ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 1st, 2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Ninja 650 vs Versys 650 vs Street Triple vs Hypermotard

This may seem like a bit of an odd comparison, but these are the bikes I'm considering for my next ride. They all fit the bill for something with more power than the 250 but not crazy, upright riding position, and ABS. Riding is mainly commuting and fun weekend rides, with some aspirations of future track days and possible light touring.

I know that the real answer is to sit on and ride all of them and pick whichever feels the best, but I like daydreaming and talking about my next bike quite a bit. I'm just looking for opinions to add to my own thoughts/research.

Ninja 650
Pros: I think it's one of the best-looking Ninjas, looks comfy and capable as a daily ride.
Cons: I've heard more than a few people call it "appliance-like"

Versys 650 LT
Pros: Comes with hard saddlebags, longer suspension travel.
Cons: Tall. I sat on one at IMS and while not a KLR650 it's much taller than I'm used to.

Street Triple:
Pros: Everything I've read has nothing but good things to say about this bike.
Cons: Just as pricey as the Ducati but not as sexy

Hypermotard:
Pros: Looks like a ton of fun and awesome to look at
Cons: Expensive, and might be a bit too much of a step up from the 250.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

My opinion really means nothing since i havent ridden any of them, but if they were my only options then i would lean toward the Ninja650 or the Street triple. I think i may end up with the 650 though to get fairings since this is a do it all bike for you. I dont think i would use a motard for everything like you want, the street surely is the most powerful of them all, and the verseys i just think is the odd one out.

The option not on your list is the Ninja 1000 (surprise, i think my bikes awesome), and they can be had for good prices since they havent caught on amazingly. The only concern would be track duty due to how upright it is, but compared to the other ones your looking at sans the triumph they are all the same in that department.

Old June 1st, 2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

I have actually been looking at the 1000 as well, I had ruled it out as it seems like a big jump in power. If I did that I'd probably keep the 250 as a track bike.

Old June 1st, 2015, 12:19 PM   #4
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Ok. I've ridden the hypermotard. I currently have 27,000 miles on my motard, all by me.

It is hands down the most amazing bike ive ever ridden.

It is A LOT more power than a 250. It makes you do bad things.

If you don't have good self restraint and common sense, that bike is not for you!

a 15,000 mile valve adjustment service runs you about $1200.
So it is on the expensive side. I have the 2013 821cc model.

It's a crazy bike!

Old June 1st, 2015, 12:35 PM   #5
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I have actually been looking at the 1000 as well, I had ruled it out as it seems like a big jump in power. If I did that I'd probably keep the 250 as a track bike.
2 years and about 8,000 miles on my 250 and i bought my 1000. Hasnt been an issue, sure its a TON more power, but its pretty linear and manageable for sure. It doesnt have a big hit of power like an SS, just gradually more and more and more until redline. Lots of torque too, 2,500rpm and up the thing has power, doesnt bog, i love it. Ive dont many 300-400 miles days without issue, weekend trips, the dragon, commute on it daily and it still puts a smile on my face. I also kept my 250 as a track bike, but that role will be changing soon too...

But....check insurance of all of them too to see how that weighs in.

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

@krolinked I've read a few of your threads, which is part of what got me really interested in it. It seems awesome, but I don't know if I'm quite ready for something so maniacal.
@Bigballsofpaint How does the weight/size feel coming from the 250? Obviously it's bigger and heavier, but how much of a difference does it feel like?

Old June 1st, 2015, 01:20 PM   #7
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
@krolinked I've read a few of your threads, which is part of what got me really interested in it. It seems awesome, but I don't know if I'm quite ready for something so maniacal.
@Bigballsofpaint How does the weight/size feel coming from the 250? Obviously it's bigger and heavier, but how much of a difference does it feel like?
Pushing it around the garage, you can feel it. Once your moving, non issue. Its still very manageable to move it around and what not though, not super cumbersome like a harley or big touring bike.

Old June 1st, 2015, 02:25 PM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
soo looking at what you said, primarily commuting, some weekend riding, maybe track, maybe touring.

I don't see the motard or the street triple being the best for track and or touring, would be fun for commuting and weekends as long as you are not pounding the highway miles.

That leaves the 650 and the Versys. I know nothing of the versys, is it suitable for the track? Is it going to do what you want for that weekend ride?

The 650, as much as i rag on it (mainly for looks, just not my thing) i'm sure it is a solid bike all around, nice torque curve, still sporty, good for commuting, trackable, fun on the weekends. Touring?... i could think of worse bikes so i think u could make it work but IDK never ridden one.

Any other bikes in consideration?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 02:30 PM   #9
Bigballsofpaint

^ Thats why i recommended the 650, its a love or hate thing with looks for people, and he loves the way it looks.

Old June 1st, 2015, 02:34 PM   #10
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
soo looking at what you said, primarily commuting, some weekend riding, maybe track, maybe touring.

I don't see the motard or the street triple being the best for track and or touring, would be fun for commuting and weekends as long as you are not pounding the highway miles.

That leaves the 650 and the Versys. I know nothing of the versys, is it suitable for the track? Is it going to do what you want for that weekend ride?

The 650, as much as i rag on it (mainly for looks, just not my thing) i'm sure it is a solid bike all around, nice torque curve, still sporty, good for commuting, trackable, fun on the weekends. Touring?... i could think of worse bikes so i think u could make it work but IDK never ridden one.

Any other bikes in consideration?
I'm really not sure how inportant track capability is as I've never been and don't know how much I would go once I start. I'm considering anything with an upright riding position and ABS, and I'd like to buy new.

Old June 1st, 2015, 02:40 PM   #11
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
I'm really not sure how inportant track capability is as I've never been and don't know how much I would go once I start. I'm considering anything with an upright riding position and ABS, and I'd like to buy new.
Dont go, youll never want to stop.....if any portion of you plans on going to the track then keeping the 250 as a track bike will make life much easier on you.

Old June 1st, 2015, 06:06 PM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
what do you think of the yamy fz07? I recently road one briefly i might add but got to look it over pretty good. Seems like a solid bike for the money. Plenty of torque and fun factor. Not quite the engine of the triple but it shouldn't leave you wanting by the sounds of it but at a much lower cost than the triple

I don't know too many other more upright seating position bikes. What about the FZ6? that is a small sport IL4 i think it is more upright?

Is the new 650 cbr more of an upright position? i can't remember

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 06:21 PM   #13
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
what do you think of the yamy fz07? I recently road one briefly i might add but got to look it over pretty good. Seems like a solid bike for the money. Plenty of torque and fun factor. Not quite the engine of the triple but it shouldn't leave you wanting by the sounds of it but at a much lower cost than the triple

I don't know too many other more upright seating position bikes. What about the FZ6? that is a small sport IL4 i think it is more upright?

Is the new 650 cbr more of an upright position? i can't remember
I like everything about the FZ7 except that it has no ABS. That's really a dealbreaker at this point for me. For some reason Yamaha only puts ABS on their models for other countries but not here.

I haven't looked at the CBR's, I'll see what they have over in Hondaland.

Old June 1st, 2015, 07:03 PM   #14
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Ninja 650
Pros: I think it's one of the best-looking Ninjas, looks comfy and capable as a daily ride.
Cons: I've heard more than a few people call it "appliance-like"
Rode one, had a blast.
Quote:
Versys 650 LT
Pros: Comes with hard saddlebags, longer suspension travel.
Cons: Tall. I sat on one at IMS and while not a KLR650 it's much taller than I'm used to.
Wife wanted a '15 LT, she just bought a '13 leftover for $1600 less than cost!
Great bike. I rode it a tiny bit tonight. I want one now.
Quote:
Street Triple:
Pros: Everything I've read has nothing but good things to say about this bike.
Cons: Just as pricey as the Ducati but not as sexy
My buddy put 60,000 miles on his and loved it. Upright, standard position, plenty of power

Quote:
Hypermotard:
Pros: Looks like a ton of fun and awesome to look at
Cons: Expensive, and might be a bit too much of a step up from the 250.
Buddy replaced street triple with tiger. Added new hyper to stable in feb. I rode it during our trip at the beginning of the month. It's ridiculous. It forces you into a super moto riding position. You sit on top of the front wheel, can't see any bike in front of you really. Power is insane. 3rd gear power wheelies, plus some I'm sure, I rode it in rain mode...

He rode 2400 miles that week on our trip. Smiling the whole time, said it's a keeper. I got back and put my ninja up for Sale!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (185.7 KB, 5 views)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 09:40 PM   #15
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

The more I'm thinking about this the more I'm leaning towards the Ninja 1000.
ABS, Traction Control, power modes, looks comfy for a passenger, remote preload adjustment, and the option to add the quick-release saddlebags. Seems like an all-around better version of the Ninja 650 and more manageable power-wise than the Hypermotard.

I really want to like the Versys, but I'm just not in love with the looks of it.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:27 AM   #16
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
The more I'm thinking about this the more I'm leaning towards the Ninja 1000.
ABS, Traction Control, power modes, looks comfy for a passenger, remote preload adjustment, and the option to add the quick-release saddlebags. Seems like an all-around better version of the Ninja 650 and more manageable power-wise than the Hypermotard.

I really want to like the Versys, but I'm just not in love with the looks of it.
You won be dissappointed, look for a leftover since they can be had under 10g new. Also look around your area for a demo bike and take it out. I was able to take one for 2 hours with my g/f to see how she liked being a passenger on it (compared to the 250), its no BMW but weve done weekend trips on it without issue. i get 40mpg pretty religiously, but the insurance is high on it, not ZX-10 but not far off, so i would look into that to make sure its not a deal breaker for you.

Kawasakis website usually has a list of demo bikes in the area fyi.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:49 AM   #17
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

I'll have to run the insurance rates.

I can never seem to find any info on the demo days?

Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:59 AM   #18
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I've had a Hypermotard S and currently have a Street Triple R. They are not even in the same category and they are both lightyears different than the other two.

You're comparing apples to oranges to strawberries to bananas.

Ride them all and see which one you like best.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:57 AM   #19
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I've had a Hypermotard S and currently have a Street Triple R. They are not even in the same category and they are both lightyears different than the other two.

You're comparing apples to oranges to strawberries to bananas.

Ride them all and see which one you like best.
How are the HM and ST different in your experience? They seem pretty similar on paper.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:17 AM   #20
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Get the Street Triple. I've read so many good things about that bike I nearly bought one myself before I got my FZ07. I still might get one someday.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:59 PM   #21
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
How are the HM and ST different in your experience? They seem pretty similar on paper.
The Hyper is very, very refined. It is incredibly powerful and you have to be careful applying that power. The ergos are similar to the STR but the wheelbase seems (I haven't looked at the specs to see if it is or not) much shorter. It requires attention every step of the way and takes no prisoners when you are feeling lazy.

The STR is confidence inspiring. It feels larger and longer. You can ride it with a lazy attitude or flog it for all it's worth. The power is linear and gives no surprises. You just keep going and going.

I can get more technical if you prefer.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:33 AM   #22
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
The Hyper is very, very refined. It is incredibly powerful and you have to be careful applying that power. The ergos are similar to the STR but the wheelbase seems (I haven't looked at the specs to see if it is or not) much shorter. It requires attention every step of the way and takes no prisoners when you are feeling lazy.

The STR is confidence inspiring. It feels larger and longer. You can ride it with a lazy attitude or flog it for all it's worth. The power is linear and gives no surprises. You just keep going and going.

I can get more technical if you prefer.
That's very helpful, thanks. Any more info is much appreciated!

Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:38 AM   #23
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
It requires attention every step of the way and takes no prisoners when you are feeling lazy.

I went straight from the 250 to the ducati.....OMFG...that was a shock

Ride more, worry less.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:41 AM   #24
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
I went straight from the 250 to the ducati.....OMFG...that was a shock
It's rather terrifying.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:51 AM   #25
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Definitely doesn't sound like the best next step for me as an all-around bike. Probably a next-next step.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:59 AM   #26
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
it took me about 5 minutes to get comfortable with it,then I had a blast!~

Ride more, worry less.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM   #27
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

I'd go with Stripple - the best motorcycle I've ever tested, gentle but powerful, handles even better than Ninjette, especially R. Ninja 650 is meh, to be honest. Versys is very top heavy, I suspect it's for people who like to pretend they'll go on forest road one day, but never actually do.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 12:05 PM   #28
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
I'd go with Stripple - the best motorcycle I've ever tested, gentle but powerful, handles even better than Ninjette, especially R. Ninja 650 is meh, to be honest. Versys is very top heavy, I suspect it's for people who like to pretend they'll go on forest road one day, but never actually do.
I'm not sure about the two-up capability for the ST. Same applies to the HM. My wife doesn't like to ride on the back of the 250 except for short trips anymore. She'll ride the Vespa for medium trips but might want to hop on the back of mine for a longer haul.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:55 PM   #29
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

I went from my Ninja to a Street Triple R and I've never regretted it. The Ninja 650 was another I was considering at the same time, but the fact that it was another twin was what put me off. As someone else said, these bikes are all very different so I am not sure it's a straight comparison.

The Triple has a very linear power curve so doesn't surprise you too often, and I love the upright riding position. I've taken it to the track 3 times with the Triumph dealer, and it does well - our local dealer does Ducati, BMW and Triumph - so the majority of the bikes are some form of sport bike - those are all in a different class than the STR, but the STR is not a million miles behind.

I have a friend that had the last model Versys and he liked it well enough, but he didn't love it - a lack of soul is what he mentioned (he likes off the wall bikes though - he now has a Ural sidecar rig, and a Buell Ulysses).

If it was me choosing it would be between the Triumph and the Ducati. And then I'd end up buying an S1000R, just because.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:50 PM   #30
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

A bike is a very personal thing, however if I were making the decision for you you'd be getting a Street Triple R.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:10 PM   #31
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

One test ride with the Street Triple, and that's all she wrote for me. Ended up buying a new 2014 ST3R after a several months of searching for used. The motor is incredible, torque whenever you need it, but screams like a I4 when you give it the beans. Previously had a Honda F4i (which I loved, and would still have if my neighbor had not totaled it) and a Suzuki SV650 (appliance like, reliable but felt like a tractor after test riding the ST3R), after my Ninja 250. The ST3 is my daily commuter, and with slight mods can be a tourer or track rat (so I've read).

I've ridden a Versys, but it was too tall for me. Very upright position, comfy ride, but I was on one tippy toe at every stoplight (5'9" on a good day, with a shorter than normal inseam).
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:22 PM   #32
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Also, have you considered the new Honda 500s? They really do seem like a good step up from the Ninja 250/300. Fit and finish is impressive, from what I saw at the dealer. Between the 3 models, seems like you could find one that you prefer.
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #33
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Honda 500 is good; Fz07 is better; Triple is best
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #34
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

The Hondas look nice, but they just don't really move me at all.