Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:46 PM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Weird things your body does

Post something weird your body does/has done before.

Sometimes when I lay on my back with any kind of pressure on my neck from a pillow, I can hear a little "fizzle" noise in my neck. I've been told it's my spinal fluids moving around because they're being pinched off from me laying there.

I can also produce a low rumbling noise with my ears. Only I can hear it. My girlfriend can do it too, but she's the only other person I know who can. If I put my ear up to hers, she can hear me do it and I can hear her do it. Kinda cool.

One more: I once took my spine out of alignment by popping my neck too much (I don't do that anymore). One of the vertebrae was out of place. I couldn't move my hand above my head. It was all messed up and I was concerned, thinking I should go to the hospital. My dad said it was fine, so I didn't. At the end of the day, I laid down on my back, and I felt it pop back into place. It was freaky and cool.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:21 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:40 PM   #3
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post

I can also produce a low rumbling noise with my ears. Only I can hear it. My girlfriend can do it too, but she's the only other person I know who can. If I put my ear up to hers, she can hear me do it and I can hear her do it. Kinda cool.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_tympani_muscle

I can do it too. I also do it when I'm popping an air hose loose, it prevents ringing in my ears later from the noise.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:52 PM   #4
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post

I can do it too. I also do it when I'm popping an air hose loose, it prevents ringing in my ears later from the noise.
Oh cool! I didn't know it had any practical use.

Ever hear of this? These people are extremely proud of their ear rumble abilities. Some of them are really arrogant:

https://www.reddit.com/r/earrumblersassemble/

Also, I think this is more common, but can anyone here pop their ears at will, without pinching your nostrils or yawning?

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:55 PM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Also, I think this is more common, but can anyone here pop their ears at will, without pinching your nostrils or yawning?
Yep. I can do it by moving my jaw. Useful skill sometimes. The road coming down to my city is high enough that I will often have to clear my ears a time or two coming down it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 3rd, 2016, 04:44 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Many, many, many scuba divers.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:19 PM   #7
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Yep. I can do it by moving my jaw. Useful skill sometimes. The road coming down to my city is high enough that I will often have to clear my ears a time or two coming down it.
That's cool; I hadn't done the fist thing described in the article before, but I can make the sound independently, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yup!

My weird thing is Exploding Head Syndrome. I "suffer" from both the auditory and visual incarnations, so sometimes when falling asleep, I'll either hear a very loud bang (sounds like a door being slammed to me) or see a bright flash that wakes me up.

Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:55 PM   #8
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Boils!
They are just plain disgusting!!!
I haven't had one in 20 years but there was a period of about 15 years when I would get them frequently and in the most bizarre places! It had nothing to do with me neglecting good hygiene; I shower (thoroughly) with soap & hot water at least once a day.
I had one very serious infection but a very funny and disgusting experience. I won't go into the finer details but it could be visualized as similar to giving birth and interesting enough that the emergency physician paged virtually every intern and training nurse to gather around and observe. There were probably 20 people adding to their education at the expense of my vanity!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #9
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Just the aches and pains of a hard life and years passing by.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #10
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Boils!
They are just plain disgusting!!!
I haven't had one in 20 years but there was a period of about 15 years when I would get them frequently and in the most bizarre places! It had nothing to do with me neglecting good hygiene; I shower (thoroughly) with soap & hot water at least once a day.
I had one very serious infection but a very funny and disgusting experience. I won't go into the finer details but it could be visualized as similar to giving birth and interesting enough that the emergency physician paged virtually every intern and training nurse to gather around and observe. There were probably 20 people adding to their education at the expense of my vanity!
Boils are pretty gross. They look extremely painful but they aren't. I've had a few before on the inside of my thigh. They're real gross and a bit harder to get rid of than most skin issues. due to the location, I thought it was some kind of STD at first. I showed my dad and he goes "That's a boil you jackass."

Old September 6th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #11
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
So can submariners in their sleep

Old September 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM   #12
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
So can submariners in their sleep
That's interesting! I was under the impression that modern subs (if not all!) interior environments were at approximately surface air pressure!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #13
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
That's interesting! I was under the impression that modern subs (if not all!) interior environments were at approximately surface air pressure!

Yeah, approximatly, but much like flying in air craft, even a small change in atmospheric pressure, if done quickly will make your ears feel "full" and you need to equalize.

we used to "pack air". A surface ventilate line up had air comming in the snorkle mast, through the blower room and out to the ends of the boat. the old air would then come back through the passageways to the sail and out the sail hatch. Run the blowers in that config for about 8 minutes and you have over turned the air on a 637 class sub 3x...

well at the end, they would shut the sail hatch, but leave the blower running and pack additional air into the sub. Normal atmospheric pressure is about 29.9 inches or 780 mmHg... we would be over 800 (most pitot barometers peg at 31 inches or about 800mmHg...) I've seen the needle wrapped around the pin.

Just to let you know, it had no, krikkkk, no , sttttdddd, no effect on me grrrrk, what so ever.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.....

Last futzed with by Rifleman; September 7th, 2016 at 04:31 PM.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 6th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
My dad was a bubble head

Old September 6th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #15
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Add me to the list of tympanic muscle flexing and the ear popping without intervention.

I'll add a freaky one to the list.

Sleep Paralysis

Basically your brain wakes up from sleeping but your body doesn't. You can't move, can't speak, can't open your eyes but you are fully aware of being awake and can hear normally.

It's happened to me probably a half dozen or so times in my life. The first two or three times it happened I had no idea what it was and scared the living daylights out of me.

I saw some show on Discovery/TLC/Nova that talked about it and since then it's a lot less frightening.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #16
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
I can pop my ears at will.

I can wiggle each ear individually, eye brows, etc. Excellent facial muscle control.

Move one eye at a time if they're crossed.

My sternum likes to pop if I stretch. Kind of an odd one.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #17
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Ooh, I just thought of another one; ocular migraines. I had my first and only one a little more than a year ago. I was on Skype with my now-fiancee when I noticed a small spot in my vision had gone gray. (This isn't really a good description as it wasn't actually gray, but more like there was absolutely no definition in that spot at all.) Over time, the spot grew into a ring that looked a quite a bit like the picture below.

It slowly expanded over time until it went outside my field of vision. The whole event lasted maybe twenty minutes. Evidently they're about as harmless as any other migraine (maybe less so because there was no pain at all), so I never even bothered seeing a physician about it.

Old September 6th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #18
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post
Add me to the list of tympanic muscle flexing and the ear popping without intervention.

Sleep Paralysis

Basically your brain wakes up from sleeping but your body doesn't. You can't move, can't speak, can't open your eyes but you are fully aware of being awake and can hear normally.

It's happened to me probably a half dozen or so times in my life. The first two or three times it happened I had no idea what it was and scared the living daylights out of me.

I saw some show on Discovery/TLC/Nova that talked about it and since then it's a lot less frightening.
oooh, I had that happen to me once years ago. I had smoked a good amount of weed the night before and figured it was the cause. Scary as hell for sure.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #19
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old September 6th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #20
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

No weed on my end.

The show I saw that talked about it did say that it is most likely the actual reason behind a lot of "alien abduction" stories. I could see it, your brain goes to some weird places in the few minutes that you are completely paralyzed but also coherent.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2016, 11:29 AM   #21
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post

Sleep Paralysis

I've had that happen. I also continued to dream with my eyes open, so I saw a ton of spiders fall out a hole in my ceiling and crawl all over me. It's interesting how sleeping on your back tends to cause this more, and how when you get little itches before sleeping, that's just part of your nervous system going "hey, you asleep yet?" It's really cool to see how this stuff works.

Anyone here sleepwalk? I do it occasionally, but I rarely leave my room. I normally just get up and change clothes or something. It's weird when I go to bed buck nekkid and wake up wearing dockers and a button-up.

Old September 7th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #22
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I have slept walk... Used too a lot, you'd have to ask my dog if I still do

Old September 7th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #23
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
It slowly expanded over time until it went outside my field of vision. The whole event lasted maybe twenty minutes. Evidently they're about as harmless as any other migraine (maybe less so because there was no pain at all), so I never even bothered seeing a physician about it.
I've had a couple of those in my life just as you described, and they always followed my drinking of a diet soda that contained aspartame. I no longer drink that stuff. But it's a real migraine. If it happens again, see if you notice a feeling in one side of your brain like it's stuffed with cotton. I get that, and feel slightly but noticeably tired and slightly queasy for a day or more.

Now that I read the labels on all drinks, and avoid the ones with aspartame, it's been 15 years since I had a migraine. Obviously I can't prove aspartame was the cause, but it sure seems that way.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
If I drink a soda it will have real sugar in it... I don't trust some made up stuff somebody just said yea it's sweet let's put it in everything

Old September 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #25
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I drink soda with extreme moderation anyway, so I tend to drink soda with either HFCS or actual sugar in it. Besides, a Jack and Diet Coke is kinda nasty.

Old September 7th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #26
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

I sleepwalk as well, but it's usually more like sleepgetupturnthelightsonandstandthere. My fiancee hates it when I do that.

I haven't had another migraine after that one and I haven't changed any habits, so I'm not sure what triggered it. It's a good thing it's not aspartame, because I'm pretty sure my blood is 80% diet soda (one of my worst habits.)

Old September 7th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #27
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
We used to have bells on our doorknobs downstairs so my parents could catch me before I got too far out of the house.

Old September 7th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #28
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
It's a good thing it's not aspartame, because I'm pretty sure my blood is 80% diet soda (one of my worst habits.)
You can find diet sodas without aspartame. Coke has one, and so does Pepsi. There are others as well.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #29
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Just remembered another one. Does anyone else here get nosebleeds if they sleep with a fan pointed at their face? It dries out my nose and I wake up .2 seconds before my nose drips blood.

Old September 27th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #30
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
sometimes i get sticky poops and have to shower after, so now i plan my shower after my poops.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 06:21 AM   #31
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Feeling of falling for a couple of seconds while lying in bed. A couple of times, woke in the middle of the night looked at the clock, then all of a sudden I was sure I was falling. Braced myself for a hard landing then realized I was still lying in bed.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #32
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '89 Ninja 250 (#3650)

I can dislocate my jaw and pop it back in with little force
Tango89er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #33
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

Anyone here sleepwalk? I do it occasionally, but I rarely leave my room. I normally just get up and change clothes or something. It's weird when I go to bed buck nekkid and wake up wearing dockers and a button-up.
I used to sleep walk as a kid. Haven't, to my knowledge, in many years.

But once way back when the wife and I were first married she said she woke up to me holding her face between my hands and kind of adjusting her head on the pillow. I laid back down and she sat up just as I spun around and smashed my fist into the pillow where her head had just been. She said I laid back down and went to sleep. She spent the rest of the night sitting there watching me.

Old September 28th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #34
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
sometimes i get sticky poops and have to shower after, so now i plan my shower after my poops.
I get those too and I get 'em a lot because I eat a lot of fiber so a shower isn't really option in the desert land of California. Here's my remedy:

Spoiler for Talks about poop in detail:
After you're done pooping, push a little more, hold it, and as you go to wipe, push down on the area above your butthole. This forces that last little sticky crayon of poo out, leaving your butt cleaner. Then, if your bathroom puts you within an arms reach of a sink or the shower, wet your TP before wiping then dry it with dry after. Wax on, wax off, until you're all done. Use a baby wipe if you're extra concerned, but throw it in the trash. When you flush those, they mess up the city's plumbing and they gotta go down there and de-babywipe the area when they build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango89er View Post
Does it make a loud pop? My older brother can do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I used to sleep walk as a kid. Haven't, to my knowledge, in many years.

But once way back when the wife and I were first married she said she woke up to me holding her face between my hands and kind of adjusting her head on the pillow. I laid back down and she sat up just as I spun around and smashed my fist into the pillow where her head had just been. She said I laid back down and went to sleep. She spent the rest of the night sitting there watching me.
One time my brother told me that he had a dream that he was pulling a red wire out of his cell phone with a pair of pliers while sitting on his bed. He was relieved to find that he didn't break his phone in his sleep, but he did find his video game controller with the cord ripped out. Apparently, he'd gotten up, gone to his drawer, used his multitool to tear the wires out, then put the multitool back, and gone back to bed, thinking it was his cell-phone, for some unknown dream-reason.

Old September 28th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #35
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
you didn't notice my location did you? Im in the middle of the desert.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #36
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango89er View Post
That could come in handy if Bruce is much bigger than normal.