ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #1
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Unresponsive Throttle

Back story: I had a gas tank that had a huge dent/bend/crease in it that I had been using for the past 2 or 3 months. I discovered that a tank in such a condition could have rust on the inside that would cause problems with the carbs, such as clogging.

I now have a new tank that's in pristine condition but I'm not happy with the way my throttle is responding. If i pull in the clutch and try to give it a lot of gas it doesn't really do anything, like its coughing or something. Same thing happens when I'm moving or not moving. If i try and get a fast start sometimes it will pick up and go other times it will kind of lag a little then kick in.

I also have a full Area P exhaust system that I installed myself with a stage 2 Dynojet kit. I believe i have the #96 jets in (not 100% positive) with the idle screws turned out 2.5 turns and a washer under each needle. Kerry (AreaP owner) walked me through the whole process personally so i cant imagine my tune up was the problem being as it hasn't always been this way.

does this sound like a problem cleaning the carbs could fix? Or is it something more?
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Check this thread first:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124374
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Have you checked to see if your filter is dirty or snorkel is blocked?
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_Guide
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #4
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Have you checked to see if your filter is dirty or snorkel is blocked?
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_Guide
Cleaned my filter out not to long ago and I removed the snorkel. Bike has 9k miles btw

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #5
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
where exactly is http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...ash_filter.jpg
that thing

Old February 28th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post

Here

DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #7
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Here

thank you Looks like i got a project for the weekend

Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:17 AM   #8
iZapp
former ninja 250'er

Name: Geo

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia 1000R, CRF450, CBR600RR tracktoy, Ninja 250 -- GONE!!!!!

if your fuel filter is clogged, it would imply that the bowls WOULD be full of fuel, at least until the demand for fuel by the engine exceeded the flow of fuel through the filter. At that point the fuel level in the float bowls would begin to drop and eventually the motor would begin to bog.

so, if the engine starts hard, or will only run with choke, or will not accept any throttle, then i would suspect the tiny primary jets (aka pilot jet) inside the bowl. this is very likely.

if it revs up, but falls on its face then the main jet is the issue. not likely.

if it revs up, runs ok, but seems to lack some power, then air delivery is the issue like filter.

hope that helps.
iZapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #9
DamonDanner
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Beau

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

something to check...mine did the same thing so I went to check the little fuel filter...my petcock was on the "reserve setting" took off the fuel line and almost NO GAS FLOW...put it to the down position and gas really flowed...don't know if I got a piece trash in that tube or what, bout to go test it now... mid range was really boggy, but other than that is seemed OK. test ride! Yes...reserve setting wasn't letting enough gas get through...now how to fix that? I blew through the hose into the tank...still plugged.
DamonDanner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonDanner View Post
something to check...mine did the same thing so I went to check the little fuel filter...my petcock was on the "reserve setting" took off the fuel line and almost NO GAS FLOW...put it to the down position and gas really flowed...don't know if I got a piece trash in that tube or what, bout to go test it now... mid range was really boggy, but other than that is seemed OK. test ride! Yes...reserve setting wasn't letting enough gas get through...now how to fix that? I blew through the hose into the tank...still plugged.
FYI,

NewGen doesn't have a reserve, it has, ON, PRI, OFF. no reserve. Also remember that it's a vacuum peacock, so if the engine isn't running, and the petcock is set to ON , no fuel should flow, that's why there is a PRI /prime, thus allows fuel to flow without vacuum.

PreGen doesn't have a prime, just ON, RES, OFF and vacuum is needed all the time.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #11
DamonDanner
ninjette.org newbie

Prime

hmmmmm... well in the "on" position it ran normally, will switch back to "prime" and see if it acts up again... thank you for the tech info on that! Perhaps I have my positions on the petcock confused? Arrow down is on correct? "3 oclock" would be prime?

Old June 28th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
hmmmmm... well in the "on" position it ran normally, will switch back to "prime" and see if it acts up again... thank you for the tech info on that! Perhaps I have my positions on the petcock confused? Arrow down is on correct? "3 oclock" would be prime?
Not sure on the NewGen, but with the engine off, you should have no fuel flow when set to ON, only PRIME Will allow fuel to flow.

If fuel is flowing with the petcock in ON, then it's time to rebuild the petcock.

ZX-2R BLOG

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #13
DamonDanner
ninjette.org newbie

ok...had positions wrong...it's operating normally!

Old June 28th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
ok...had positions wrong...it's operating normally!
good deal

ZX-2R BLOG