ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #1
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Where can i get replacement keys?

So im the second owner of my 250 and there is no warranty or anything; i'm not even sure what dealer it was bought at. However, the problem is i snapped one of my keys in half and i was just wondering where i'd be able to get a new key? Would any powersports dealer be able to get me a new one?
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You can go to a kawasaki dealer, bring your registration and ID, get the key code off your bike and order one. They run $25 but IMO it seems easier than the process you have to go through to have a key cut locally
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

If you have an unbroken copy of the key, then just take it to a Lock&Key place, around here it'll run like 6 or 7 bucks, and a snazzy keytopper is like .50

However, if you don't have a working copy of the key, then I hope you have a trailer... You should do as jiggles says and go to a kawasaki dealer in hopes that you'll get someone nice
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #4
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbpf View Post
If you have an unbroken copy of the key, then just take it to a Lock&Key place, around here it'll run like 6 or 7 bucks, and a snazzy keytopper is like .50
thanks, ill do this.

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Most places are not equipped to cut kawasaki keys so you have to order special blanks but then many people will not cut a blank that you bring in because they don't know what its made of and don't want to damage their machines and really its just easier to order an OEM copy
AFM #676

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #6
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Most places are not equipped to cut keys so you have to order special blanks but then many people will not cut a blank that you bring in because they don't know what its made of and don't want to damage their machines and really its just easier to order an OEM copy
there is a key cutter and locksmith in about 10 minutes from my house, so i'll try him first, if he can't do it i'll go oem

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

What gen? Though it doesn't really matter. Two ways most common. First, take the broken key pieces to a locksmith and they can cut you a new one. It will cost a bit more than a plain duplicate because the locksmith will have to some measurements on the old key to work out the new cut. That will probably be the cheapest and quickest way.

Second way is to get a "code" key cut. A code key is made by looking up the VIN in a special book and getting the cut code, or alternatively by looking up the code stamped on several of the locks on the bike. These locks are generally installed such that the code isn't visible without taking parts off the bike, and generally speaking it will require a working key to get the lock off the bike to get the lock code.

Kawasaki sold the latter code books (that use the code on the lock) to both dealers and independent locksmiths, not all bought them or bought all years of them, so you'll have to call around to find someone who has one for your year. They're different for each year, obviously.

A third, probably costliest, option is to get the bike to a locksmith who can pick one of the locks (tank is easiest but doesn't have all the wafers) or seat lock, disassemble the lock, then make a key to fit it. First choice is the first option, assuming you didn't just throw the pieces away.

If it's a pregen the codes are stamped on the ignition, seat, and IIRC helmet lock, in the form of Z5XXX, where the X's are numbers 000-999. Yes, only 1,000 possible combinations, not all of which will be used for various reasons having to do with the way a key is cut. As an example, I got the seat lock off of one of my bikes and took the Z-code to my favorite local locksmith, he looked it up in the book he'd bought for my year and cut me a perfect key.

In actuality, if you're halfway mechanical you could cut your own key.

Info on key blanks your locksmith will find helpful (if it's a pregen, that is) http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX250F_key_blanks

The key dimension info, again assuming it's a pregen: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=841726#841726

Edit to add, just looked at your profile, it appears you have a newgen, d'oh! However, the basic concepts still apply. I haven't gotten ahold of a newgen lockset yet to do an article on.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #8
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Why do people wait until they break the only key they have to think about making spares? lel I got a couple of blanks on ebay for like $5 and had them cut for another $10.

There's a saying where im from that translates to something live "Prevent in place of lament"

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #9
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by edxmon View Post
There's a saying where im from that translates to something live "Prevent in place of lament"
I usually go with "fail to prepare, prepare to fail."
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Read the code right on the side of the frame by your ignition key. Call www.hillbillycycle.com in WV. Give them code and your credit card. Receive key in mail. Profit.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #11
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Why do people wait until they break the only key they have to think about making spares? lel I got a couple of blanks on ebay for like $5 and had them cut for another $10.

lol...i have another key...i broke one of the two that i had, therefore i am using the good one and in the meantime, replacing the broken one.

Old August 9th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #12
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
lol...i have another key...i broke one of the two that i had, therefore i am using the good one and in the meantime, replacing the broken one.
so then just go to a mom and pop key place and have them make copies, why would you go to a stealership, unless you enjoy overpaying for something?

Old August 9th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #13
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
so then just go to a mom and pop key place and have them make copies, why would you go to a stealership, unless you enjoy overpaying for something?
I already stated i'd do this. How're you so behind on such a short thread?

Quote:
there is a key cutter and locksmith in about 10 minutes from my house, so i'll try him first, if he can't do it i'll go oem

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #14
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I already stated i'd do this. How're you so behind on such a short thread?
Don't know, maybe I just can't fathom some one not realizing this immediately while typing the first post, and then not having made a thread at all

Logical regression isn't my cup of tea

Old August 9th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #15
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Don't know, maybe I just can't fathom some one not realizing this immediately while typing the first post, and then not having made a thread at all

Logical regression isn't my cup of tea
Hey, there could've been a transponder. I'm not fully educated on my ninja 250 key engineering. So in that case, a local key cutter would not be able to replicate that.

Old August 9th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Have you tried getting your key cut locally? Most places won't do it
AFM #676

Old August 9th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #17
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Have you tried getting your key cut locally? Most places won't do it
I actually did get mine cut localy (I said so a few posts up). Guy just did it like it was any other key. Wasn't aware it was an issue to some keymakers

Old August 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I tried 3 different places and none of them had the blanks nor would accept blanks I brought in. So I just went to a Kawi dealer, overpaid $25 for them but so much less of a hassle
AFM #676

Old August 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #19
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I tried 3 different places and none of them had the blanks nor would accept blanks I brought in. So I just went to a Kawi dealer, overpaid $25 for them but so much less of a hassle
Weird, I only bought the OEM key blanks on ebay because they look cooler. I just went and handed them the blanks and the master, usually they give you those generic ones with no rubber cover. Maybe they just want to rip people off and sell them their own blanks some times?

for any one interested (key blanks):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-X-BLANK-UN...01ccfd&vxp=mtr

Old August 9th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
No it has to do with how expensive key making equipment is. If they tried to make a key from a blank of the wrong material it could end up being extremely expensive to repair the machine. You found a place that accepted them but I don't think that is typical, at least where I live
AFM #676

Old August 9th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #21
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
No it has to do with how expensive key making equipment is. If they tried to make a key from a blank of the wrong material it could end up being extremely expensive to repair the machine. You found a place that accepted them but I don't think that is typical, at least where I live
This has been debunked. All Kawi keys are brass, nobody makes steel or other hard blanks because keys made of those would quickly wreck the lock internals. If a locksmith isn't wanting to mess with it then move along to a friendlier locksmith.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote