ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #1
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

HJC IS-16 Helmet Review

This is a followup to the discussion here

Well I just got the helmet last night. It was on sale for $137 from New Enough. I am pretty impressed with the quality and attention to detail of such an inexpensive helmet.

First things first, here are some pictures.

The feature of the helmet that most attracted me is the inner visor (sunshield).

It has 3 stages that it can be lowered to and are shown below. (Will get better pictures)

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 1 and 2 are easy to get to by simply pushing the lever on top of the helmet (seen in the 3rd picture)forward. To get to Stage 3 you need to push in the release button (just forward of the lever) and push the lever forward one more notch. The visor is spring loaded and with the press of the release button quickly snaps out of the way.

One other nice feature is the vent below the visor has 2 settings so you can have it fully open or partially open if you don't want as much air. Also the vents on top seem to have a more positive action than on other HJC helmets I've seen. The sliders are kind of small, so that may be a problem when wearing gloves. Also the vents in the chin bar and at the rear all have mesh over them which is a nice touch.

Putting on the helmet is a little bit different as the piece of fabric to deflect the wind at your chin is not something I was used to dealing with. Also the helmet seems to be smaller at the bottom then other helmets which makes it a little tighter going over the head. Once it is on it is very comfortable. The helmet is light (3lbs 6oz) and feels great on your head. I will definitely be able to wear this all day. The liner is soft, and supposed to be a new material that is better at wicking away moisture.

I only got in a brief ride on the way to work this morning and it was 30 degrees. The first thing I noticed is the helmet is much much quieter than my old helmet. Also it kept my face very warm, but the downside was with the breath deflecter the visor didn't fog up, but because I have a cold (I know good time to be riding in sub-freezing temperatures) and am breathing out of my mouth my glasses did. It was barely getting light so I didn't get to used the inner visor really, but did flick it down just to try it and while the third stage is a little cumbersome it was fairly easy to get to that level.

I will report back more when I get some miles on it (hopefully this weekend), but for now I am extrememly satisfied wiht my purchase. If there is anything in particular you want me to check out let me know (short of impact resistance )
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #2
kkim

Ryan,

nice helmet. thanks fo the review.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #3
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Nice review, I am looking at getting something like this. Let us know how it goes on longer rides

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #4
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Nice review Ryan. Now if HJC would only make it in HiVis yellow

Old March 16th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #5
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-Byte View Post
Nice review, I am looking at getting something like this. Let us know how it goes on longer rides
Got about 100 miles in on Saturday. Very comfortable. I had some time to mess with the vents. They are actually very easy to operate. With all the vents open it is only about as loud as my old CL-15 with the vents closed. Also you feel an actual breeze through the helmet which the CL-15 could never accomplish. I also messed around when I got home just to see how hard it was to remove the liner. The entire liner is removable and comes out very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Nice review Ryan. Now if HJC would only make it in HiVis yellow
I know. That was my only reservation. I went with white because I thought it would be the next most visible.

So far the helmet is treating me very well. In two weeks I will most likely be making a 400 mile trip. That should really tell me how comfortable it is.

Old March 16th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #6
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Did you find that this helmet is larger (overall size, not fitment) than other brands, say Shoei or Arai? I had an HJC CL-SP and it was HUGE! I felt like a bobblehead and it was a lot heavier than my Arai.

Old March 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #7
camaroz1985

Well I have never had a Shoei or Arai so I can not compare. I usually actually wear a Small (at least in my car racing helmets), but I had to get a medium in this.

Also I doubt you would feel like a bobblehead in this. It is pretty light. 3 lb 6 oz if I recall correctly.

Old April 13th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #8
camaroz1985

I used this for nearly 500 miles of riding this weekend (2 days), and after 5 hours each day, I felt as if I could double it. The helmet is very comfortable and the visor was extremely helpful when riding west in the afternoon. It was great not having to stop and change visors when it got dark. I just reached up and pressed the button and was good to go.

In case you can't tell I'm extremely happy with this purchase

Old April 13th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #9
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I also have an HJC helmet...although not the same model. It's the only helmet I've ever owned so I guess my opinion wont count for much haha...but I also love it. Great review!
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote