Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Taking Someone's Keys..

I have a buddy who I don't know very well who also rides a Ninja 250 and I am concerned about his riding... He is riding high, drunk, doing stupid s*** with his bike on the highway and he is not an experienced rider. He's doing other high-risk stuff and exhibiting a lot of manic behavior but again, I don't know him well and I don't know what to do about this, if anything. People are gonna do what they are gonna do... And I don't know where he lives and obviously don't have physical access to his keys... I'd take em though... I did mention that his risky bike behavior involves people other than himself and if he were to crash with a car because of reckless riding and get killed, the car driver's life would probably be f***ed up forever. He seemed to think about that for a sec but I don't think he'll change.

Anyway, it sparked this question in my mind.

Have any of you ever taken someone's bike keys because you thought they were going to ride in an unsafe way? Drunk, high, angry, upset, acting weird? If you suspected that someone was going to ride this way, would you take their keys from them? How well would you have to know them? How would you deal with their reaction? What would it take for you to do this, would you try rationalizing first?

When I know people are riding unsafely it really bothers me... Clearly this particular person has an underlying issue that has nothing to do with bikes and manifests itself in his riding but I'm also talking about just someone who is drunk at a party or something. Anyway, what are your thoughts??
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

ive done it before, it never ends well. but if they ever get sober they will eventually thank you.

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
I guess in a way I'm a very cold hearted person so I'd say "Oh well shits going to happen and only the strong and smart will survive" other peoples resulted consequences do to poor decisions mean nothing to me. On the other hand I wouldn't ever be friend or even consider someone as you describe as an acquaintance so I doubt I'll ever run into your problem.

Something your learn over and over again through life if your a kind person is you can't help people who don't want to be helped, and getting someone like that to open their eyes is rare.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I guess in a way I'm a very cold hearted person so I'd say "Oh well shits going to happen and only the strong and smart will survive" other peoples resulted consequences do to poor decisions mean nothing to me. On the other hand I wouldn't ever be friend or even consider someone as you describe as an acquaintance so I doubt I'll ever run into your problem.

Something your learn over and over again through life if your a kind person is you can't help people who don't want to be helped, and getting someone like that to open their eyes is rare.
10000% agree with this. As you mentioned, you dont really know the guy all that well...and hes clearly off. Id let him be, no need to put yourself in a position to deal with his nonsense/BS when something eventually happens.

but then again, i'm an asshole.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I told him what I think about what he is doing and I am staying well away from him from now on. He might get a Darwin award.

If one of my good friends was about to get on their bike and I knew they were drunk or even tipsy yeah I would take their keys... I'd get a lot of crap from them for it but I'd give myself a lifetime of crap if I could have done something but didn't and something were to happen to them.

Still interested in theoretical situations not only mine (which I am now done with anyway).
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ignoring the moron you don't know well at all (which if I saw him get on/in any vehicle would probably prompt me to call the cops and report a drunk driver), I'll answer the second part.

*if* it was someone I knew very well and through a series of bad events they found themselves in such a position. I wouldn't hesitate to take their keys. If I had my truck, I'd take them home right then and I'd recruit anyone I could to help me throw their ass into the back of the truck if necessary. If I was on the bike, I'd call a cab and go home with them before having the cab bring me back for my bike (and I'd probably be a dick and have their bike towed - nice knowing a tow truck driver).

However, I refuse to associate that closely with anyone who routinely gets that drunk (or name your poison). I'm okay bailing out a bud during extreme stress when life tramples all over them but I will not make a habit of it. The one and only time I've actually had to help someone, their actions before during and after seriously readjusted my association with them.

Thankfully, I've never been placed into that position for a close friend of mine. I choose my friends carefully.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #7
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
In general, I don't really keep myself in the company of people who habitually behave like that. We just wouldn't ever get along as I don't like partying or babysitting those who party too hard. That being said, I won't let a good friend drive off before I believe they're sober enough, but in past situations, that's usually only about an hour or two.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
.............When I know people are riding unsafely it really bothers me... Clearly this particular person has an underlying issue that has nothing to do with bikes and manifests itself in his riding but I'm also talking about just someone who is drunk at a party or something. Anyway, what are your thoughts??
You have a warm heart, Katie !!!

Being a technical guy, I would disable the bike in a way that the impaired person couldn't fix immediately: deflating tires, removing vacuum hoses, disconnecting spark coils and plugs, disconnecting safety switches, etc.

When initiating the second half of the last century, it took me only two times of deflating his four tires to convince a drunk neighbor to park his car somewhere else rather than blocking my narrow access to the street.
He knew I was the offender, but he chose not to confront me.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #9
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
I have a buddy who I don't know very well who also rides a Ninja 250 and I am concerned about his riding... He is riding high, drunk, doing stupid s*** with his bike on the highway and he is not an experienced rider. He's doing other high-risk stuff and exhibiting a lot of manic behavior but again, I don't know him well and I don't know what to do about this, if anything. People are gonna do what they are gonna do... And I don't know where he lives and obviously don't have physical access to his keys... I'd take em though... I did mention that his risky bike behavior involves people other than himself and if he were to crash with a car because of reckless riding and get killed, the car driver's life would probably be f***ed up forever. He seemed to think about that for a sec but I don't think he'll change.

Anyway, it sparked this question in my mind.

Have any of you ever taken someone's bike keys because you thought they were going to ride in an unsafe way? Drunk, high, angry, upset, acting weird? If you suspected that someone was going to ride this way, would you take their keys from them? How well would you have to know them? How would you deal with their reaction? What would it take for you to do this, would you try rationalizing first?

When I know people are riding unsafely it really bothers me... Clearly this particular person has an underlying issue that has nothing to do with bikes and manifests itself in his riding but I'm also talking about just someone who is drunk at a party or something. Anyway, what are your thoughts??
My personal feeling on the matter is that motorcycling is an inherently dangerous activity, and it's not my place to decide how much danger someone else is allowed to expose himself (or herself) to. So, I would not simply confiscate someone's keys to keep them from riding at any point in the future.

Now, if they were immediately about to get on their bike drunk or high, or in a fit of rage or something, I'd probably be willing to step in if it was a close friend or family member. I don't know anyone this irresponsible, though, so I've never actually had to do it.

In your situation, I think I'd try to find someone this person would listen to, and tell them how worried you are. Chances are, you're not the only person who's concerned about this guy, and while he may not listen to you, being merely an acquaintance, he might listen to someone closer to him, say, his mother or girlfriend.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Rugby Winger
ninjette.org member

Name: Roderick

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Let natural selection run its course.
Rugby Winger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #11
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
I have a buddy who I don't know very well
This sentence is kind of an oxymoron, no?

Quote:
I guess in a way I'm a very cold hearted person so I'd say "Oh well shits going to happen and only the strong and smart will survive"
Darwinism isn't a philosophy, it's a fact of life
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
people have their own lives. if someone is doing something that bothers you, offer them an easy alternative or stop caring. guy wants to ride drunk? tell him you'll give him and his bike a ride home in your truck. don't have a truck? convince your friend with a truck to take one for the team. noone with a truck? get him so drunk he passes out. there is always an easier way than directly confronting someone who is obviously not in a state of mind to be logical.

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #13
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

I am in my late 30's now but here is something a teacher in High School told us that has stuck in my mind through all these years. I can't remember the exact words but hopefully you will get the point: "Its not the idiot whose keys you are taking, its the innocent life they would have killed that you are trying to save!"

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've taken keys from friends who are drunk and walked/driven them home. I've gotten my butt out of a warm bed at 3:00 in the morning because my friends were dumb enough to drive somewhere but smart enough not to drive home and called me. I'd rather lose 45 minutes of sleep than have friends die.

For someone I don't know well, I'm not so sure.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #15
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:

I agree with this. At 31, I have eventually learned not to associate anyone that does bad behavior or is a negative influence in my life....even if it's an old friend.

My concern is that this person's wreckless behavior will harm others. Maybe next time you see him, get his licence plate number and report his riding habits to the cops. Maybe they can do something as extreme as suspending his licence.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #16
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I think motofools answer is kind of ingenious.

I'm only 18 so I lack the life experience most of you brilliant people have. I choose not to drink or smoke illegal substances at this point in my life and would never for any reason do any sort of hard drug. I've made a vow to never ride after consuming any amount of alcohol or whatever, which is why I don't party. How am I going to get home if I ride there? I wouldn't drive drunk either, but I rarely ever take a car. I have a newer friend who rides, we're not super close but we ride together every now and then and go watch the sumo races at the kart track, but he drinks and rides and I didn't really know what to do about that. He's 25 though so I figured I'd just let him do what he's gonna do, though I've made it very clear that I have no intent to drink and operate a vehicle and very little interest in alcohol at all as sort of a way to get a hint across.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

You have a caring heart. That's cool.

Rexbo and I worry for Trailerboy (Max) as well...cuz he crashes way too much. Rex and I plan on removing his wheels come September (race weekend).

Old September 1st, 2013, 09:20 AM   #18
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
I am in my late 30's now but here is something a teacher in High School told us that has stuck in my mind through all these years. I can't remember the exact words but hopefully you will get the point: "Its not the idiot whose keys you are taking, its the innocent life they would have killed that you are trying to save!"
Agree, 1000%

He doesn't seem to care, or just thinks he's invincible. Think more about his family and friends that would have to deal with the loss, or at best having to visit him in jail. Maybe remind him that his irresponsibility will affect so many others. I doubt his "habits" are limited to 2 wheels. As a former firefighter one of my worst experiences was a drunk driving accident where the driver was walking around and talking, apparently ok. Unfortionately too drunk to recall he had a friend in the car with him, a friend that didn't make it out. Life = over for that young kid.

In the end we make our own choices and if he won't listen to reason, I suggest you bail before bad things happen. You don't want to live your life feeling like you could've made a difference but chose not to. Good luck with your uncomfortable situation and good on you for having the moral fortitude to consider this!
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM   #19
grnninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Bhooshan

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

I go to large group rides to make riding buddies, if i don't like the way they ride my friends and i don't invite them along.
My opinion make good friends with a handful of like minded riders and go for rides with them, no need to worry about morons killing themselves.
Lets face it, even if natural selection took it's course would you really want it to be when you are around the guy?
Also, would be a lot more enjoyable when you ride with like minded riders.
grnninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:36 AM   #20
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I agree with disabling the bike, taking keys, call for extra help... etc. What ever it takes to keep them of the street. They could kill an innocent person.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2013, 11:17 AM   #21
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Cest la vie, I take a laissez-faire attitude, let them make their own mistakes as long as it isn't endangering others.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2013, 02:00 PM   #22
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I never have but it sounds like you should do it before things get even more out of hand.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote