ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 1st, 2014, 08:54 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Faster bits & bytes!

Yay!

If you have Comcast internet via cable modem, now would be a good day to reboot it.

link to the specifics

I went from 57 mbps to 120 mbps right after the reboot.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:19 PM   #2
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

No dice for me. I might fall into the Lodi category of users who got the shaft though. I'm ~5 miles south.

iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:21 PM   #3
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

That is on wireless 802.11g though. I really need to get at least an 802.11n AP.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think that's about the best real-world performance you'll ever see on Wireless-G, even if the cable modem was providing Gig-speed to your router.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 3rd, 2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Results from my place. Eat your hearts out yanks!
(well maybe not )
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:21 PM   #6
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Hmm, I have Commiecast, didn't notice a difference.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

What cable modem do you have? Did you pull the power on it and let it reboot? Here are the models that Comcast supports/recommends:

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I have a SB6120 from a few years back, which is working fine at that 120 mbps speed. Once they offer more than 150 or so, I will have to upgrade the modem to a SB6141 (which supports 8-channel bonding instead of the 4-channel bonding that the older models are limited to).

Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Results from my place. Eat your hearts out yanks!
(well maybe not )
What do you see when you run it at speedtest.ninjette.org? It looks like the mini test caps out at around 50 mbps, but it should be accurate up to there.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:02 PM   #9
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
My modem isn't supported it looks like. I have the Motorola SB5101U, got it awhile back though. I did do the whole reboot, of unplugging, etc. Looks like I need to upgrade.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yes, the 5101 is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, and will cap out at around 30 mbps no matter what. I'd suggest getting the SB6141. ($80 or so on Amazon). Supposedly, you just need to have your account number and comcast login, you plug in the new modem, which takes you to a page where you enter that information and you're up and running.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:49 PM   #11
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Yeah, realized I have outdated stuff. Already on the SB6141, should get it Wednesday. Next on the list is a new router, so I can benefit from the 802.11ac Wi-Fi connections. Thanks for the info.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:59 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

My wireless router is only N as well. Wifi to the mac laptop seems to max out at 47 mbps both before (when I was getting 57 wired), and is still capped at 47 when I'm seeing 120 mbps wired. But - I think this gen macbook air only has N anyway, and my work laptop is using a wired connection when home anyway, so I think I'll save the $ until I have some more Wifi AC devices.

Old August 4th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #13
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
I'm in the same boat, Macbook Air and only n connection. Won't bother updating the router until I get a new Macbook with a/c and or devices with a/c, etc. I'm waiting/hoping for retina displays on the Macbook Air's.

Old August 4th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #14
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What do you see when you run it at speedtest.ninjette.org? It looks like the mini test caps out at around 50 mbps, but it should be accurate up to there.
2.4 mbps (It's down a 'phone line, there is no cable here) Compared to dial-up it's paradise
You may be too young but some of us remember this fanfare to white on blue text and 3 minute image downloads

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 4th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I never had a 300 baud modem, but I certainly remember my 2400 baud one. (and then the 9600, 14.4, 28.8, 33.6, 56k, all eagerly upgraded to until our first "broadband" connection at 2 mbps sometime in the 2000 timeframe. I remember running a software router for the 56k connection to share the bandwidth among the several desktops and laptops we had at the time, with my wife and I yelling at eachother as our individual connections slowed to almost nothing when the other person was doing, well, anything.

With 2.4 mbps, do you end up still using any video services? Here are the recommended/required speeds for different Netflix qualities:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Quote:
Internet Connection Speed Recommendations

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

Old August 4th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #16
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I never had a 300 baud modem, but I certainly remember my 2400 baud one. (and then the 9600, 14.4, 28.8, 33.6, 56k, all eagerly upgraded to until our first "broadband" connection at 2 mbps sometime in the 2000 timeframe. I remember running a software router for the 56k connection to share the bandwidth among the several desktops and laptops we had at the time, with my wife and I yelling at eachother as our individual connections slowed to almost nothing when the other person was doing, well, anything.

With 2.4 mbps, do you end up still using any video services? Here are the recommended/required speeds for different Netflix qualities:

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306
I can watch YouTube movies fine and do all I need to at 2.4. The old dialup in my rural area was just awful. Even in 2005 Supposedly 56k it maxed at 14k and was often down to 3 or 4 k. you could make a sandwich waiting for an image to download and a pop video was (literally) a leave it overnight thing and hope the connection didn't drop.
Then again this ain't Manhattan,I read an interesting item that said that only a quarter of our village (pop.200) has an internet connection! I was a bit gobsmacked by that.

Old August 5th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #17
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Yay! Got new modem, noticed the difference.

Before it was like 30 something for download.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I ended up ordering a new Asus N wireless router, that friends swear will handle 100+ mbps over N wireless. It was only $80, vs. the $240 or so that the top-rated AC routers are going for now. Once I get an AC device or two, I'll consider upgrading at that point. The router was supposed to be here tonight, but it looks like an Amazon delivery glitch...

Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:51 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I updated to a SB6190 today, thinking that my modem was keeping me around 125-130 mbps from the 150 peak that the comcast plan is supposed to be rated at. The SB6190 has 32 channels it can bond downstream, and 8 upstream (compared to 4 up and 4 down on my 6120). I installed it, confirmed that it was successfully bonding to 16 channels, and it resulted in, well, 125 - 130 mbps. Exactly no change. Yay! Comcast does offer 250 mbps service, but it's an additional $70/mo, which just isn't worth it.

Old January 24th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #20
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Surely all the Russian Bride ads that are bannered on this forum are paying you enough you can afford the 70 bucks?!?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 24th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

That's funny, I only see ads for motorcycles. Must be tied to a user's google searches.

Old January 24th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #22
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
For anyone wanting a new router, the T-Mobile TM-AC1900 is simply a rebranded Asus RT-AC68U (dual-band radio, dual-core 800MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, 128MB flash). It has different logos on the case, and some tweaks to the software for their Wi-Fi calling features. Depending on how much time you want to put in, it's possible to switch to the Asus bootloader and firmware, making it 100% identical internally to a retail RT-AC68U. If you're a T-Mobile customer (or spend a few bucks to set up a prepaid account), you can buy it for $99, about half the price of the Asus. I was able to find one on eBay for a little bit more that saved me from having to deal with creating a new account that I would never use.

I'm very happy with it running Shibby Tomato. It has the vast majority of features found in any third-party firmware, but still looks like a professional product (I found DD-WRT to feel a lot more like a half-baked geek project, while only offering a few extra features I had absolutely no use for). If you like the Asus firmware's UI and special features, Asuswrt-Merlin is probably worth checking out.

But now the new 802.11ah "HaLow" standard is approved, so you may want to wait for that if you have a bunch of random devices you need to network (and ruin your ancient cordless phone's operation).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Bumple for new gadgetry. Moved to a wireless mesh system a few weeks back (Google Wifi), and have been extremely happy with the performance, reliability, ease of use, and functionality from the phone apps. 200+ mb/s for any of the wired devices, and some of the wireless devices when very close to one of the hubs. We're seeing a minimum of 100+ mb/s anywhere in the house, from one corner to the next. No glitches or stuttering no matter how many of the little monsters are streaming on any of their gadgets.