ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old July 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Moto-fizz clock/thermometer & GPS

Here's a pic of what the dash looked like on our '04 Ninjette:

On the left we had a Garmin GPSMAP60C GPS, using a RAM-mount to keep it on the bars. On the right we put on another one of those moto-fizz clock/thermometers. The angle wasn't quite right so it wasn't as easy to see as it could be.

To power the GPS, I plugged into the accessory power line that Kawasaki was nice enough to put up front near the rest of the wiring harness. They left that feature out of the '08 version, unfortunately, but the Gen 1 ninjettes have two fused accessory lines; one in front and one underneath the right side fairing.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #2
247Blackout
*vroom vroom*

Name: Jnet

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
To power the GPS, I plugged into the accessory power line that Kawasaki was nice enough to put up front near the rest of the wiring harness. They left that feature out of the '08 version, unfortunately, but the Gen 1 ninjettes have two fused accessory lines; one in front and one underneath the right side fairing.
Omg accessory line where?! How does it work?

I've only been on the board for 20 mintues and I feel like I have to re-learn everything about my bike. Thanks for the enlightenment.
247Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247Blackout View Post
Omg accessory line where?! How does it work?
I felt the same way when I saw that line for the first time. Most larger bikes don't come with that feature, but back when the 1st gen ninjette's electrical system was designed, I guess it was more of a common feature.

Anyway, look down past the bars and behind the fairing toward the front wheel, and you'll see the main wiring harness. If you look at it closely, you'll likely see two bare leads that don't seem to be connected to anything. That's the accessory line. One is positive, one is negative, and you just need to find a way to hook it to whatever you want to power with it. The GPS power cables for bikes typically come with just 2 bare wire ends, so it's a piece of cake. You can go to a hardware store to find the same matching spade connecters, hook the spade connectors together in some way. Or, you can just strip the accessory lines, twist the wires from it to your power cables and use one of those electrical cap things to twist them and keep them together.

There's another accessory line if you pull off the right side fairing (underneath the seat on the side, not the front fairing), it's just sitting right underneath it.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4
247Blackout
*vroom vroom*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
One is positive, one is negative, and you just need to find a way to hook it to whatever you want to power with it.
So I found the plugs, a lot easier than I thought it would be. One black and white, and one yellow and black. Now my question is.....which is which (+,-)?

Unfortunately my GPS isn't motorcycle specific, so I don't have any bare wires to connect it to the bike. I'm going to go check out Kragen today to look for the car charger type plug to hook up to my bike....if possible. If I recall correctly, someone said they hooked up a phone charger mod to their bike so I hope this works.

And sadly, RAM doesn't make a mount for my GPS either....

Old August 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Based on those two color codes, I'd only be guessing at which one is positive. Red is positive, black is negative, is the extent of my color=polarity knowledge. I think I just tested it first one way and then the other way and saw which one powered the GPS on before I finalized the wiring.

Are you planning to use the cigarette lighter adapter for your gps? If your GPS doesn't take 12-volt power natively, that may be the only way to go. There may be a small transformer in that adapter that is taking the 12-volts down to whatever the GPS needs. Most Garmin GPS's made for vehicles run 12-volts natively, so you can hook them right up using bare wires without trouble.

The issue with installing a cigarette lighter socket to those wires, then plugging your cigarette lighter adapter cable into it, then running that to your GPS, is that there are now several connections that can fail over time, and a typical cigarette lighter adapter isn't particularly vibration-resistant. That doesn't make it a deal-breaker, just know going into it that the connection may require some tweaking from time to time.

Which model GPS are you using?

Old August 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #6
247Blackout
*vroom vroom*

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox...and it comes with a car charger so that's why I figured I try and use the power outlet. The one I bought from Kragen today looks like this. So I'm going to try and make it work. Thanks for the tip on the bad things to look out for with multiple connections. I don't plan to make this a permanent feature on my bike at the moment, so this is more like a quick temporary but secure mount in order to have a GPS for my long ride this weekend.

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Hi 247 -

How did the weekend trip go, did the GPS hookup work out?

Old December 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM   #8
247Blackout
*vroom vroom*

Late response, but when I actually got around to testing the accessory plugs, there was no electricity running through them. I ended up zip-tying the mounting faceplate onto my ninja which worked out pretty well. Since I had no power to the gps, I just made sure it was fully charged and used it for the first stretch of my trip, which was done solo, and made sure not to rely on it unless I really had to.

Bike was fully loaded down with tank, tail and saddle bags.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (67.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (75.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P8290377.jpg (99.5 KB, 18 views)

Old December 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I believe there is a fuse for them, so it's possible that fuse gave up the ghost for some reason. Glad it worked out anyway! Your bike looks great BTW, all loaded up with luggage and ready for an adventure...

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #10
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247Blackout View Post
So I found the plugs, a lot easier than I thought it would be. One black and white, and one yellow and black. Now my question is.....which is which (+,-)?
It's been nearly a year since this post, so you've probably figured it out, but I figured I'd answer. According to the super useful service manual (and confirmed by me) black/yellow is positive, black/gray is negative.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote