ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Gear Shift issue

Hello all,

Background: It's an 08, now at about 85xx kms. Just changed oil with Motul 5100 semi-synthetic and oil has been changed frequently. Have the aftermarket the2wheels levers on. Chain is lubed and waxed every 600-750kms. Everything else is functioning fine.

Problem: 3-4 days ago, I noticed that it is hard to put the bike in neutral. It shifts fine when the bike is moving but when slowed and even at stop. It's hard to put it in neutral. Before, I'd be rolling to a stop into my garage and still shifted into neutral...now...that's impossible.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Side note: I noticed the problem after the bike was washed, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks in advance to all
ride2rideagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Have you lubricated the whole shifter mechanism?

Can you verify if any water has penetrated the crankcase, making the oil milky?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
ride2rideagain
total N00B

I did the oil change after the problem started hoping the new oil will fix the issue....and it was time anyways. The oil was fine, just the usual dirt and grime...as to lubricating the shifter mechanism, any DIYs or tips...not sure how to do that.

Old March 21st, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Bump

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:34 AM   #5
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Name: vibhor

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r -2010

i think some problem with the positive neutral finder... please check in the service manual for any solution to PNF problem.
vkuchhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:51 AM   #6
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

my bike has the same problem. i call it "ghost neutral"

my bike is brand new 2012 with 300kms
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2rideagain View Post
...as to lubricating the shifter mechanism, any DIYs or tips...not sure how to do that.
I referred to the exterior mechanism that transfers the movement from your feet to the selection shaft.
It has two ball joints and the lever bushing, all of which need to be lubricated periodically.

My idea is that after the bike was washed, some water intrusion could have made a bad lubrication condition of those parts even worse, making the selection of Neutral (which requires a more delicate input) more difficult.

Detaching the lever from the frame via the Allen bolt, you will have access to clean and lubricate that bushing-bolt.
Pulling back the rubber boots from over the two ball joints, you can lubricate those either with grease or gear oil.

Sorry for the late response.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #8
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Thanks to everyone that has responded.

The issue seems to be with the clutch cable...not sure though. Everything else is fine, I shall try tightening the cable free play from the bottom and see if that helps.

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Did you find a solution? I'm currently having this issue.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #10
lindasninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Linda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250J

Check the oil?

Don’t know if this will be helpful but I’m new to riding, with a new bike, and had it serviced by the dealer, at the 1000km mark. But thinking they are the experts, it took me a few days to realize they had added about 200ml too much oil!
Found it wouldn’t go back to natural after going for a decent ride, was the first issue I had and would sometimes miss gears, and running hotter than normal, not shutting off, but hotter, no temp gage just self-destruct light, and luckily I didn’t get to that stage!
I also find it hard to check the oil, or I would have noticed it earlier, rather than when checking and thinking, yep I have oil! Have since learnt that a brick the right size under the stand works so I only have to lift it a bit to level it, helps!
Another way to identify if this problem is, by checking the air filter, if it is nice and oiled, dripping probably got to much oil! Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! Anyone, but that’s how I diagnosed too much oil! Extracted the extra out with a syringe and very small tube, next time I will be making sure it’s not overfilled because taking the oil out is a crap job! Wasn’t game to take the sump of!!
lindasninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
ride2rideagain
total N00B

Hey, thanks for everyone that helped, my issue was with the clutch cable as I expected....it was shredding from the top near the clutch lever. Replaced the cable and I am all set.

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #12
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

i have the same problem... when engine warms up, it is very hard to put it in neutral.. will check clutch cable
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Greyfox
ninjette.org member

Name: Warren

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If you find it hard to go back to NEUTRAL just release the clutch a bit so it will grip lightly ... then press .... and shift to neutral as you normally would
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #14
thebozenator
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250R

I remember a mechanic friend of mine saying (A long time ago) that this kind of thing is normal for motorcycle clutches. Something about how they are designed makes them shift better while moving. I cant really verify this at the moment but I thought id share.

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Greyfox
ninjette.org member

Name: Warren

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebozenator View Post
I remember a mechanic friend of mine saying (A long time ago) that this kind of thing is normal for motorcycle clutches. Something about how they are designed makes them shift better while moving. I cant really verify this at the moment but I thought id share.
I think you are correct ... the design is biased for better performance while moving, not shifting while the motorbike is stationary
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote