ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:43 PM   #81
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

No report filed , the policeman said he didn't need to file one since it was a single vehicle no-fault accident.

I was in too much pain to worry about anything else at the time. Once I was in the ambulance, I never saw him again, and don't remember his name either.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM   #82
kkim

that's actually a good thing as there is no official report of the cause or blame of the accident.

when the insurance company tries to lay 100% blame on you, tell them the road conditions were hazardous and the gravel on the road was unavoidable based on the road and traffic conditions and see what they say.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM   #83
Strider
Back on the Black!

Will do Thanks for the advice Kelly

I'll keep posting as info comes up.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM   #84
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Tell them there was a herd of alligators in the damn road. You had to put it down or PETA would be up your ass.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:33 AM   #85
Strider
Back on the Black!

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #86
Strider
Back on the Black!

Sorry for the lack up update ...
I had to go back to work and by the time I get home I'm in too much pain to do anything but go to bed...

NEWS :

Not much new on the healing front ... going slow...

My insurance company is paying to fix my bike! And my rate is only going up $50 a year! WOW. $2200 in damages for $50 a year for 2 years? YES, I'll do that.

I talked calmly with my agent, who is a nice guy, and explained the whole incident, he was still saying he had to fault me with the accident since I was in control of the bike, but since there was no report filed, that there wouldn't be but 1 point added to my insurance for 2 years. Company policy he said. I read my coverage. Yes, it was there... but I can handle that, it's not too bad.

CC , I tried the alligator bit, No Dice. My agent was highly amused though

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #87
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Get better Alan, sorry to hear about all the down time. That blows.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #88
kkim

great news on the bike/insurance!

heal up quickly so you can go riding again, but none of this...

Old July 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #89
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

glad to hear things are working out well sucks that the insurance isn't playing too nice, but better than nothing at all or a huge increase!

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #90
Strider
Back on the Black!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for no more crashes , thanks for the well wishes everyone

I got the insurance check today and went down to the shop to pay up, and there were 2 brand new 2009 SE's sitting in the showroom looking so lonely, and a gorgeous Red 2009 as well ....

I'm holding out for the 2010 model, but it was hard to walk away ....

Good news : My agent called me during lunch at work, and there was a mis-type in my adjusters estimate .... so NO insurance increase, No Points, No nothing except a big fat check to fix my bike (I still have to pay the $500 deductible though)! But I was thrilled when he told me that the error was in my favor

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #91
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
I'm holding out for the 2010 model, but it was hard to walk away (sic "from the 2009's")....
Can I ask what factors in to this decision? Is it an expectation or even a hope that the 2010 model will be different in any way from the 2009 model, or is it just getting more miles on your current bike before you want to plunk down the cash on a new one?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #92
kkim

Quote:
Good news : My agent called me during lunch at work, and there was a mis-type in my adjusters estimate .... so NO insurance increase, No Points, No nothing except a big fat check to fix my bike (I still have to pay the $500 deductible though)! But I was thrilled when he told me that the error was in my favor

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #93
noche_caliente

yahoo!

Old July 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #94
Strider
Back on the Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Can I ask what factors in to this decision? Is it an expectation or even a hope that the 2010 model will be different in any way from the 2009 model, or is it just getting more miles on your current bike before you want to plunk down the cash on a new one?
Actually , it's numerical . My birthday is October 20th (10/20) so I want a 2010 See? (I know...weird reasoning...)
I plan to keep my 2006 for my wife

Old July 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #95
Custom Seat Creations
Sportbike Seat Covers

Name: Becky

Motorcycle(s): 10' Special Edition Tribal 250 Red/Black ; 08' Ninja 250 (RIP by a cager); 05' Honda CBR 600

Alan,

Glad to hear you're alright and things are working in your favor. Best wishes for a quick recovery. Keep that dream of the 2010!

Regards,
Becky

Old July 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #96
noche_caliente

10/20 is my uncle's birthday as well - now that you pointed out the number thing, I'll have to make a big deal about it next year!

Old July 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #97
Strider
Back on the Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
10/20 is my uncle's birthday as well - now that you pointed out the number thing, I'll have to make a big deal about it next year!
Here's to sharing a birthday Tell him he needs a 2010 too!

SERIOUSLY thinking of going Green next year too ... thanks to Kelly making me want one

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #98
kkim

Quote:
SERIOUSLY thinking of going Green next year too ... thanks to Kelly making me want one
just make sure you can handle a green one... they are really, really fast.

Old July 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #99
Strider
Back on the Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
just make sure you can handle a green one... they are really, really fast.
I should be re-trained and ready by 2010 Kelly

Sorry I haven't been on lately, it's a mad house here! I never knew there was SO much happening around my home until I couldn't use one arm!
I have plenty of honey-do's

Injury Update :
Went to the doc again today, shoulder is healing well but I still have to wear the sling .... ARGH! Beginning physical therapy later this week as well. Doc still says I will loose 20% of my mobility .... I say BS, I'll get it back, gonna train hard (as I can without hurting myself!) to make it happen.

Bike Update :
All quiet from the Kawasaki Doc , waiting for parts to arrive, and tech to get to work I told them to take it easy and not rush since I'm down til Aug. 8th anyways ...

Take care everyone

Old July 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #100
noche_caliente

I have every confidence that you'll prove the doc wrong!

Old July 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #101
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Geez...I just heard that one of the riders in today's Tour de France stage had a DOUBLE collar bone break. I guess you can consider yourself somewhat lucky?
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #102
kkim

tell they wife you can't attend to the honey-do list because of your injury... doctor's orders.

good luck w/ the rehab...

Old July 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #103
Strider
Back on the Black!

Quote:
I have every confidence that you'll prove the doc wrong!
Gonna try my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Geez...I just heard that one of the riders in today's Tour de France stage had a DOUBLE collar bone break. I guess you can consider yourself somewhat lucky?
Compared to him, 'lucky' would be a mild word for me! OUCH 2x!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
tell they wife you can't attend to the honey-do list because of your injury... doctor's orders.

good luck w/ the rehab...
Thanks Kelly

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #104
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

aloha alan,
thanx for keeping us up-to-date on yer progress.
good news about the insurance!
and you showed some real maturity leaving them newer bikes alone like that..specially w/money in hand!

take care

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?

Last futzed with by komohana; July 17th, 2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM   #105
Strider
Back on the Black!

THERAPY Update

Had my first Therapy and evaluation today ...

According to my wonderful (and extremely cute!) Therapist, I should have about 165 degrees of mobility at 100% ... I have 100-110 degrees before the pain sets in. She says that with it being so soon after the break, I am doing very well! She said I won't see 100% return, but with luck I can get 80-90%. I laughed (politely) and told her I would get 100% back, just wait and see. She was already amazed that, given the state of my X-Rays, that I can touch the back of my neck with my left hand. Just for fun, I had tied the ties on the back of the silly little hospital gown that they make you wear. I was quite proud of myself. She couldn't believe I had done it alone (my darling wife was with me), so I untied them and tied them back again. She said that was 'quite a feat for someone who has those type of injuries'. Again, I was very pleased with myself (even if it was in a childish I did it! way).

Anyways, all is fairing well. I have therapy 2x a week for the next 3 weeks and then they say I should be able to ride again! August can't get here fast enough
I'm not going to over-do it , but I am going to push myself. Besides, my son wants to take Tae Kwon Do, and I want to join him since he's finally showing interest in something!

Old July 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM   #106
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Keep up the positive attitude Alan, that'll be one of the biggest things to get you through. Glad to hear therapy is going so well!
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM   #107
noche_caliente

you're doing great! I hate when they make those kinds of predictions - it can really mess with you, so I'm glad you're already showing her up!

Old August 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM   #108
Strider
Back on the Black!

Gotta say it ...

OK .... I finally have to talk about this. This may not be the place for it, but I'm gonna do it ... I'm gonna say what I have to say.

< begin vent >

After my crash in June, I've been hurting pretty bad. I've messed a lot of work and I know I'm not the easiest guy to be around when I'm in pain, cause I'm a pain-in-the-*ss. I'm the first to admit it.
BUT
I've had more well wishes, and good luck PMs and emails from members on this forum than I've had friends and relatives who live 10 minutes away from me come to visit! Seriously. I've had 2 visitors (and one was the new guy next door!) , and 1 phone call. Not even my own brother has called to check on me. Not ONCE. The only people who have done anything to help me out are the people I live with (my wife, kids, mom and adopted bro), and the great guy and his son who saw me go down in the first place. (Your still me hero Joseph!)

I guess I must be a bigger jerk than I thought ...

OK, I realize that sounds like I'm begging for help and attention. That is not my intention. I'm not begging for anything.
Except a little compassion maybe.

Maybe it's the fact that the members of this forum CARE about the other members. I've seen it in the posts to me and I've seen it in the care shown to Becky (CustomSeatCreations) in the post about her accident. (Get well soon Becky!)
I'm not asking for anyone to post any more Get Well's for me or anything, I'm getting better and others need the care right now. Let's keep Becky and the new people who have had accidents in our thoughts and prayers.

SO what it really comes down to is this :

Ladies and gentlemen, I just wanted to say THANK YOU one and all ... for caring and sharing. It means the world to me right now.
It's nice to have family.

< end venting >

Peace,
Alan

and I'm sorry it this strained anyone's eyes ... I just needed to say it.

Old August 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #109
noche_caliente

*hugs* You know we're here for you. But give the locals a break - it's hard to remember how much things can hurt and how long recovery takes.... and besides, it's *just* a broken arm.... we realize it's more than that because we have a great sneak-peek into your recovery, but unless you're posting the same updates on a blog somewhere, they might not realize that it's FAR more than just a broken arm.... that it's limiting your ability to get out and go anywhere on your own and that you (according to the docs that you're going to prove wrong) may have some loss of functionality. When I went down last August, aside from my friends over on KF that I would admit the accident to, not a single soul came by to see me or check on me... it really sucked... but then again, I've had so many knee injuries, it's not that unusual I guess... back in '99 there was only one person aside from the group members that had to work with me that visited when I shattered my kneecap and had reconstructive surgery...

I totally understand where you're coming from - I don't want it to seem like I don't agree with your post 100%, just trying to give you a little perspective from where they may be seeing things. I know you said you don't want more get well wishes, but you're getting them anyway - I've been thinking about you this afternoon when we were out riding! *hugs*

Old August 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM   #110
kkim

Alan,

I may be speaking out my ass, but may it be that because you got hurt in a motorcycle accident, people have sort of a "he had it coming to him... I told him it was dangerous to ride a motorcycle" type attitude? Now that you're hurt, they either feel it's not needed to reinforce their attitude and even if they regret thinking so, they might feel guilty now for feeling that way towards you riding.

You're among fellow riders on the board... every one of us can relate to crashing and the healing that ensues. You get a lot of sympathetic ears here. Besides, typing something on a keyboard is a lot faster and easier than actually climbing in my car and going over to your house.

You're just getting antsy with the long recoup and having too much idle time to think about your situation as you slowly heal, physically... which is a good thing, in a way as you're showing that mentally, you're ready to get back out there and ride again.

GL, man.... just don't drive your loved ones, immediately around you, nuts!

Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:54 AM   #111
Strider
Back on the Black!

Thanks guys

*hug* Kim, Thanks

I've sent email updates (like my posts here) to all my friends and relatives to keep them updated on my condition, but only 1 friend ever replies to those. It's possible, like you said Kelly, that they think I 'had it coming' for riding a motorcycle. I am the only one in my family that rides (for right now), and only 1 of my close friends rides, and he's bike-less right now. But hey, I was feeling odd last night and I had to vent somewhere, so why not here
thanks for listening, and for the advice! I'll try to chill.
But now that the Doc says I can drive (FINALLY), maybe I'll pay a few visits to people myself

Oh yeah, before I forget ...

BIKE UPDATE :
All is going well, if slow, with the repairs. BUT ... the parts company sent red cowling instead of the black that the Kawasaki Doc ordered, so now it's send it back and wait for the black to come in... they are also waiting on a mirror replacement and a bracket (of some kind). I told the Doc to take his time with the repairs, so it's now worries for me, can't ride for another 2 or more weeks anyways... but red???? I mean my bike is black as sin... I saw the parts order form, how do you get RED out of B-L-A-C-K ???

Oh well ... in 2010 it will be a Green for me anyways

Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:22 AM   #112
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

sorry about the hold up on your parts. I hope everything gets done about the same time as you are healed.

Best Wishes,

Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #113
Strider
Back on the Black!

Me too Travis, I can't wait to get back on the road!
I'm beginning to get stir-crazy ...

Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:17 PM   #114
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Hope the healing is going well, i just had to sit here and read every post after i read the first one. Hope you get back on the bike soon and keep your head up

Old August 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #115
Strider
Back on the Black!

aj, Thanks for reading How are you feeling after your accident?

Therapy is helping quite a bit. According to my lovely Therapist, 165 degrees is ideal.
I'm at 140 degrees movement now, up from the 90 degrees I had 2 weeks ago...
and I can actually left my arm above my head now!
She laughed with me when she said :
"You can't do that yet." and I did it to show her.
Therapist was very happy with my progress, but I still think it's slow.
NOT going to rush though, that would cause big problems.
Going back to the Orthopedic Doc tomorrow for more X Rays and a check up.
Will update again when I get any news on my bike ... I really miss having my Stealth Dragon!

Old August 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #116
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Im still limping around everywhere, but im fine, back on the bike and all is good (except for the fairings but i'll get over it)
I'm glad your healing is turning out much better than your therapist expects. It's those positive thoughts you have that are helping you heal. A lot of the healing process is mental, so keep it up.
come back with good news from the the check up tomorrow and hopefully youll hear about Stealth Dragon tomorrow. Keep fighting buddy.

Old August 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #117
noche_caliente

Alan - where's our update?

Old August 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #118
conchwanab
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

wow that is way too freaky man!!My prayers are with you and the family of your doctor.I hope you have a full recovery and your bike as well.Stay off the drugs and stick to Sammy Hagars Cabo Wabo tequilla!!Vitamin T always works wonders.
conchwanab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #119
Strider
Back on the Black!

Quote:
Alan - where's our update?
UPDATE : Got back from the Bone Doc and he says .... 90% healed!
I can ride again starting next week !!!!!!!!!!!!
Now all I need is for the Kawi Doc to get my bike done
HOPEFULLY that will be ASAP !!! I'm going to call them every day until my baby is repaired
They promised to be done by next Friday, but it maybe sooner (keeping fingers crossed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchwanab View Post
wow that is way too freaky man!!My prayers are with you and the family of your doctor. I hope you have a full recovery and your bike as well.Stay off the drugs and stick to Sammy Hagars Cabo Wabo tequilla!!Vitamin T always works wonders.
Thanks Gotta get me some T then Sammy's a hero of mine

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #120
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Quote:
UPDATE : Got back from the Bone Doc and he says .... 90% healed!
I can ride again starting next week !!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Strider, it's been almost 2 months. For a rider without his mount it must have felt like 2 years. Glad you're returning to the saddle soon. Get that mech of yours to have you bike fixed already!
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote