ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 9th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Name: Rusty

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250, 96 VFR750, 79 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Hey everybody I'm back, just rebuilt another engine won't stay running

So I've been away from the ninja scene for a while as I stopped working on the bike when I botched the rebuild. I'm assuming thats what happened because before I took it apart i had no compression in cylinder 1 after rebuild no compression in cylinder 2.

Any way to the present
So after searching on and off I found a running motor with a bad head gasket, (coolant in oil, not not the other way that I could see) so being that the price was rock solid and the mrs. has recently found a solid motivation to ride and funded the rebuild we pulled the trigger, so i go the motor (less starter and stator) pulled these off my motor which I know are good, and swapped them over, while I was looking around I pulled the water pump and it looked good and I pulled the one off my motor and decided mine looked to be in better shape so swapped the cover and gasket over.

From here I took both valve heads off and took my brand new gasket (that was in the motor i botched) and put it on this motor, added a very very very little amount of head gasket sealant after making both surfaces where spotless and put it all back together. once back together put in the key, sprayed a little starter fluid in there (no tank on yet) and hit the starter and after a few loud pop pop pop (from no exhaust at all) she started up *did happy dance* quickly turned it off put the tank on filled it up with oil put the exhaust on and again started up but only with starter fluid. figured the gas might be the reason so put in fresh gas. again wouldn't run. Found an oil leak but it was because i didn't torque the valve cover right). Figured I would fill the cooling system to see if that the was cause still nothing.

I hit the starter and it will turn and sputter, and if I give it some gas 50% or so it will putter at 1100 RPM but not fully run. I never flushed the oil system just filled it up (drained the old oil before taking it home so it didn't spill all over the Mrs car) so I'm not sure what could be the cause, any thoughts?

Old August 9th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Also note, carbs were cleaned during the time i rebuilt the old engine, didn't mess with them this time.

Old August 9th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
It's either your carburetors or a vacuum leak, or both.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #4
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
It's either your carburetors or a vacuum leak, or both.
Awesome glad I don't have a cali bike i'll try and wrestle the carbs out and tackle both at the same time. will update.

Old August 10th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #5
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

so an interesting development that makes me think its a vacuum issue. It was raining today that misty crap that just lingers. well i got home and it was still going on. and for shits and giggles I put the key in the ignition and hit the starter and wouldn't you know it started right up idled strong and quickly ran all the way to red line. and then after about 10-20 seconds it started acting up again.

going to try and get some vacuum line tomorrow to see if i can fix it?

does anyone else concur?

Old August 10th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustitution View Post
so an interesting development that makes me think its a vacuum issue. It was raining today that misty crap that just lingers. well i got home and it was still going on. and for shits and giggles I put the key in the ignition and hit the starter and wouldn't you know it started right up idled strong and quickly ran all the way to red line. and then after about 10-20 seconds it started acting up again.

going to try and get some vacuum line tomorrow to see if i can fix it?

does anyone else concur?
Sounds like something is restricting fuel flow. To confirm, you could run it until it quits and open quickly the floatbowl drains to see how much fuel comes out. Catch both sides and compare.

Don't start it up and take it to redline...it proves nothing and it's terrible for an engine...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #7
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Sounds like something is restricting fuel flow. To confirm, you could run it until it quits and open quickly the floatbowl drains to see how much fuel comes out. Catch both sides and compare.

Don't start it up and take it to redline...it proves nothing and it's terrible for an engine...
good point I didn't take it to red line just revved it up into the power band still not good for the engine but I was just looking to see what the throttle response was

Old August 11th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
good point I didn't take it to red line just revved it up into the power band still not good for the engine but I was just looking to see what the throttle response was
My point that revving in neutral "proves nothing" is that when not under load the carb will not operate the same as it does when it's under load. The amount of throttle opening to rev to redline in neutral is extremely small compared to when you are riding (under load). You are not using the same fuel circuits, so it's not telling you anything about the carburetion. The ignition requirements are significantly less when not under load as well.

Old August 11th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

thanks for clarifying that. well regardless I need to take the carbs apart new fuel and vacuum lines did nothing so this weekend its taking the bike apart again and yanking the carbs and cleaning them out ultra sonic cleaner is going to get some use this weekend

Old August 11th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This section has a lot of good info on carb cleaning and adjustments - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...n_the_carbs%3F.

Best to read-up a bit if you are not very familiar with the carbs and what needs to be done so you only need to do it once.

Old August 11th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like you need to clean the carbs again

Old August 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #12
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sounds like you need to clean the carbs again
Oh did I ever didn't think a year of not running would cause this but i guess some fuel must have gotten into the bowls while I dealt with compression issues

took it all apart and did the batterybox mod while I was in there when I opened the bowls this is what I found.

That was a suprise but would also explain why almost no fuel came out of bowl 2

Old August 15th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #13
Rustitution
World Class Ninja

Well after I cleaned up that mess I put them back together and after 15 minutes of scratching my head wondering why I'm not getting fuel to flow I realized I botched the vacuum lines so i fixed that a little eather and it started ran and idled hopped on and went around the block and no power in the mid range so I think I need to take them back out again and clean them again GRRRRR

Old August 15th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #14
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Personally you need to contact @ducatiman to service those. With those being that nasty they need to be refurbished and a meticulous cleaning.

Ducatiman thread for carburetor services
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226815

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...54#post1041054

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.

Last futzed with by Ghostt; August 15th, 2015 at 04:21 PM.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Oh did I ever didn't think a year of not running would cause this but i guess some fuel must have gotten into the bowls while I dealt with compression issues

took it all apart and did the batterybox mod while I was in there when I opened the bowls this is what I found.

ewwwwwwwwwww

Old August 16th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #16
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:

Those are just flavor crystals. Just take them apart and set aside all the rubber parts then soak them berrymans before you clean them. You'll likely need new floats needles and seals. For imgur pics you can do an instant resize by putting a s, m, or l at the end of the name. Like this:

"http://i.imgur.com/Is2mdE6l.jpg"

agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.