ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
marc_previtera
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): GPX250rII

Rubbers from the carb to the airbox

Hey folks,

Just did a small service on the gpx250 ( 88 model)

I changed the spark plugs, and ran a carby kit through the carbs, and cleaned everything up...

Everything back in place, and bike seems to be running great! - one small problem though

I wasn't able to get the rubbers to 100% seal from the carbs to the airbox...

having the stock standard airbox and filter, I boiled up the rubbers to make them more flexible, and still no luck - there's a visible gap in there I can see...

What I did notice was inside the rubbers connecting to the airbox end, there's these 2 little notches of rubber where I'm assuming the majority of airflow comes from....

I noticed that these rubbers dont seem to have been flared for hose clamp tightening either, so am working under the asumption that they dont need to be 100% sealed, rater as long as those 2 little notches are facing inside to the carb it will be ok?
marc_previtera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You want those to be sealed with the carbs. If they aren't, large quantities of unfiltered air will get passed into the carbs and the bike will run like crap because it will be running way lean. (ask me how... )
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
marc_previtera
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): GPX250rII

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You want those to be sealed with the carbs. If they aren't, large quantities of unfiltered air will get passed into the carbs and the bike will run like crap because it will be running way lean. (ask me how... )

Thanks Chris.. - yep understand unfiltered air can't be good, the bike seems to be performing well enough though - should thisb be happening if there's gap??

Also, would tyou think the easier option is to get rid of airbox and simply put some of those aftermarker airfilters on that hook direct up to the carbs?
marc_previtera is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well if it's running alright, it's most likely alright. Trust me, you would find a huge flat spot if it was as lean as the bike that I had issues getting the airbox boots attached to the carbs was. Can you take a picture of what it looks like? I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by
Quote:
there's a visible gap in there I can see
if it seems to be running ok

Are there grooves for spring clamps on those? There are spring clamps on mine and they really help the airbox boots seal on the carb intakes. You might want to look into getting those replaced if the bike is supposed to have those but doesn't.

If you're comfortable re-jetting the bike, general consensus is that a pod filter like this one makes carb removal loads easier, and gains a little top end power when properly jetted. Also, there's hose clamps on both flanges so you slip it on to the carbs, and then tighten it on with the hose clamps

Old January 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #5
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

I had this trouble a few months ago, rubbers go hard, and I tried for hours to get them on. Even tried taking them off the airbox and putting them on the carbs, then fitting to the airbox. Nothing worked, in the end I bought a new set from the Kawasaki shop, and they slipped straight on.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Huh..I thought I'd responded to this already. I always glue the rubbers back on. I run K&N pods, and after removing them several times to clean them, the rubber deforms and tightening the hose clamp makes them pop off. I use cyanoacrylate (super) glue to make them stay on (it's easily removable) ...but that won't help with sealing gaps. Some good old RTV silicone sealant will, on the other hand, do an excellent job of filling gaps. since .you only need the gaps filled and don't need the adhesive qualities, wipe a little wd40 or oil on the airbox so it won't bond to that and will be easily removable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
+1 for skippii with the brilliantly simple ideas that I never think of!!!