ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Crriiissss
ninjette.org member

Name: Cristian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja Thunder Blue(sold), 2004 Suzuki GS500f(sold), 2006 Ninja 250, 2013 Ninja 300 SE

My friend dropped my bike! and doesn't know why..

Well I'm here at work and my gf tells me that she's going to practice riding on my bike with her brother (who also has a 250). So I'm like ok, enjoy, and just ride carefully. My gf didn't want to risk dropping my bike at all so she tells her brother to ride mine and she'll ride his. An hour after she said she was going to go practice, she called me and said her brother dropped my bike! I couldn't really talk much since I was busy at work so I only got little info on what happened. According to her brother, the bike just locked up and I'm guessing he fell off forward and the bike fell on the floor. I also heard him saying over the phone that there must be something wrong with my gear box? He said he didn't brake or do anything out of the ordinary so he doesn't really know what caused the bike to just lock. He's also a new rider along with me and my gf but hes had his bike since May and ride it almost every single day. I bought the bike used in August and put about 1000 miles on it and have never had a problem with it since than and we changed the oil less than 50 miles ago. Any ideas on what might have happened?

Btw my friend is fine, my gf said he just rolled a little but got up right away. I'm not upset or anything just glad he's ok, and hopefully my bike isn't as scratched up when i get home
Crriiissss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Sucks to hear but I'm 99% sure it was rider error.

I'm just saying..
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #3
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Never heard anything like this happen before. The only thing I can think of is possible false neutral and it popped down to 1st unexpectedly and surprised him. This would be caused by a weak shift to 2nd that usually is ok until throttle is released and then it'll pop down a gear.

For new riders, I think its mostly things that startle them over things that are actually wrong with the bike.

BUT to be honest. Not to be mean or anything but I call BS. It is much easier to blame something wrong with the bike than take responsibility for a poor decision while riding. We'll need more info on the damages and a better explanation from your GF's brother to make a more accurate prediction on what happened.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I'm with Nemesis and Brian; I think he probably just blamed the bike to save his ego and maybe some of his money. If he flat out admitted to dropping your bike through his own negligence, then he'd have to flat-out pay you for the damage... things aren't so straight forward if "it was the bikes fault" Hope your bike turns out to be ok. You'll be in a difficult situation if it isn't.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"when i push hard on the rear brake it locked up the tire and kicked me off the bike. your bike has issues bro im not paying for the repairs. you should pay me for my hospital bill"

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #6
setasai

Actually, thinking more about this situation. If I were you I would have insisted that my GF be the rider as opposed to her brother. At least this way she'll OWE you... and that could always be fun... can anyone say brinner? yummmmm

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #7
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Actually, thinking more about this situation. If I were you I would have insisted that my GF be the rider as opposed to her brother. At least this way she'll OWE you... and that could always be fun... can anyone say brinner? yummmmm
"brinner"! Had to look that up You Americans!

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #8
jd254
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Just dropped my friend's Ninja 250r and I don't know why.

I've been riding since before I got my license in August 2011 and I never dropped my bike once.

Today, I got on my friend's bike, and dropped it.

earlier in the ride, I went over some bumps... lots of bumps, and heard A LOT of rattling in... the gear box? sounded like it came from the gear shifter but I wasn't exactly sure where and I'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem.

so... later, I'm going really slow and am making a right turn now. I'm turning erected since I was going so slow. There was very little leaning since it wasnt needed. All of a sudden I'm flying off the bike. I go for a nice rolling landing. The landing was as good as it can ever get. Bike is now on the road with very little scratches. I go there to pick it up and then it dies as soon as it's straight up again.

why is the bike still on when it was on the floor? It was in 1st gear and no one was pressing the clutch... yet it was still running normally.

what happened? I didn't press the brakes, I didn't let go off the clutch until I found myself flying off the bike. I didn't get a chance to accelerate through the turn yet. I felt as if I was running, and someone stuck their foot out and tripped me.

The bike slid two feet across the pavement on it's side.
jd254 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #9
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
I'm guessing that this thread was made by your friend

As for what happened. Only explanation I can think of is: 1st gear is sometimes jerky. If you let off the throttle a bit in first gear while turning, then it's possible the jerkiness caused the front wheel to loose traction. The front wheel may then have turned fully in one direction, then suddenly regained traction throwing you off.

If that did happen, it wasn't the bikes fault. That would be rider error for having poor throttle control and/or being in the wrong gear for the turn.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #10
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
What? You dont have brinner?

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #11
setasai

Does the bike run normal after the accident? Maybe something got caught in the front tire.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #12
jd254
ninjette.org member

ha.. I just started a thread before I saw this one.

instead of writing everything again. Here's my story.

I was riding and hit a lot of bumps, and I heard a lot of noises (rattling) by the gear shifter. I didn't want to do anything so I just rode straight. After all the bumps I just went to a stop light and shifted to nuetral and back to first. Everything appears to be normal.

10 mins later, I'm making a right turn on first or 2nd gear (not sure), a very slow right turn. I'm not leaning since this turn is too slow. Half way through the turn, I fly forward as if the wheel locked up. I get up walk to the bike and it's still on.

How is that even possible? No one is grabbing the clutch? bike dies as soon as it's fully erected.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #13
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd254 View Post
ha.. I just started a thread before I saw this one.

instead of writing everything again. Here's my story.

I was riding and hit a lot of bumps, and I heard a lot of noises (rattling) by the gear shifter. I didn't want to do anything so I just rode straight. After all the bumps I just went to a stop light and shifted to nuetral and back to first. Everything appears to be normal.

10 mins later, I'm making a right turn on first or 2nd gear (not sure), a very slow right turn. I'm not leaning since this turn is too slow. Half way through the turn, I fly forward as if the wheel locked up. I get up walk to the bike and it's still on.

How is that even possible? No one is grabbing the clutch? bike dies as soon as it's fully erected.
If you want to avoid starting two conversations in two different threads about the exact same event, then you should probably delete the above post and let people reply in the new thread you made.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #14
setasai

@Alex merge thread http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90812

When you stand the bike back up it probably flooded the engine with gas and died.

Back OT, was the rattling a loose chain? We need more details on what the bike looks like now. Is it running normal now?

From the other thread... why was clutch pulled in on a turn? You said it ran fine and was able to ride home normally after the accident. Was there any rattling then? Anything out of the ordinary?

Did you release the clutch mid turn?

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #15
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm guessing that this thread was made by your friend

As for what happened. Only explanation I can think of is: 1st gear is sometimes jerky. If you let off the throttle a bit in first gear while turning, then it's possible the jerkiness caused the front wheel to loose traction. The front wheel may then have turned fully in one direction, then suddenly regained traction throwing you off.

If that did happen, it wasn't the bikes fault. That would be rider error for having poor throttle control and/or being in the wrong gear for the turn.
lol yea that's him. didnt see that

I'm not sure what you're saying... but the turn was SMOOTH... no jerkiness, if that is what you were asking. I fully pressed the clutch, with no throttle.

Quote:
Does the bike run normal after the accident? Maybe something got caught in the front tire.
I stood the bike up after the drop. It died as soon as it stood up. I tried starting the bike. It didn't turn over, so I shifted into nuetral, took the key out completely waited 3 seconds, and it turned on normally and rode normally afterward.

besides little pebbles, nothing else was around.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #16
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're saying... but the turn was SMOOTH... no jerkiness, if that is what you were asking. I fully pressed the clutch, with no throttle.
Ah: if the turn was smooth, then that rules out my theory.

My second theory was that a very small alien ran up to the bike during the turn and stuck an unobtainium rod between the spokes in the front wheel

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #17
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you want to avoid starting two conversations in two different threads about the exact same event, then you should probably delete the above post and let people reply in the new thread you made.
I'll respond here from now on then

Quote:

When you stand the bike back up it probably flooded the engine with gas and died.

Back OT, was the rattling a loose chain? We need more details on what the bike looks like now. Is it running normal now?
loose chain...? maybe. I don't know what I loose chain sounds like and every passing moment I can't remember what the sound sounded like. To describe it perfectly, it sounded like maybe the kickstand was loose and just jumping up and down, but not exactly... there was no "snapping" sound that it makes when you raise it all the way. I'm not sure if it was that or inside the bike. Running perfectly.

Very little damage/scratches, not picture worthy.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #18
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
What? You dont have brinner?
If we do have brinner, then no one told me and I missed out on a lot of food!

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #19
setasai

Quote:
My second theory was that a very small alien ran up to the bike during the turn and stuck an unobtainium rod between the spokes in the front wheel
That's who stole it. Sean and I have been looking all over for unobtainium for our deathproof project... next time you run into the little guy grab the rod before he sneaks away.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #20
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:

From the other thread... why was clutch pulled in on a turn? You said it ran fine and was able to ride home normally after the accident. Was there any rattling then? Anything out of the ordinary?

Did you release the clutch mid turn?
The clutch was fully squeezed because I had enough speed to make that turn. I didn't need to brake or accelerate. It was the perfect speed, not because it happened to be that way, but I entered the turn at the exact speed I wanted. no rattling that I heard afterward. nothing new or strange.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #21
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
this definitely crossed my mind at least once

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #22
setasai

Quote:
The clutch was fully squeezed because I had enough speed to make that turn. I didn't need to brake or accelerate. It was the perfect speed, not because it happened to be that way, but I entered the turn at the exact speed I wanted. no rattling that I heard afterward. nothing new or strange.
Understood but for future riding... dont do that. Just dont. Always have the clutch released and use the throttle to maintain speed if not increase the speed a little.

If there is nothing wrong then I would just chalk it up to a freak accident. You were the rider, if you dont sense anything wrong with the bike now and you dont see anything wrong with your riding at the time... look over the bike once more and let it go.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #23
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I'm quite a noobie, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have drive to the rear wheel while you're going round a corner. Keith Code said you should smoothly and slowly apply more power to the rear wheel as you go round the corner... he talks about really high speed stuff though, but I bet the principles still apply to casual road riding.

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #24
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Understood but for future riding... dont do that. Just dont. Always have the clutch released and use the throttle to maintain speed if not increase the speed a little.

If there is nothing wrong then I would just chalk it up to a freak accident. You were the rider, if you dont sense anything wrong with the bike now and you dont see anything wrong with your riding at the time... look over the bike once more and let it go.
So ur saying I should always enter the turn accelerating until completion at least a little to maintain speed? I ride the motorcycle like I ride my bike... I let the speed vary at what ever comfort level I feel atm.

I haven't spoken to the owner yet... so if he's reading this "sorry cris"

Ill pay for whatever damage he feels I need to fix... but besides for the new 1" long, 1cm thick scratch on the muffler... come on... lol

Ill buy u dinner :-) minados?

Old November 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #25
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Entered too slow, and with the clutch in all the weight was on the front tire, which probably hit one of those little pebbles you mentioned (I think in other thread).
As Brian said... always have the clutch engaged and maintain throttle, so the weight is on the rear tire.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #26
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Somebody needs to take the MSF class. They will teach you how to roll on to the throttle in a turn. Never have the clutch in on a turn. Never. That's silly. Same with a car but I am guessing you don't drive a manual or you would know this already. I am glad there is little damage and you learned a lesson. It happens. Take the MSF course!!!! You seem like a perfect candidate for it.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #27
setasai

Have you taken the MSF course? They should have mentioned that. Really at no time should the clutch be pulled in unless coming to a stop... having power to the rear wheel helps stabilize and smooth the bike. If you need to dampen some of the jerking in 1st or 2nd gear... use the rear brake gently instead or just engine brake.

Regardless, all braking done before a turn and preferably maintain or accelerate out of a turn. Cagers make this extra difficult because they tend to enter a turn fast and brake the whole way out. Especially on on-ramps.

Blah got caught up talking with my brother so response was posted too late.... for the record I agree with Eric and Jono... so yes that is exactly what i'm saying.

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
So ur saying I should always enter the turn accelerating until completion at least a little to maintain speed? I ride the motorcycle like I ride my bike... I let the speed vary at what ever comfort level I feel atm.

I haven't spoken to the owner yet... so if he's reading this "sorry cris"

Ill pay for whatever damage he feels I need to fix... but besides for the new 1" long, 1cm thick scratch on the muffler... come on... lol

Ill buy u dinner :-) minados?
Can't believe Cristian lent you his bike lol

Stick around on this forum. There's lots of knowledgeable folk that can help you in your journey to mould your noobie brain into something a little more suitable for operating a motorcycle

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #29
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
how did you come off the bike? you are leaving some important details out. you were making a very slow right turn... how slow? 10mph or 2 mph? which direction did the bike fall? which direction did you fall? over the handlebars? to the side? were you transitioning onto pavement from asphalt? was there a curb? were you standing up on the bike or sitting down? if the bike locked up one or even both of the tires unless you stoppie-launched yourself, it wouldnt just stop like that unless you hit something. it would more likely skid into a slide.

did you hit something?

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #30
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
how did you come off the bike? you are leaving some important details out. you were making a very slow right turn... how slow? 10mph or 2 mph? which direction did the bike fall? which direction did you fall? over the handlebars? to the side? were you transitioning onto pavement from asphalt? was there a curb? were you standing up on the bike or sitting down? if the bike locked up one or even both of the tires unless you stoppie-launched yourself, it wouldnt just stop like that unless you hit something. it would more likely skid into a slide.

did you hit something?
I'm so glad u asked the important questions. Guessing 10mph. I flew over the right handlebar. Bike fell to the right. Pavement.. asphault... not same thing? Lol curb... dodged it. Sis saw me. Stting down. Don't really now if wheels locked up. Felt like it though. One moment I'm moving, one moment I'm over the bike. I didn't sense anything out of the ordinary until I was over the bike. I skidded a few times as applied the brakes to stop myself from getting run over by reckless cars... so I know what a skid feels like. I did not skid. Even though it felt like I hit something... there was nothing to hit. I checked.

What I really want to know is why the engine was still running when no one was pressing the clutch while it was in 1st or 2nd gear

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #31
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like you turned into a parking lot with your wheel at a 45 to the bump of the entrance while going too slow. wheel caught the indent in the pavement and push the front of the wheel to the left, making the bike drop to the right while you go straight over the right handlebar.

sorry bro, go straight over bumps.

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #32
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
sounds like you turned into a parking lot with your wheel at a 45 to the bump of the entrance while going too slow. wheel caught the indent in the pavement and push the front of the wheel to the left, making the bike drop to the right while you go straight over the right handlebar.

sorry bro, go straight over bumps.
No bumps. No potholes. No curb near where I fell. I know to go straight over bumps... its on the written test

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #33
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
so what you are saying is that for absolutely no reason the bike went one way and you went another way?

Old November 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ok i re-read everything you wrote. after re-reading it sounds like your rear gave and slid out before catching and high-siding you over the top. still sounds like you are leaving out a big detail ... like how your rear could slide out from you when you were going 10mph while straight up. sounds to me like it was more like 25, and straight up actually means about 45d over.

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #35
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
so what you are saying is that for absolutely no reason the bike went one way and you went another way?
I'm saying... it was a right turn so it makes sense for it to fall to the right. Flying over the right handle bar means... bike stopped. It makes sense. Best theory I have is front tire kicked a pebble up and it flew into the chain

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #36
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if your rear tire stopped instantly yoou would not go flying over the bike. you and the bike weigh at least 450 lbs. your rear tire will skid out to the side long before that would ever happen. it would be a challenge to get the bike to do that even with the front tire.

Old November 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #37
jd254
ninjette.org member

Quote:
if your rear tire stopped instantly yoou would not go flying over the bike. you and the bike weigh at least 450 lbs. your rear tire will skid out to the side long before that would ever happen. it would be a challenge to get the bike to do that even with the front tire.
Not saying I don't believe you. I went over the right handlebar, most likely not completely legs over, but definitely left shoulder/chest.

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #38
setasai

10mph is like brisk walking speed... well not really but still that is slowwwww... The bike handles very differently going that slow. Who knows what happened but since the bike ran fine after... I doubt there is anything wrong with it.

More than likedly its the combination of clutch being pulled in, super slow speed at 10mph, in a turn, and a new rider that caused this to happen.

At this point... let it go... work it out with your friend on the repairs and keep riding. Oh and before it gets shrouded in all the posts... TAKE THE MSF!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #39
setasai

Quote:
what if an invisible wall the size of the front tire magically appeared? That would cause this situation wouldnt it?

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #40
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
I live in America and have never heard that word...haha.