ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #1
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

What about 32XXX?

Do you guys think 32XXX km on a 2005 gxxr 600 is too much?
How long do bikes last anyway?

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Yeah, thats pretty damn high to be buying a used bike at. How much is he asking? Whats your budget? They can last a while is really well maintained. The reality of it is we dont really know how long they can last, they usually get totaled before they break
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

32K/20K miles isnt alot on a bike, provided its been maintained properly. However, the one you posted in the link screams squid f**ked rat trap. 'Previous owner laid it down' means its been binned while squidding about. Chances are its not been taken care of, abused, and runs like crap. But hey, I could be wrong.

Looks like you got $4K or so to spend. My advice would be, be patient and dont rush into buying something immediately and you will find a good deal on a clean bike.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

That's about 5000 km's and change a year. That's pretty average if you ask me. At least you know it was ridden fairly regularly.

That said, that bike should have received fairly regular maintenance. If the owner did that maintenance himself, you'd be able to tell as they'd be fairly knowledgeable about the bike. If they had a shop do it, there will be paperwork. Get this paperwork and review it so you know what you're getting into.

Edit: Also...everyone keep in mind that this is in kilometres. 32,000 kms is just under 20,000 miles.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #5
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Definately, you can find a decent, clean bike for $4,000 easy. I'd stay away from that one.
2011Ninja250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
That's about 5000 km's and change a year. That's pretty average if you ask me. At least you know it was ridden fairly regularly.

That said, that bike should have received fairly regular maintenance. If the owner did that maintenance himself, you'd be able to tell as they'd be fairly knowledgeable about the bike. If they had a shop do it, there will be paperwork. Get this paperwork and review it so you know what you're getting into.

Edit: Also...everyone keep in mind that this is in kilometres. 32,000 kms is just under 20,000 miles.
Yeah, I missed the km the first time thru. My answer still stands though, 20,000 miles is a lot. I just bought a gsxr thats never been down, never had a problem, basically a perfect bike with 3100 miles for 6k even. You should be able to find one with 3000 miles that's been dropped for 4, or one with 12k miles thats immaculate for 4, at least in my market.
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #7
blink
Always.

Yeah, but here in Canada everything is expensive. Just go on

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-cars-vehi...-W0QQCatIdZ304

and take a look at some bikes. Nothing under 5000

Old July 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Flashmonkey

Yea we get reamed pretty good up here. Maybe try the fall season...you might have better luck with pricing. The new gixxers are out and a lot of older models may be up for sale soon.

You guys can make fun of squids all you want, but at least they're consistent.

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #9
blink
Always.

Well said James! Oh your from Toronto, just noticed. So you know high prices. Not coming to Calgary anytime are you? Could bring me a bike ahaha

Old July 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #10
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

If it was properly maintained that's just a drop in the bucket. Inline 4's can last forever if you take care of them and don't abuse it (being a stoplight drag racer etc.). Maintenance and driving habits are really the only things you should be concerned about. When I sold it, my bandit had 68k+ miles on it (or 110,000 kilometers).

If you're worried about it keep saving and wait for a lower mile bike.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #11
blink
Always.

Oh and here in Alberta a rebuilt status doesn't affect insurance....you only need a salvage inspection which is $220 so I would say seller pays/does it before I buy?

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have a 93 fzr600 iirc i bought it at around 33k miles... i no longer have an odometer but i've put about 4-5k miles on it so far... (i drive too much!!!) still kickin strong. i change the oil every 1500-2000 miles (like i said... hard to keep track of miles without an odo... more of an estimation based on how many tanks of gas i see on my bank statement between trips to the moto store)

i don't know how gsxrs wear but my fzr supposedly burns through exhaust valves about every 15 to 20k miles. it could use a new valve cover gasket but its nothing bad. from what i've seen on my fzr forums i expect it to last at least another 20k miles... some of the older, better taken care of fzr's last upwards of 80-100k miles but those seem like babied and well taken care of bikes.

as with anything, ymmv and usage always determines longevity. if some squid was beating the hell out of it with horrible technique... chances are it wont last long

Old July 18th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #13
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Well said James! Oh your from Toronto, just noticed. So you know high prices. Not coming to Calgary anytime are you? Could bring me a bike ahaha
HAH are you kidding me...the bike prices around here are frigin' looney!

Anyway, as a pseudo-response to what alex.s posted up there, gixxer engines are absolutely bulletproof.

Suzuki's been building crotch rocket gixxers since the 80's...they definitely know what they're doing. The engine in my water buffalo is rock solid, even after 19 years of God only knows what kind of treatment.

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #14
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

the gsxr line has been developed for 25 years-suzuki has pretty much got it right-and lots of cheap parts if you need them-when the squid word is being thrown around have you guys read the ninja 250 crash poll in this forum-about 50%- i don't know,but that is probably a worlds record for a model line
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote