ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Rinzler83
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FJR1300; 2001 Suzuki SV650

Pregen vs. Newgen: Which is the better race bike?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a first track bike. I've been doing a lot of research on both the pregen and the newgen and can't decide which is the better track bike.

I'm looking to do track days this year, and go racing next year. I'm a tall guy (6'2) and am shedding some weight for 250 racing. (Right now I'm 238, I won't go racing until I hit 190. In August 2008, I was 335 or so).

So far, here's what I've found:

Pregen
+Slightly more top end
+Lighter
+Better frame (?)
-16" wheels (I know the upgrade is possible with a kit, but not sure if I can stay within WERA/MotoSeries class rules)

Newgen (I've sat on both a fit the newgen much better)
+Better midrange
+MUCH better aftermarket support (race bodywork, exhaust, etc.)
+17" wheels (tire selection)
-Much heavier dry weight (+20 lbs)

The aftermarket support doesn't matter as much to me right now. I'm focused right now on becoming a better rider. When I get the point where upgrades will help, I'll invest in them.

Let me know if I'm way off base on my assessment.
Rinzler83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I say newgen.

What makes a 250 fast? Cornering speed.
What's important for cornering speed and confidence? Good tires.

You can get more power out of a newgen with an exhaust than a pregen. See Area P's dyno charts for proof.

Since it's track only, you can strip it down to compensate for that weight disadvantage a little.

Not sure where you read that the pregen frame was better?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Rinzler83
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FJR1300; 2001 Suzuki SV650

I don't remember exactly where I saw that. It was a thread in a forum (not sure if it was this one) about putting 17" wheels on a pregen. Someone had commented that the pregen frame was better (didn't say how). Looking at the microfiche images side by side, there are differences, but no apparent major ones. (Someone who understands frames better than I do please feel free to correct me).

I was thinking I could gain the weight and top end difference back with mods, but I wanted to ask those who have raced either version (or both). I had been leaning toward a pregen because of its lower resale price. That said, I realize I need the best bike for my frame and riding skills/style, not just the cheapest.

Plus I read that thread about putting the GSXR 600 shock on a newgen. That would be great for track days. When I go racing, I'll invest in a RaceTech G3-S.
Rinzler83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The new-gen frame was supposed to be stiffer than the pre-gen frame (and somewhat heavier). The 300 frame was supposed to be 150% stiffer than the new-gen frame.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote