is the recommended torque to be applied on the nut.
You should use a torque wrench.
See this:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111031

Later, one or two sides of the soft washer should be bent over along the flat sides of the nut.
The interior teeth of the washer should grab the little portion of the spline of the shaft that stands off the face of the sprocket, so the washer cannot rotate respect to the shaft.

Last futzed with by Motofool; June 5th, 2015 at 10:02 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2015, 05:26 AM   #43
FloRiduh
Frank & Flo

Quote:
If you feel play between sprocket and shaft, replacing the sprocket would be the first step.

Thread lock is not needed, but if you decide using some, go blue, never red, which is permanent.

The critical thing is the recommended torque to be applied on the nut.
You should use a torque wrench.
See this:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111031

Later, one or two sides of the soft washer should be bent over along the flat sides of the nut.
The interior teeth of the washer should grab the little portion of the spline of the shaft that stands off the face of the sprocket, so the washer cannot rotate respect to the shaft.

I felt no play in the sprocket area.

I did end up using thread lock (blue) just in case. Work at a dealership so they have all the tools I need. I used a torque wrench, at 94 ft/lbs of pressure to tighten the nut. It clicked into place and everything.

This is where I was stumped, the washer was smaller than the bolt, so I was unable to bend the washer. The bold sat on top of the washer. Did the bike shop give me the wrong washer? It looks like the correct bolt though.

What should I do?

Old June 8th, 2015, 06:52 AM   #44
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:

This is where I was stumped, the washer was smaller than the bolt, so I was unable to bend the washer. The bold sat on top of the washer. Did the bike shop give me the wrong washer? It looks like the correct bolt though.

What should I do?
You will need a bigger washer (see how the washer is suppossed to look in picture of previous posts) or a smaller nut.

Otherwise you will be back to the original dangerous situation.

Old June 10th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #45
FloRiduh
Frank & Flo

Quote:
You will need a bigger washer (see how the washer is suppossed to look in picture of previous posts) or a smaller nut.

Otherwise you will be back to the original dangerous situation.
You're right, it's already slowly coming loose :\

I called the shop and asked if they could order me a bigger washer and they said that the one they gave me is made for my bike, and that they wouldn't have another one.

He told me to go to a hardware store and buy one. Would a hardware store really have a washer like that?

Old June 10th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #46
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

No, hardware stores do not stock that specific part.
May it be that the nut is not the proper size?

Old June 10th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #47
FloRiduh
Frank & Flo

Quote:
No, hardware stores do not stock that specific part.
May it be that the nut is not the proper size?
Damn, that sucks.

I swear that service guy just does not care to try, not even a little bit. Seriously never going back there again.

I doubt the bolt is the wrong size, a buddy of mine has an 09 250 and I looked at his front sprocket and he has the same bolt as me and his washer is big enough that someone bent it so it wouldn't come off.

I tried looking online for a washer but nothing came up, so far. I'll keep looking.

Old June 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #48
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

If you have that bike to compare against, it will be easy to see what is wrong with yours.
Sorry that you have to go through all this.

Old June 11th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #49
FloRiduh
Frank & Flo

Quote:
If you have that bike to compare against, it will be easy to see what is wrong with yours.
Sorry that you have to go through all this.
Thankfully I do. He never minds letting me look at something on his bike.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. Thanks for all your help though!!

Old June 12th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #50
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX250-F "Sheldon" (Sold), 2010 Ninja 250R "Zeke"

Quote:
Thankfully I do. He never minds letting me look at something on his bike.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. Thanks for all your help though!!
Well wait a sec, if you have his bike next to yours, and your washer is clearly smaller... I'd send a picture of it to that shop, let them know that, no, they ordered the WRONG washer, and demand they order another one. In the mean time I'd plaster as much as I can on their Facebook page and whatnot, as suggested.

What's the name of this shop, exactly?
johncrist1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #51
FloRiduh
Frank & Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrist1988 View Post
Well wait a sec, if you have his bike next to yours, and your washer is clearly smaller... I'd send a picture of it to that shop, let them know that, no, they ordered the WRONG washer, and demand they order another one. In the mean time I'd plaster as much as I can on their Facebook page and whatnot, as suggested.

What's the name of this shop, exactly?
http://www.whitescyclemarine.com/

this is their website.

and facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...50395631653891

I told the guy that what they gave me was smaller and he said (Something along the lines of) "well, that's what we had for you bike, nothing else came up. I don't know what else to do about it." he told me to go to a hardware store and look for a washer that would fit.

It does not exist anywhere else.

Sooooo, I'm just going to either call another shop or look up the part myself, it has to exist. If it's on my friends bike.

The service guy is the I would talk to. I talked to the parts guys once and they were much younger and seemed a lot friendlier and they actually wanted to help and gave me proper advice.

I thought I had found a good shop, guess I was wrong :/

Old June 21st, 2015, 07:41 AM   #52
johncrist1988
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX250-F "Sheldon" (Sold), 2010 Ninja 250R "Zeke"

I work for the Department of Transportation -- I know people Bad review bomb incoming.
johncrist1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:15 PM   #53
FloRiduh
Frank & Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncrist1988 View Post
I work for the Department of Transportation -- I know people Bad review bomb incoming.
Ayyyyy thanks!