ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Dying for a Bike! What's the PRICE?

So I just introduced myself on the forums, and like everyone here I'm dying to get out there and ride! Only one problem....

NO BIKE

Well I'm looking to fix that problem this fall. Ideally I'd like to get a 2008+ model, hence this board, with less than 6000 miles and minor scratches at worst. No dents at all or scratches you'll notice from more than 10 ft away basically. Obviously it should be mechanically sound. What price do you think I should be looking at for say an 08' or 09'?

Alternatively I would consider the old gen models to, 2005 or newer, with fewer than 7 or 8k miles for the right price and in about same condition as I mentioned for the newer bikes, but wouldn't want to spend as much. What do you guys think a good price would be for these?

I've got my own idea of what would be a good deal for each but I figure I'd take a pole just to see what feedback I get. Thanks for the help!

-------------------------------------
Well yes I'd basically like a new bike without paying sticker price. Fact is, bikes lose value the moment you buy them from a dealer new, just not as much value as a car might. I'm not looking to get one for $1,500. I'd say something that matches my description would be a pretty good deal at the 3k or under mark. I've seen a couple 08' and 09's fitting my description running in the 2.5-2.8k range in my area over the last 6 months or so. Seen quite a few more in that range missing a mirror or having med-large scratches on the side. I've also run across a few pre-gen bikes, around the 05' year, under 10k miles, for 1.5-1.8k range. Didn't have the money when any of these bikes popped up though, and now that I do I'm waiting to get all my school expenses tallied and budgeted before moving on the next good deal that pops up.

Overall it seems these bikes tend to go for a lot more in some of the other parts of the country than they seem to here. Not that there aren't a bunch of guys asking 4k+ for bikes with 3k miles and 2 years old though. There still are. I'm just not willing to pay sticker price for a bike that's anything but brand new. And why buy new when there's used?

(But I'd certainly jump on a sub 1k deal for an older, higher mileage, or scratched bike! Lucky you dirty nasty for getting an almost new one for that!)

Last futzed with by JustRidin; July 18th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
JustRidin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
garrisonboobs
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r(sold), 2005 ZX-6r 636

i see most of the newer gens in my area go for $3200 with high mileage and up to $4500 with low miles.
garrisonboobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Why so stingy on the miles? You know they go past 10k right?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #4
93etgocart
ninjette.org member

Name: dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Shadow, 2008 ninja 250

around here in missouri the new gens usually are going for mid 3ks with 6k miles or you can settle for the older models like I did and I picked up my 2000 with 5k on it for only $1300 so if you are just dying to get out and ride and cant afford to spend the 3 to 4k everyone wants
93etgocart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Sooooooo basically you're looking for a new bike, only you don't want to pay for a new bike...? Why not just pay for a new bike since mileage and scratches seem to be important to you?
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #6
PKL
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Why so stingy on the price?
I fixed it for you.

You know these bikes go for $4k new? (before out the door fees)

If you have good credit the financing offers are pretty fair.

Such a low price point for a motorcycle.

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #7
PKL
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R

PS - this is the TECH section of the forum

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #8
PistolPete93
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Mine was 2700, 2009 with 2.5k miles
PistolPete93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #9
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

There is a guy on craigslist in my area that has one for $2,500. I talked him down to $2,000 cash and he accepted. I go to pick it up tomorrow hopefully. I am wating on funds to come in. The bike is a 2009, candy thunder blue, not one scratch or dent, and under 5,000 miles. Basically what you want a new bike without the new bike price.
msebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ill sell you a 92 fzr 600 for $1300

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #11
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by msebastian View Post
There is a guy on craigslist in my area that has one for $2,500. I talked him down to $2,000 cash and he accepted. I go to pick it up tomorrow hopefully. I am wating on funds to come in. The bike is a 2009, candy thunder blue, not one scratch or dent, and under 5,000 miles. Basically what you want a new bike without the new bike price.
Wow! Almost sounds too good to be true...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #12
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

http://www.nadaguides.com/
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #13
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

No one uses that thing. Only the banks do for finance purposes. It's only a guide anyway. People in the market will have to pay what the market ask.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msebastian View Post
sounds like its stolen. or has a bunch of fees on the registration. especially if you haggled him down on the phone.

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #15
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I'd recommend riding both generations before buying

I rented a new-gen for 12 hours and rode it 300 miles before I ever rode a pre-gen and I found the ride to be unbearable. I don't know what it was, but every twenty miles I had to pull over and do stretches due to an excruciating pain in my knees caused by the new-gen. I didn't like the seat, or the lack of space underneath it, or how seat went back on (it was a huge PITA on the new-gen). I didn't like the instrument cluster either. Other than all that, I absolutely loved the Ninja 250!

A few weeks later I happened to be in the right place at the right time. A Ninja 250 pre-gen popped up on Craigslist for $500. It had 2845 miles, which the PO mis-read the 1/10ths of a mile being the fifth digit. She thought it had 28k miles, hence the low price. I had a hard time finding a used new-gen with less than 3k miles, and forget $500 for a new-gen completely unless if it's a parts bike.

I bought it, fixed it up for less than $100, registered and insured it for the year for less than $200 and I'll be coming up on having put 3000 more miles on the bike shortly! The only short comings of the pre-gen model compared to the new-gen (for regular commuting on public roads, not sport or track riding) is the suspension. The new-gen has noticeably better suspension. Otherwise, unless you go looking for differences, I promise you will not notice a difference. With that said, I looked for every difference, and if you put it in that perspective these models are MASSIVELY different.

None of the issues I had with the new-gen transferred to the pre-gen. I liked the pre-gen in almost every way better.

I was going to finance a used new-gen from a dealer, despite the incredible knee pain. I just wanted a bike to enjoy this summer. I didn't have the money saved to buy one outright (BTW, never buy toys outright), but I do have a good job and could make payments on a Ninja 250. Instead I had waited and bought a bike I am MUCH more satisfied with, and I'm debt free baby! When the time comes to sell I'll also make a nice little bonus on this bike seeing as I only got it for $500.

There is no need to rush into these things. You will get a motorcycle when the time is right. No need to be dying for it. I say wait for the best deal.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #16
msebastian
ninjette.org guru

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sounds like its stolen. or has a bunch of fees on the registration. especially if you haggled him down on the phone.
No I saw and rode it in person. It does sound 2 good 2 be true but the guy needs to get rid of it asap. I saw it only hours after he posted it and saw it and rode it later on that day. I am lucky no one has bought it out from under me. There is still that possibility because I might not have the money until Mon., but it is a very nice bike and I hope I can get it. I also saw and went over the title so it is not stolen. I even called my insurance company to get a quote for insurance using the vin #. If it were stolen it would show when they looked the bike up. I also have a local company who sells salvage title bikes and they have a mint 04 R6 for $2,500 I am looking into as well. So if one goes I hope to have a backup plan, unless they both go.
msebastian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #17
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Yes, if the title is clear, in the person's name, and if the VIN on the title matches the VIN on the frame then I would have no worries of it being stolen. Even if it were stolen, then they did a damn good job to avoid detection of it being stolen. At that point the only way someone would be able to tell if it were stolen (because the frame would have to be swapped with a clear title one, obviously) is if the previous owner were to see a bike with a certain modification, or "that scratch or dent in the tank/plastics", etc. Unfortunately knowing where a dent is on your bike when you can't prove the VIN matches your title makes it kinda of hard to prove to the police that you've found your stolen motorcycle sitting in the lot at your corner store.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote