Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

A More Casual Alternative to Boots

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...THE-BULLS-SHOE

I came across these today, and I'm thinking about giving them a try. I like the casual look with the protection and support for riding.

Opinions?
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

I didn't try and find the thread, but this has been discussed and the consensus is that they are worthless. You may as well wear street shoes.
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Ah, I see. I probably shouldn't have posted that in the first place. It's pretty much a guarantee that everyone will call squid on something like that. I'm not gonna buy full length boots for everyday riding. No matter what you get, they'll be like MX boots and you'll walk around looking like you have saddle sores. The only real problem with these is that they allow your anke to flex. It increases the risk of ankle injury, but I'm mostly concerned with impact resistance, and these seem like they would do the job.

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

No - you want the ankle protection. Who cares how cool you look? Most boots can tuck under your jeans anyway so they're hardly noticeable and everybody has one kind of boot or another that fits them so well you don't even notice they're not shoes.

Protection first - appearance later. Full boots.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Goom
ninjette.org guru

My old high top Vans it is.

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom View Post
My old high top Vans it is.
How's that a good idea?

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

Honestly, I think the majortiy of people on here are a little over the top with the gear stuff. I picture everyone on here wearing full racing leathers, gloves, boots, etc to work everyday.

i'm like you and i simply can't wear a full boot to work everyday and walk around in them. Also, like you, i'm even more concerned with impact protection and my foot being drug under my bike (roadrash) than my ankle bending. There are tons of factors that come into play. Obviously you get the most optimal protection with a full boot. No one needs to tell you that.

But the point of all of that was to say that i have a similar pair of S & S boots. They cover my ankle and foot fine as far as impact protection or sliding would go. But i realized quickly that my work boots are essentially the same thing and are actually more comfortable to wear. basically, if you like them, get 'em. they'll off about the same protection as an average pair of 3/4 work boots.
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyno2ac View Post
How's that a good idea?
I already own them, and as I stated, I'm not buying over-the-calf boots. The purpose of those boots is to immobilize the ankle. That's what helps prevent injury. I get it. I also want to be able to walk with them on and not have to carry shoes with me.

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you aren't going to be able to walk if you crash in flip flops.

and no, hightop vans are no better then flipflops.

you dont need over the calf dirt race boots. just get something that will actually help. they make plenty that go unnoticed

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Goom
ninjette.org guru

You realize that was an incredibly ignorant statement, correct? Flip flops and actual shoes are very different. MX boots and street boots, on the other hand, are basically the same thing.

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM   #11
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Opinions?
Quote:
Ah, I see. I probably shouldn't have posted that in the first place. It's pretty much a guarantee that everyone will call squid on something like that. I'm not gonna buy full length boots for everyday riding. No matter what you get, they'll be like MX boots and you'll walk around looking like you have saddle sores. The only real problem with these is that they allow your anke to flex. It increases the risk of ankle injury, but I'm mostly concerned with impact resistance, and these seem like they would do the job.
Well, you did ask for opinions

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Yes, I did ask for opinions. I never fell back on that...

If you're implying that they'll come off that easily, I assume you missed the laces and strap across the ankle. It's not really clear what point you are trying to make.

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I bet he's glad his shoe didn't go over the edge...lol

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyno2ac View Post
I bet he's glad his shoe didn't go over the edge...lol
The bike totally saved it. lol

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM   #15
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

My opinion is that you really aren't looking for opinions as much as you're looking for conformation on what you've already decided. Which is fine, other than you asked for opinions.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM   #16
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

It's amazing how people sacrifice the chance of severely damaging their ankles/lower legs in the event of a crash just because of a small inconvenience, which really isn't much of one, it just requires putting some shoes in a backpack.

xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM   #17
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

So you come on the internet, ask for suggestions, but then get annoyed because someone's trying to offer advice to get the best protection? Then don't get them if you don't want to, he was just saying that if you crash in regular shoes your risk of breaking your ankle is much higher, and a broken ankle means no walking on it for at least several weeks.
I ride almost every single day that I can and I still wear full gear including boots over the calf (smx-5's) and can walk around in them just fine, so saying you won't be able to walk around in boots without even having a pair is just an excuse for you to not get them. You know from the second you look at the boots what they have to offer or lack, so what more are you looking for, approval?

And to ninja assassin, I doubt many wear full race leathers every day but I'd say most wear most of the gear minus riding pants every day. I don't see how being protected is over the top? I've never heard anyone who has crashed wish they had less gear on, ever. Nor do many people really give a s**t what others say about them wearing all their gear, I know I don't.

This isn't towards anyone specific, but honestly, no one really cares if you wear gear or not, it's your choice and you're the one who has to live with whatever may happen. People on here, many who have experience crashing, try to steer people in the right direction to help reduce their risk of injury because no one wants to see a fellow rider out for several weeks/months because what fun is that? Then you have people like Jiggles all over the forum!
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #18
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautica View Post
People on here, many who have experience crashing, try to steer people in the right direction to help reduce their risk of injury because no one wants to see a fellow rider out for several weeks/months because what fun is that? Then you have people like Jiggles all over the forum!
@Jiggles Oh, perish the thought. Jigglemaster to the power of whatever? Not good.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:46 PM   #19
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:

Link to original page on YouTube.

That seems kind of dumb.. He has knee pucks on his leather pants and what looks to be a leather jacket, and yet he rides with plain old sneaks?

Personally I wear these:
TCX X Cube

I understand the problem behind wearing full boots all day every day, as I did it for several months. I got so irritated I stooped down to shoes that are merely made of canvas. I didn't like it to begin with, so I set out to find a reasonable alternative. Only problem I have with them so far is they are not quite as breathable as they claim. I've worn them at least 6 out of 7 days a week for almost a year now.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Here's something neat. I just went back and read through what I had said to make sure I wasn't coming off as a major jerk. As it turns out, people just made assumptions. All I said was I would stick to what I'm wearing now. If the ones I posted aren't any better, why bother, right? I asked for opinions and I got opinions. I expressed my own opinions, and I got a lashing.

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/...THE-BULLS-SHOE

I came across these today, and I'm thinking about giving them a try. I like the casual look with the protection and support for riding.

Opinions?
These are actually an excellent choice of shoes for riding. Even though they won't prevent your ankle from breaking they will prevent you from walking away from a crash, good find Then you can sit on your ass for 6 weeks, **** your pants and collect disability. My life has never been better.

Quote:
I already own them, and as I stated, I'm not buying over-the-calf boots. The purpose of those boots is to immobilize the ankle. That's what helps prevent injury. I get it. I also want to be able to walk with them on and not have to carry shoes with me.
Can't walk in full boots huh? Have you ever tried it? Why don't YOU stop making ignorant statements. I (used to) go to school in my full length TCX S-Race boots and walk around campus all day long. I can walk fine in them, don't look awkward and they are comfy as hell. I would also wear them to work (changed into dress shoes most days) but on casual days I would wear my boots for the whole 9 hour shift. Thats right, I would stand all day long selling to customers in full length motorcycle boots. People don't notice unless they look down and see the metal on the side of the boot. Stop making excuses and man up to the responsibility that comes with riding, because if you don't give a **** about yourself, no one will give a **** about you either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Assassin View Post
Honestly, I think the majortiy of people on here are a little over the top with the gear stuff.
You're going to have fun crashing

Quote:
i'm like you and i simply can't wear a full boot to work everyday and walk around in them. Also, like you, i'm even more concerned with impact protection and my foot being drug under my bike (roadrash) than my ankle bending. There are tons of factors that come into play. Obviously you get the most optimal protection with a full boot. No one needs to tell you that.

But the point of all of that was to say that i have a similar pair of S & S boots. They cover my ankle and foot fine as far as impact protection or sliding would go. But i realized quickly that my work boots are essentially the same thing and are actually more comfortable to wear. basically, if you like them, get 'em. they'll off about the same protection as an average pair of 3/4 work boots.
IMPACT PROTECTION! LOL! Well **** my ankles but gee I sure hope my footses are ok
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:09 PM   #22
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Yes, I did ask for opinions. I never fell back on that...

If you're implying that they'll come off that easily, I assume you missed the laces and strap across the ankle. It's not really clear what point you are trying to make.
My point: That those are basically tennis shoes and really do not protect feet as well as motorcycle boots.

I would suspect that they would come off or wear through in a wreck.

Wear what you want. YMMV.

Jeff

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM   #23
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Personally I wear these:
TCX X Cube

I understand the problem behind wearing full boots all day every day, as I did it for several months. I got so irritated I stooped down to shoes that are merely made of canvas. I didn't like it to begin with, so I set out to find a reasonable alternative. Only problem I have with them so far is they are not quite as breathable as they claim. I've worn them at least 6 out of 7 days a week for almost a year now.
Those seem like a good option. They're almost like a tougher version of a pair of driving shoes. They look really comfortable. They also look like they have a good amount of protection without being like a gigantic space boot.

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:19 PM   #24
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I think the concern people have is just that you're not taking advice.

My stance... The whole point of wearing a boot is to protect from the impact of hitting a hard surface or the bike landing on you, twisting your ankle, or from scraping as you slide along the ground. those boots accomplish two of those three goals, two goals more than a flip flop. What they dont accomplish is ankle demobilization. The issue is, you're just as likely to brake your ankle from compressing it as you are twisting it. Providing demobilization will greatly reduce your chance of braking your ankle, which is your ultimate goal in the first place.

As far as looks, most riders want to get off a bike looking like they just got out of a car. The problem that creates is many people don't wear enough gear. Think about the protection a car provides a driver. You want that same protection out of your gear regardless of weather.

If someone sees you walking around with a ton of gear, the average person will think you're a smart, safety conscious rider. Only the squids will think that you're an idiot for wearing more gear than they do, and they're not the ones to care about.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM   #25
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
My point: That those are basically tennis shoes and really do not protect feet as well as motorcycle boots.

I would suspect that they would come off or wear through in a wreck.

Wear what you want. YMMV.

Jeff
That could very well be true. It's hard to say without trying them. I would assume their ability to come off would be based mostly on how tight you tie them. I tie my shoes tight, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

I totally understand your point. These obviously aren't the best option. I just don't think that these aren't an option at all. From the description, they are much sturdier than a regular shoe.

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:34 PM   #26
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Can't walk in full boots huh? Have you ever tried it?
Only for about the last decade, but what do I know. I guess I have to hit a car before I'll ever be as wise as you, oh holy one.

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM   #27
Goom
ninjette.org guru

I feel like I own an apology to everyone here but Jiggles. I came off as being defensive, and I didn't mean to be that way. I do welcome all positive recommendations.

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM   #28
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Unfortunately there are handfuls of people here, including Jiggles, who speak from experience.

Jiggles would have horrible walking problems, likely for life, if not for his boots. He was on the bike for no more than 15 seconds before that crash happened.

I had a police officer look at the ankle high boots I was wearing after a small crash and say its a miracle I was standing next to him.

We're telling you to suck it up and find boots that are comfortable, and they do exist, because it's for your safety. Ankle highs are false security. Look for the pictures of the guys with their ankle bones sticking out just above their Streetburner shoes. Thank god they stayed on, huh?

Ride safe, gear up for the crash.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #29
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Honestly, I think the majortiy of people on here are a little over the top with the gear stuff. I picture everyone on here wearing full racing leathers, gloves, boots, etc to work everyday.

i'm like you and i simply can't wear a full boot to work everyday and walk around in them.
I just keep another set of shoes at work, and change when I get there...
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM   #30
Goom
ninjette.org guru

To sum up this whole discussion-

http://youtu.be/Uh7tgX_Uaqs

And Jiggles, I'll even apologize to you, despite your insulting, self-righteous attitude.

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:15 PM   #31
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I should note that these TCX shoeboots come about halfway up your shin. As a student, storage and time for an extra set of boots is not something I have. At work, I typically will wear the full boots as the time required to take them off/on is actually less than the TCX shoeboots. In fact, there were times where instead of bringing an extra pair of shoes with my full boots (Sidi STs) I would just carry them and walk around barefoot.

When I was looking at shoes, ankle high was an absolute nono for me. There were a very limited amount of shoes/boots that went up the shin, which is why I chose the TCX boots. Having been said, the key to the comfort in walking of these shoeboots is not how free the ankle is, but instead the fact that they are not gargantuan in size and the sole is flexible. The ankle, in reality, is very secure. Perhaps not on par with race boots, but about the same if not greater than a hard part ankle brace.

There is also something to be said that if you do not twist your ankle, you will twist your knee... Neither of which are things I'd enjoy much.

And trust me when I say this, I am an expert at accepting funny looks from people when I walk by. I walk around sounding like I am in high heels because of clipless road shoes (clack clack clack). I'll also slide on the floors with them (maintenance don't like that so much). I buy groceries with full boots and people tell me I look like the terminator (pants won't fit over my boots). I also walk around looking like a lightbulb 50% of the time with a fluorescent yellow jacket. Me looking normal is not what I care about. I am not sure if many of you have really tried walking what equates to a few miles a day in boots, but I have, and it's not comfortable. Maybe you have and your boots and feet just go better together than mine do. But unlike the song, these boots weren't made for walking.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:31 PM   #32
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (blue)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oad-Boots.aspx

I have these Tourmaster boots and they are great.
Low profile that fit under jeans and dress boots. (even unzipped)

They do not offer the same amount of protection that a full race boot would, but these are a happy medium. When you need to walk around, just unzip the side and move along.
diablos991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:33 PM   #33
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristoffer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

Someone mentioned the TCX X-Cube, I own the X-Square which are a good choice as well. I have no problem walking around and they're definitely more confortable than my Vans. I crashed with them too and they held up fine, well for 30 MPH.
Kristofferzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
look @Goom. you come here and ask a legitimate question, then get mad that the answer isnt "naw bro you're good with the **** shoes you wear that offer no protection"

sneakers are no better than flipflops in a motorcycle crash. useless "motorcycle shoes" that offer no ankle protection are also, completely useless in a crash. its fine if you dont feel you need protection for a crash. but what people are arguing with you on is what protection actually is

if you are going to make enough effort to question the quality of the motorcycle specific shoe you are thinking about buying, why not care enough to listen to the results of the question?

dont be offended when i say that you are acting like a foolish child in denial of the possible consequences of your own decisions. because it's true, and taking offense will do nothing to remedy the situation. do you like walking? then wear some real boots.

when you say things like "i knew people would call me a squid" why dont you listen to that thought for a half second? why did you know people would call you a squid for it? because you knew its a bad idea put yourself in the position where a small mistake like dropping the bike at a light at a stand still leads to you needing reconstructive ankle surgury and having troubles walking for the rest of your life. you already knew what needed to happen, you just wanted someone to say "naw bro its cool, i ride in flipflops" so you can feel better about the decision you know is wrong.

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:53 PM   #35
Kristofferzero
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristoffer

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
That seems kind of dumb.. He has knee pucks on his leather pants and what looks to be a leather jacket, and yet he rides with plain old sneaks?

Personally I wear these:
TCX X Cube

Man I completely overlooked these somehow when I was shopping for boots. I want some now.
Kristofferzero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:09 PM   #36
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
look @Goom. you come here and ask a legitimate question, then get mad that the answer isnt "naw bro you're good with the **** shoes you wear that offer no protection"

sneakers are no better than flipflops in a motorcycle crash. useless "motorcycle shoes" that offer no ankle protection are also, completely useless in a crash. its fine if you dont feel you need protection for a crash. but what people are arguing with you on is what protection actually is

if you are going to make enough effort to question the quality of the motorcycle specific shoe you are thinking about buying, why not care enough to listen to the results of the question?

dont be offended when i say that you are acting like a foolish child in denial of the possible consequences of your own decisions. because it's true, and taking offense will do nothing to remedy the situation. do you like walking? then wear some real boots.

when you say things like "i knew people would call me a squid" why dont you listen to that thought for a half second? why did you know people would call you a squid for it? because you knew its a bad idea put yourself in the position where a small mistake like dropping the bike at a light at a stand still leads to you needing reconstructive ankle surgury and having troubles walking for the rest of your life. you already knew what needed to happen, you just wanted someone to say "naw bro its cool, i ride in flipflops" so you can feel better about the decision you know is wrong.
First of all, I already apologized. Secondly, you want me to listen to you after you just COMPLETELY DISREGARDED EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID. Forgive me for only riding in ONLY a helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, and high top shoes. Shame on you for assuming you know me.

The reason I figured people would call squid is because that's what people like to do when they don't have any real input but want to be heard.

I believe I also made it clear that I understood the possible consequences of my actions.

So...get off your soapbox, son.

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:16 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
nobody wants an apology. people disregard what you say when you are blatantly wrong. i am not assuming i know you, all i know is that you ride in hightops. so let me take a different direction here;

stop being an idiot. people are trying to help you but you are acting like a child. learn from the painful and stupid mistakes we have made and keep yourself from making the same stupid mistakes we did. we arent trying to make you feel bad. we arent trying to make ourselves feel better. its simple; someone is doing something that will lead to a terrible injury, we are trying to prevent that injury.

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:19 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...s-Mens/Class1/

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...s-Mens/Class1/

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:29 PM   #39
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
nobody wants an apology. people disregard what you say when you are blatantly wrong. i am not assuming i know you, all i know is that you ride in hightops. so let me take a different direction here;

stop being an idiot. people are trying to help you but you are acting like a child. learn from the painful and stupid mistakes we have made and keep yourself from making the same stupid mistakes we did. we arent trying to make you feel bad. we arent trying to make ourselves feel better. its simple; someone is doing something that will lead to a terrible injury, we are trying to prevent that injury.
Just stop being a dick about it. That's the one simple request I'm making. I actually took the constructive information that was given to me. It made sense. All you said was buy full boots.

Calling a person childish and an idiot is a sure-fire way to get them to not listen to you. Apparently, no one ever taught you that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM   #40
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
its your feet.