ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 27th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #1
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

Name: jd

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

ahhhh

my master link snapped going about 80 and im trying to put a new one on, any hints on how to get the locking washers to snap into place, or can i assemble the chain then put it on sprockets
miniguns167 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I really don't want to sound rude, but if you have to ask this question, you probably shouldn't be attempting to do something as critical as this on your own. Have it done by someone who knows how... and can show you how.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #3
kkim

what master link? my chain doesn't have one. what year is your bike?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #4
miniguns167
ninjette.org member

Name: jd

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

i managed to do it after alittle online video showed me how, not difficult at all but if ive never seen it done then it would be over my head, im a look and learn guy, and its an 08 model
miniguns167 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
kkim

I've changed from linkless chains to ones that use a master link, but why did you do that? obviously you didn't do it correct if it came off.

I suggest you search the Internet for the proper way to use a master link riveting tool. Make sure you use the right tool for the right job using the correct master link replacement for your chain brand and model.

You're lucky you didn't kill yourself when the chain came apart.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

i don't believe the side plates of the chain rub anything on an 08/09. I have seen some bikes that have a chain guide catch the master link clip and pop it off if the wheel moved backwards. Conversely if a master link clip is put on backwards and it catches something while the wheel rolls forward it could pop the clip off. Again, i don't see anything on my bike that rubs the side plates on my chain, which has no master link.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #7
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

I take it you had just replaced or had your chain replaced as most stock chains are always riveted on from the factory. I just replaced mine. Stock was riveted, replacement is spring clip masterlink. Wasn't to worried about using this kind as our bikes are low hp/torque if it was a 100hp bike definitly would use a rivet on masterlink. Just make sure you have the retaining clip all the way seated in the grooves and is pointed in the right direction, which I gather the video showed. Have about 4000kms on my chain since I replaced it, no problems.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote