Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old November 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #81
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looks yummy in action shots. Is it just me, or does the cockpit look a little roomier than the ninjette? Definitely more aggressive bars/rearsets than the stock ninjette stuff.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #82
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I love singles, but don't want one in a sportbike. Why?

1) They are buzzy at highway speeds. Some people think the ninjette is bad, but it's nowhere near the vibes of the singles that I've ridden had. More cylinders are smoother, inline fours are smooth as butter.

2) Singles are good for making low end torque, which is great. They aren't so good though at high rpm hp, which is what a lot of people want in a sportbike. Especially a small displacement sportbike.

3) IMO multi-cylinder engines feel more refined than singles. I'll pick the 'berg most of the time if I'm going on joyride, but for the daily commute the 300 is my choice almost every time.

My opinion is solely based on dirt bikes though, so maybe it would change if I rode a bike like the KTM 390. Haven't ridden a cbr 250, don't really care to.
Part of your opinion is based on dirt tires too I'd guess. I had a Burg 570 and with street tires on 17" wheels it was buttery smooth. Not as smooth as the Ninja 300, you could always feel it running but it was very muted, damped, gentle low frequency vibes. Now, my 07 SXf450 and 505, DOHC KTMs were glass smooth. Like velvet.

If you street ride the Burger with rim locks and knobbies, it is an apples to orangutans comparison. Singles can be amazing. Oh yeah, those 450/505 engines friggin SANG to the limiter. Top end was howling fast.

All thumpers are not created equal and KTM builds some of the best.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #83
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Ktm builds the highest hp singles around. Just look at all the dirtbike comparisons. They never complain about hp.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #84
old3
ninjette.org sage

Forget it for 2014.

I got a look at my dealerships official bike line up/bike order book. No 390 of any type for 2014. The Adv 1190, Adv 1190R, a 690R DS and 690 Duke and the RC1190 are the street bikes. Even more glad I got my 300 last year.

Hope for 2015.

Old November 29th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #85
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Not even the Duke 390? Dealership told me it is coming to Canada for 2014 but he didn't have pricing yet.

Old November 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #86
old3
ninjette.org sage

I saw the USA book, no idea on Canada.

Old November 30th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #87
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMman View Post
Not even the Duke 390? Dealership told me it is coming to Canada for 2014 but he didn't have pricing yet.
Just got an email from the dealership I mentioned. He was expecting to hear about the Duke 390 this fall but nothing has been released yet, just people talking about it at the dealer meeting. He told me to check again in Jan or Feb.

As much as I'd love to own a KTM, I can look into the future and see me sticking with Kawi because its hard to justify KTM's (usually) much higher prices. I wanted a KTM 690SM back in 2007 but bought a Suzuki DR-Z400SM instead because of the huge price difference. I know the KTM was more bike, but my wife didn't think it was worth the extra coin

Old November 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #88
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMman View Post
Just got an email from the dealership I mentioned. He was expecting to hear about the Duke 390 this fall but nothing has been released yet, just people talking about it at the dealer meeting. He told me to check again in Jan or Feb.

As much as I'd love to own a KTM, I can look into the future and see me sticking with Kawi because its hard to justify KTM's (usually) much higher prices. I wanted a KTM 690SM back in 2007 but bought a Suzuki DR-Z400SM instead because of the huge price difference. I know the KTM was more bike, but my wife didn't think it was worth the extra coin
Is your wife a moto evaluation expert? The KTM 690 was worth every penny compared to the DRZ, and I used to race DRZs!

Old November 30th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #89
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Of course not, although she rides the 636 and has attended a track school .

Her decision was certainly motivated by the bottom line and the KTM dealer would not budge one single penny from the full retail price. The bike ended up sitting on the floor for an entire extra year before selling. The owner who eventually bought it ended up having issues with it so traded for a CBR600RR not long after.

Old November 30th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #90
old3
ninjette.org sage

She is hogging all the good bike budget money bro!!!

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:33 AM   #91
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

KTM RC390 caught testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/news/ktm-rc390-caught-testing-in-india/17792/
Fully faired camouflaged KTM RC390 spotted testing in Pune will be launched in India soon alongwith the RC200

KTM RC390 Spied near Pune

The only bike that can thrill like the KTM 390 Duke, in the same price bracket, has to be the much anticipated KTM RC390. It seems that Bajaj is determined to launch the bike sooner than we expected, as the fully faired KTM has recently been caught being testing on Indian tarmac, near Pune. The picture of the completely camouflaged bike has gone viral on all KTM fan pages on Facebook, however, its bright orange trellis frame and alloy wheels reveal the true identity of the RC test mule. One can’t ignore the attractive styling of the Austrian bikes which shines through despite the disguise.

KTM has recently updated their Indian website with RC200 and RC390 pictures and ‘coming soon to India’ mentioned just below, hinting that the launch could be just around the corner. Bajaj will be announcing the official launch date soon, much to the pleasure to thousands of eagerly waiting KTM devotees.

Both the RC bikes have sharper styling, specifically made bodywork with a sportier riding position than the Duke models. However, the engine and specification are expected to be identical to their sibling Duke’s line-up. So, the RC200 would be powered by a liquid cooled, four-valve, single cylinder 199.5cc motor producing 25 PS and would weigh about 137.5 kg. While the RC390 would get a 373.2cc single, churning out a sumptuous 43.5 PS peak power, with the scale tipping towards 147 kg giving it stunning power to weight ratio!

The bikes will be produced at Bajaj’s Chakan facility and we expect Bajaj to continue their aggressive pricing strategy, demanding a slight price hike for the RC series over the Duke line, which currently retails between Rs 1.27 to Rs 1.76 lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM   #92
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Crikey, how high is the seat on that thing?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #93
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Crikey, how high is the seat on that thing?
Yeah, I was literally tip toing when I sat on an RC8R one time... This seems similar... I can easily flatfoot a 250/300

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #94
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
If it's similar seat height to a 600 then it'll be perfect for me any taller and I'm less interested in it as it would be a street bike. So far everything about this bike has sounded perfect for a sporty street bike, though maybe a larger 600ish class bike would be more comfortable on the highway this bike would likely be more fun on or back road without unnecessary extra power.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #95
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

Hmm, I figured an employee testing their new bike would be wearing more appropriate gear.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #96
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley813 View Post
Hmm, I figured an employee testing their new bike would be wearing more appropriate gear.
It's india buddy, I would be surprised if he was wearing a helmet... Hahaha

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #97
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
It's india buddy, I would be surprised if he was wearing a helmet... Hahaha
are helmets more expensive or do people not think that they're needed?

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #98
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
are helmets more expensive or do people not think that they're needed?
I think they just don't know better/give a ****... Lol even tho wearing a helmet is compulsory by law; I see too many bikers hanging theirs on their mirrors... The funniest is people wearing full faced helmets like a cap with the visor above their forehead... I so need to click that when I see it...

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #99
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
If it's similar seat height to a 600 then it'll be perfect for me any taller and I'm less interested in it as it would be a street bike.
Seat heights on supersports are all over the place. I fit on my Gixxer like a glove. On a R6 I'm on tiptoes. I will never own a Yamaha for that reason.

A 390 would be perfect but a too-tall seat is a deal-killer for me... I need to live with a bike in the real world, where there's sand, gravel, uneven pavement etc. I need to get at least the ball of a foot down or sooner or later the bike will get dropped.

Old March 4th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #100
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

I agree. If I can't get my foot down or mostly down it's not worth it. The hassle of having to balance the bike on one foot would kill too much of the fun.

GSXRs are an easy bike to flat foot. I'm 5'8 and a 750 was no problem for me. Then I had to tell the salesman I was just looking.

Old March 4th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #101
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I wouldn't read too much into that picture. The rider could be related to Vern Troyer. There's no reason for KTM to make the seat higher than reasonable, given both the small capacity engine and the intended market.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #102
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

I just checked the KTM website and they list 820mm seat height which equals about 32.25 inches.

I'm sure there are the usual seat mods and such that could bring it down an inch though.

Old March 4th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #103
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
I agree. If I can't get my foot down or mostly down it's not worth it. The hassle of having to balance the bike on one foot would kill too much of the fun.

GSXRs are an easy bike to flat foot. I'm 5'8 and a 750 was no problem for me. Then I had to tell the salesman I was just looking.
I could see a bike that is difficult to touch ground/support while stopped being annoying in a city environment but for any people that live in rural settings this would be next to non issue IMO. I primarily use my bike to commute and my 35min commute consists of 3 stops signs and 1 light which equates to a very small fraction of the time spent on the motorcycle

JMO

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 09:45 AM   #104
adouglas
Cat herder

Joe, take a towel and put it on your seat, folded up thick enough that you can only tiptoe your bike. Tape it in place and ride around for a week. Let us know how you like it.

It's easy to say tiptoeing is not an issue if you don't have to do it.

In the real world, you will need to back up against a grade from time to time. You'll come to a stop and put your foot down on some pebbles. You'll have to shift the bike from left to right and back again to get it on its kickstand, yet you'll have only one foot able to reach the ground (think about that for a sec).

Little things like that make a bike hard to live with if you can't reach the ground.

Riding a bike with a high seat is not an issue. Putting up with it day in and day out is.

If I had a track bike, where I knew that I'd never face any of those issues and where there will always be someone around to put a stand under it when I pull into the pits, then no worries.

Old March 4th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #105
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Old March 4th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #106
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Joe, take a towel and put it on your seat, folded up thick enough that you can only tiptoe your bike. Tape it in place and ride around for a week. Let us know how you like it.

In the real world, you will need to back up against a grade from time to time. You'll come to a stop and put your foot down on some pebbles. You'll have to shift the bike from left to right and back again to get it on its kickstand, yet you'll have only one foot able to reach the ground (think about that for a sec).

Little things like that make a bike hard to live with if you can't reach the ground.

Riding a bike with a high seat is not an issue. Putting up with it day in and day out is.

If I had a track bike, where I knew that I'd never face any of those issues and where there will always be someone around to put a stand under it when I pull into the pits, then no worries.
Seat height on yz250 is around 39" even with 2" sag that is still 37" I'm not quite 5'8" and I don't consider my legs long. I like it just fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yz.jpg (28.8 KB, 215 views)

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old March 4th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #107
adouglas
Cat herder

Dry weight 212 pounds. Add a couple of hundred pounds to that to get it up to typical sportbike weight. It makes a difference.

Old March 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #108
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
do it long enough and you learn how to manage and don't put yourself in situations that warrant an off balance tip, it just becomes second nature and another thing you do with out thinking about it. I rarely ever touch two down on my ninja, maybe sometimes if I am at a light that I know takes forever to change ill drop 2 but by no means is it something I could not live with out.

Old March 4th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #109
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Any clue on when/if the RC390 is coming to the US?
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #110
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:

Quote:
Dry weight 212 pounds. Add a couple of hundred pounds to that to get it up to typical sportbike weight. It makes a difference.
I get that you have a valid concern, but your opinion isn't universally shared. I can't get close to putting my feet down on my 600+ pound RT, and have no issues maneuvering it in the tightest of conditions. Heck, I had the seat made significantly higher than standard for additional long-distance comfort. Seat height is always a tradeoff between lean angle capability, comfort, and packaging. Seat height tends to be a strong indicator of comfort for newer riders (and first time rider type bikes), and tends to have somewhat less importance as people get more miles under their belt. Somewhat surprised the 390 appears to be significantly higher than the CBR300 and the Ninja 300, and wondering if they will adjust that before hitting the US market.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #111
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:

That's something short people have to deal with regardless of the bike. I'm on the ball of one foot when stopped on the 300 and I ride every day. You just get used to it.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #112
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Any clue on when/if the RC390 is coming to the US?
Never.... but seriously... never

ok ok seriously, hasn't even been announced for US market yet but if we are going to get it, which many people think we will it is looking like no sooner than spring 2015. I hope this is incorrect and we see it fall this year but most likely not gonna happen

Old March 4th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #113
mgentz
Board Member

didn't some one on here say their buddy got one? I think sprinter did or something....

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #114
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
didn't some one on here say their buddy got one? I think sprinter did or something....
link with gps and time stamped pics or it didn't happen

KTM usa website still doesn't even have the duke on it yet, let alone any of the rc's

2015 keeps getting thrown around from what I read

Old March 4th, 2014, 01:27 PM   #115
mgentz
Board Member

I know. That's why I am calling BS on that mention of getting one.

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #116
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Seat heights on supersports are all over the place. I fit on my Gixxer like a glove. On a R6 I'm on tiptoes. I will never own a Yamaha for that reason.

A 390 would be perfect but a too-tall seat is a deal-killer for me... I need to live with a bike in the real world, where there's sand, gravel, uneven pavement etc. I need to get at least the ball of a foot down or sooner or later the bike will get dropped.
ah, that makes sense. the cbr600rr/zx6r-636 fit me well but the r6 doesn't (I don't like gixxers due to the insurance rates being higher than everyone else, the only suzuki's I like are the 750 and the drz400) On the flip side the r6 fits my tall friends better than any other 600. 1000s tend to be a bit big for me in terms of street use. This is due to the fact that I have to back the bike up uphill on a regular basis, aka every time I park at home.

Old March 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #117
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I love the RC 390 and if it comes to the USA I will strongly consider trading in the SV and making The RC my daily/tracker. I chose the sv for the perfect amount of torque and its great around town manners. I believe the RC 390 will be even better for the riding I mostly do and I have never owned a brand new bike so there is that to look forward to also!! What a great bike idea approx. 43 horses and a thumper of torque should add up to fun Light weight + Thumper torque = much fun

I read above about the seat height debate. I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam and I can almost flat foot a 32" seat height bike but seat width can make or break the equation. Why don't more people lower their bikes? 1" in the back will hardly make a difference and the links are really cheap and easy to install. I lowered my ninja 250 2.5" in the rear and 1" up front so my 5' wife could comfortably ride. My ducati comes from the factory with a ride height adjustor which changes ride height by +/- 3" and the swing arm can be lowered another 1/2"which also lowers the seat. Lots of people lower the forks in the triple clamps to fine tune steering + or - 20mm which is over 1/2". Why tip toe when you can "set up" your bike to suit you? Lastly with the proper sag set a 32" unloaded seat height should drop to around 31.5" or less.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #118
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I don't know about others but I personally will never lower a bike, luckily I am just tall enough to not need to lower the majority of potential street bikes. The reason that I will not lower a bike has to do with cornering, I would rather have the stock cornering limits than to lower the limits in the name of more comfort. Though I do admit my reasoning is a little silly as a lower bike would have lower lean angle limits anyway. I feel that a 675/650 class bike (read: honda cbr650f or triumph street triple r) may fit my eventual needs better as they can cruise down the highway at relatively low rpms compared to smaller bikes.

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #119
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
I don't know about others but I personally will never lower a bike, luckily I am just tall enough to not need to lower the majority of potential street bikes. The reason that I will not lower a bike has to do with cornering, I would rather have the stock cornering limits than to lower the limits in the name of more comfort. Though I do admit my reasoning is a little silly as a lower bike would have lower lean angle limits anyway. I feel that a 675/650 class bike (read: honda cbr650f or triumph street triple r) may fit my eventual needs better as they can cruise down the highway at relatively low rpms compared to smaller bikes.

perhaps it's just me but i don't ever understand this line and i hear it so much.

"want a bike that can go on highway at lower rpm's"

why?

The power and torque for any bike are generally in the higher revs, sure a large displacement bike has more low end grunt but regardless why wouldn't you want to be in the meat of the power band unless you are trying to save on gas <--- generally not my top priority

Heck in my car, the only reason i shift out of 4th into 5th is to save gas, sometimes i debate hitting 4th and just stay in 3rd if traffic is slow (60-65mph) Thats were the fun is if i want to go some where in a hurry i just press or roll the throttle, no need to down shift or lug the engine at WOT in to high of a gear.

One of main reason i chose a ninja over cbr was rev range, same thing with the civic si i used to have. That thing was a blast, from 6k -8.5krpm range, why would you drive it under 6k? It could easily do highway speeds at low revs in 6th gear but i would rather be in the power band in 3rd or 4th gear all day long

IDK? perhaps since i grew up on 2stroke dirt bikes which are all or nothing depending on your rpms is why i feel this way, but IMO if you are not making that engine sing you are not doing it right and missing out big time otherwise just get a cruiser or touring bike

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #120
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post

perhaps it's just me but i don't ever understand this line and i hear it so much.

"want a bike that can go on highway at lower rpm's"

why?

The power and torque for any bike are generally in the higher revs, sure a large displacement bike has more low end grunt but regardless why wouldn't you want to be in the meat of the power band unless you are trying to save on gas <--- generally not my top priority
While I'm cruising down the highway the extra rpms are a bit annoying to me. If I'm on the highway I'm travelling larger distances where gas mileage plays a large effect. Everywhere other than highway (excluding stuck behind a slow car) I'm in a lower gear and using the power of the vehicle this is why a 1000 would be an awful street bike for me since I could never use one properly on the streets. A 675/650 is my current reasonable maximum on public roads and I won't get one of those for years to come. Gas mileage is a priority to me when I'm traveling bland distance and performance when I'm on a twisty/fun road. There's also the bit that if you roll off the throttle a bit (because you want to stretch out your wrist a bit due to riding at the same exact wrist position for half an hour or more) when you're higher in the rev range you lose more speed quicker which can be potentially dangerous if there are cars behind you.