ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old February 16th, 2023, 03:33 PM   #1
SS310
ninjette.org member

Name: Zoi

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Went down yesterday:(

I don’t remember what led up to it but i was the only person involved. Bikes damage is all superficial and I walked away with road rashed knee and a fractured thumb. Overall only $407 in damage including a new helmet so i got off pretty good. All the levers, headlight, gauge cluster, and scraped up muffler is all that got damaged.
SS310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2023, 04:12 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Sorry you crashed, Zoi. I hope you recover as painlessly as possible, and that your 250 comes out OK too.

It would be good if you can remember what caused it. It's usually very useful to know so you can avoid it in the future. My only bad crash was back in the late 1970s, and it was caused by looking in a mirror too long, to see if a cop I passed was coming out of hiding to stop me (he wasn't). Since then I have an alarm go off in my head if I take my attention off of what's in front of me more than about half a second. It's also the reason I won't ever mount a phone or GPS receiver in my view. They stay in my tail bag, and I stop to use them.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 16th, 2023, 07:32 PM   #3
SS310
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Sorry you crashed, Zoi. I hope you recover as painlessly as possible, and that your 250 comes out OK too.

It would be good if you can remember what caused it. It's usually very useful to know so you can avoid it in the future. My only bad crash was back in the late 1970s, and it was caused by looking in a mirror too long, to see if a cop I passed was coming out of hiding to stop me (he wasn't). Since then I have an alarm go off in my head if I take my attention off of what's in front of me more than about half a second. It's also the reason I won't ever mount a phone or GPS receiver in my view. They stay in my tail bag, and I stop to use them.
i have a feeling i was distracted like you. either looking at my mirrors or to the side. i was in traffic so i probably saw a stopped car too late and panicked. im normally such an attentive rider so im appalled this couldve happened. either way, im getting back on and will probably never look away near cars again.

also i suspect the pressure to keep up with my friend didnt help, as she was speeding and i didnt wanna fall behind

Old February 16th, 2023, 07:50 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS310 View Post
...also i suspect the pressure to keep up with my friend didnt help, as she was speeding and i didnt wanna fall behind
Oh, that's a huge problem. My daughter crashed once for a similar reason. She was leading, but knew the riders behind her were racer types and was trying to not hold them up. She now knows to ride the way she's comfortable, and if she falls behind, the riders in front will wait for her at the next turn.

It's not like she's a slow rider anyway:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killboy_ga_dragon_2018_1024.jpg (197.4 KB, 6 views)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 16th, 2023, 07:58 PM   #5
SS310
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
She now knows to ride the way she's comfortable, and if she falls behind, the riders in front will wait for her at the next turn.
yeah, its a shame i had to go down to understand theres no harm in being slow. just gotta ride my own ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 16 2023, 3 08 06 PM.jpg (134.5 KB, 8 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 18th, 2023, 09:42 PM   #6
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

It happens and it can happen to anybody. Sorry to hear that you crashed but glad the damage is minor. Many factors could have led up to the crash, but try not to worry about other riders being faster. You will become fast in no time just make sure you get plenty of rest before riding and stay hydrated. It's good to load up on water before a ride especially on hot days.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2023, 06:01 PM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Sorry you crashed, but yes, ride your own ride and the other guys can pass you if they want to go faster. Might also help to get intercoms when you ride with someone, to let them know you're not comfortable at that pace or make some way to catch up. Maybe if they see you dropping back they can wait at the next reasonable stopping place.

I had got good feedback on a group ride. Some of the riders were quite content to stay behind me, and stay at my relatively slow pace. They were glad to have someone else take the "responsibility" of being the slow one.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote