ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 10th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Help installing Sportisi swingarm cover-Update: Hitting sprocket nuts

I bought a hugger from Sportisi. I'm going to install the hugger piece later, but for now, I just need to get the swingarm cover part installed right.

It won't sit flush on the left side despite being screwed in to ensure alignment.

Also, the installation videos made it appear that I would not need to disconnect any brake lines or cut anything to install it, but now I see that the bike was not stock:

Link to original page on YouTube.

There is no brake line holder on that bike. Matt told me that the L-bracket + U-clip I found loose in the box was for the brake line holder. Now, I've re-oriented the caliper as shown in the video and I don't see any possible way to mount the brake line holder with the L-bracket + U-clip. I'm also not comfortable removing it like the one in the video because it requires disconnecting brake lines [Edit: or bending/cutting the brake line holder]. I already had to loosen the fitting on one side to fit the cover on in the first place and that worried me enough (saw a little wetness but it could have been from the previous night's rain). It looks like it was already tweaked in the video but at least they did show someone tweaking it again to zip-tie the brake line too. [Edit: I've been told that the brake line holder is not there on all bikes and that proper installation places the L-bracket + threaded U-clip where the holder would be so that the cover has something to bolt to on the right side].

Video of my installation difficulties before and after installation [Edit: 4th version]:

I'll take any suggestions! Thanks.

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 15th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Wow. Still no help from the seller on proper install?
I wonder how many many times customers have to ask?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #3
csviegas
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I'm having the exact same problems as you. These pieces are not fitting properly. The top part of the hugger does not sit flush with the bottom without touching the tire, which is stock. I spent about an hour trying to find an alignment that works to no avail. The bottom black part has already cracked at the center from trying to put it on the bike. The curved part near the center has hairline cracks too. The swingarm part is bending just like yours. You can tell the fiberglass was not cured fully since I can see the individual strands where it cracked. This was definately not test fitted before shipment. I have taken it off for now. I am very dissapointed. I was really looking forward to this after such a long wait.
csviegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Wow. Still no help from the seller on proper install?
I wonder how many many times customers have to ask?
Matt's usually pretty busy and probably expects more people to be comfortable with taking the brake lines off and re-reouting them without the holder (the video wasn't some official installation instructions so the assumptions were my doing). He's only one guy. Not only that, the GB thread wasn't exactly the "support" thread, hence, I made this one.

The shipment was mishandled by the people who re-packed it at a port (customs?) and the ones that didn't test-fit were replaced. I believe he test fit it as in he made sure that it wouldn't crack when flexed wide enough to slip on, but it has to be flexed more to get everything else done (brake caliper re-attached, etc), which he likely didn't do for each one. He did promise to take care of me if it actually cracked. As far as I can tell it's just the paint and I'm OK with that (it's really not that noticable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by csviegas View Post
I'm having the exact same problems as you. These pieces are not fitting properly. The top part of the hugger does not sit flush with the bottom without touching the tire, which is stock. I spent about an hour trying to find an alignment that works to no avail. The bottom black part has already cracked at the center from trying to put it on the bike. The curved part near the center has hairline cracks too. The swingarm part is bending just like yours. You can tell the fiberglass was not cured fully since I can see the individual strands where it cracked. This was definately not test fitted before shipment. I have taken it off for now. I am very dissapointed. I was really looking forward to this after such a long wait.
Well, I didn't install the hugger piece yet (I have no drill), so I don't know about that, but I thought you could fit a larger tire without contact just by drilling a little farther forward and/or adding washers to raise it slilghtly in the back.

I'd be glad to write some good English instructions for Matt to use if I could get the proper procedures myself.

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 10th, 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Old April 10th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, I think I know what he meant about what the L-bracket and U-clip is for. There is a hole on the right side of the hugger's swingarm cover and there is nothing threaded for it to line up with. I figured that it was for mounting a plate relocator or whatever you wanted and Matt's previous description of what the L-bracket was for made it sound like it was for mounting the brake line holder, but instead it is for mounting the cover to an L-bracket where the holder once was. This answers my biggest question: Yes, it need to be removed. It looks like it's to make something similar to the left side's chain guard mounting tab. That makes perfect sense to me now.

Now, back to the brake line holder that's still dangling on my brake line: Since I'm not willing to take off the brake lines, I guess I just need to cut it off. What kind of metal is it? Can I use snips or should I use a rotary tool? I just bought a rotary tool but I don't have a way to power it out there at the bike (guess I should have gotten a cordless Dremel). It doesn't feel like it would bend easily and I don't have any tools that would do that anyway. Any advice?

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 12th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.

Old April 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Name: Brahmantio

Motorcycle(s): N250R

Hello , please find installation instruction written here by our friend from Aussie
http://www.kawariders.com.au/showthr...ugger&p=111018

And for the rear brake line, you need to loop it up, loosen the brake line screw on the rear master cylinder,not too much, just so you can rotate the line and make it loop up over the cover instead of sitting on the arm.Then you can use cable ties to tie it to the rear footpeg .

Small correction : THE BRAKE LINE HOLDER should be removed by opening the screw-then You install the L bracket replacing that brakeline holder so you can screw the cover from the right side . And from the left side you screw it on the screw hole which hold the original chain cover after u removed it.

Hope you understand now .

Cheers
bprayogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Thank you bprayogo. Much appreciated.

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #8
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thank you bprayogo. Much appreciated.
small correction-remove the brake line holder by removing the screw .

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Thanks, Brahmantio. That's what I finally guessed later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprayogo View Post
small correction-remove the brake line holder by removing the screw .
Yes, but that only removes the brake line holder from the swingarm. To get it off the brake line itself, it looks like I'll either have to disconnect the brake line somewhere, bend the loops, or out-right cut it off. Myself? I'll probably find a way to cut it off.

Thanks again! Removing the exhaust as shown in the Australian instructions would have made things a lot easier, plus I probably would have finally painted it like I've wanted to do for so long. I might do that tomorrow and the next day.

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #10
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Sorry Guys I was out at the track the whole weekend and the internet is lousy to say the least. I do not expect you guys to be experts on an install and if i could travel the country to install everyone's I would but it isn't feasible.

Chris Pm me if you have issues and I will try to address them.

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Sorry Guys I was out at the track the whole weekend and the internet is lousy to say the least. I do not expect you guys to be experts on an install and if i could travel the country to install everyone's I would but it isn't feasible.

Chris Pm me if you have issues and I will try to address them.
That was my first guess. Hope it was a good weekend!

Do you have any tips on aligning and adjusting your chain with this on? The Australian instructions don't really cover that part. He doesn't say how he got the brake line holder off either! It's as if his magically disappeared after he unscrewed it when mine is welded to the plate where the wire runs underneath between the two loops. Perhaps mine is different than others' if everyone seems to gloss right over that part.

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 12th, 2011 at 12:47 AM.

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #12
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

When I had one on my bike I never adjusted a chain with it on. I undid the screws and pulled the sides out on the cover so that it was above the swingarm then adjusted.

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
When I had one on my bike I never adjusted a chain with it on. I undid the screws and pulled the sides out on the cover so that it was above the swingarm then adjusted.
But it needs to go between the adjustment screws and the swingarm endcaps, so you can't tighten it down with it lifted. On top of that, it always gets tighter when you tighten down the axel nut and so I need to make several more adjustments. Adding to the complexity is the fact that I can't use my rear stand until I modify my spools or the cover (actually, I think I'll buy some swingarm paddle adapters [Edit: No good. They still interfere with the cover]). I think I just make everything out to be more complicated than it is.

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 12th, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

Old April 10th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #14
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I didn't tighten mine down between the screws and the end plate. I notched it so I wouldnt have to.

Old April 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I didn't tighten mine down between the screws and the end plate. I notched it so I wouldnt have to.
Good idea. I think it's supposed to be what keeps the cover from flaring away from the swingarm but it obviously isn't doing that so well so I might as well try to find some other way to stick it down.

Is this thing a recent addition to the kit? The Aussie guy doesn't show or mention it and instead describes a washer and nut but the screw threads in perfectly. It seems that the threaded U clip *is* the nut, so there's no need for another, but I *do* have an extra washer and nut when I'm done. *shrug*

Anyway, I got the brake line holder off during my break here at work. I tried to use the facility's bolt cutters but it was too risky (didn't wanna nip the brake line itself) so I just bent the crap out of it with some heavy-duty vice-grips.

Old April 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #16
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

It must be like ikea. Parts left over and I don't know why

Old April 10th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
It must be like ikea. Parts left over and I don't know why
That might explain it. New part + old parts in case I am following the older directions.

Anyway, in all my trial and error, I've nicked the cover in a few places, worst of all where my dangling brake line holder was digging into the finish while the cover was lifted to re-attach the caliper. I colored it in with a Sharpie and it's much less noticible, not that people look through the bulky exhaust side anyway.

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Update: I was riding around and heard as strange noise. The cover is hitting the sprocket nuts!

hugger_hitting_sprocket_nuts.jpg

I can push it flat against the swingarm and it pops right back to hit the sprocket nuts. Video updated:

Edit: Updated video again

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 15th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #19
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Hi
lets see how you bolted the left front side of the hugger

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #20
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I'm curious too. I won't leave you hanging Julian but I need if attached properly on that side. If it is i will do you right.

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #21
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Update: I was riding around and heard as strange noise. The cover is hitting the sprocket nuts!

Attachment 11492

I can push it flat against the swingarm and it pops right back tohit the sprocket nuts. Video updated:
Would'nt the right hand torque on the washer cause the end of the cover to twist. And is anybody else's nut and cotter pin on the left side? Seems like a small spacer behind the top of the cover would push the top away from the sprocket. Just my two cents.

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #22
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

look closely

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Hi
lets see how you bolted the left front side of the hugger
The tab is underneath the rubber chain guide with the original bolt screwed through both just as the installation videos showed me.

It's too dark outside but I think I already have a picture of it. I'll have a look through my old pics.

Edit-Found one:
hugger_left_side_attached.jpg

Quote:
I'm curious too. I won't leave you hanging Julian but I need if attached properly on that side. If it is i will do you right.
I'll rig up something to make it straight. Unless it snaps in two pieces or goes all to hell, I'm not looking for a replacement! So far, everyone says it looks great and no one notices the tiny flaws unless I point them out. Touching the sprocket nuts should be easy to fix. In fact, I think I already have by putting a spacer between the inside of the cover and the chain guard mounting tab. That may even "twist" the bottom back into place but I can't finish getting it all back together until morning (I ran out of daylight outside).

Quote:
Would'nt the right hand torque on the washer cause the end of the cover to twist. And is anybody else's nut and cotter pin on the left side? Seems like a small spacer behind the top of the cover would push the top away from the sprocket. Just my two cents.
Yep. Already tried that (used the little nut that I couldn't find a use for) but ran out of daylight before I could finish getting everything back together.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking too about the chain adjustment nuts turning the cover, but I can still force it straight even when it is tightened down and yet it springs right back.

As for the axle/nut orientation, the service manual says to install the axle backwards from the way it originally shipped from the factory (see the tire change thread). It makes re-mounting the tire a million times easier as well thanks to it holding up the caliper mount as you align the tire.

Quote:
look closely

*snip*
Yup. Exactly like that.

Edit:
hugger_left_side_attached.jpg

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #24
lucowen
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Koko

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

arm cover flex

hi, just tried to show the flexibility of the arm cover....
it can be bent like photos showed below, and it supposedly enough for installation.
The bike used in video was stock condition...but i think there's difference on the rear brake hose..we don't have that metal plate here

as the video showed, the bolt on the end of chain adjuster should hold both end of the arm cover and it will stick flat on the arm.
We don't need to worry the bent condition of the cover as it will be straighten automatically when installed against the arm.

lucowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #25
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucowen View Post
hi, just tried to show the flexibility of the arm cover....
it can be bent like photos showed below, and it supposedly enough for installation.
The bike used in video was stock condition...but i think there's difference on the rear brake hose..we don't have that metal plate here

as the video showed, the bolt on the end of chain adjuster should hold both end of the arm cover and it will stick flat on the arm.
We don't need to worry the bent condition of the cover as it will be straighten automatically when installed against the arm.

I tried to limit the flexing as much as possible due to fact that it needed to be flexed from it's twisted position to even reach the normal position. The fiberglass itself seems to be fine. The little marks are only in the paint and I'm not really worried about that. My only issue is the fit and that's all I need help with at the moment.

The adjuster bolts actually help twist the left side of the cover out of alignment when tightened. I can push the cover and straighten it but, even with the nuts and washer fully tightened on top, it still just twists back to the wrong position. I can clearly see it sliding under the washer, so the pressure causing it to twist back out of alignment is coming from the cover itself. Any further torquing of the adjuster nuts would tighten the chain out of spec (mine has actually been TOO tight during all this).

So, Indonesian bikes don't have the brake line holder? That's strange. So the threaded hole on the right side for the L-bracket and U-clip is just empty? It didn't really seem like it was needed but I figured that people simply took the removal step for granted in the videos like the Aussie guy did... he mentioned unscrewing it but never mentioned how to remove it from the brake line! It's less that I was hesitant to damage it than simply believing that I was supposed to do something else with it due to what I was told and not told. The videos start with removing the caliper bolts, which usually requires me to loosen the axle and move it forward or backward due to the brake line holder being in the way of at least onf bolt. I could only assume that they removed it first! Matt told me that the L-bracket was "for" the brake line holder and I interpreted that to mean that you somehow mount the holder to the L-bracket after installing the cover. Silly me. Even so, the videos didn't appear to show the L-bracket installation part at all. The right side does seem fine even without it, but I added mine anyway to eliminate it as a factor.

Anyway, I updated my video again. I want to thank everyone for helping me with this.

I updated it now that I know what to do with the brake line holder and L-bracket + threaded U-clip and learned how to make readable text using GIMP (can't overlay on video though ). Edit: Updated again

In the morning I will go to a hardware store and try to get bolts and spacers so I can get my spools reinstalled and get the tire off the ground. It should make this a lot easier! If I have to cut notches in the cover to fit the bolt for spools, what tool do you suggest I use for a clean cut? I'm sure you guys see do it all the time!

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 15th, 2011 at 10:27 AM.

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #26
CoinSlot
ninjette.org member

Name: Gordo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I had various fitment issues with mine as well.

I was able to stop the twisting of the left side by tightening the chain adjustment nut. Not sure why yours doesn't apply enough clamping pressure though?

I'm unable to install the top hugger part because my HEL braided lines don't have enough slack to move out of the way.

If I knew this was going to be the case, I'd have not worried about buying it. The swingarm cover on by itself looks sexy enough I guess...
CoinSlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #27
chef
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1965 Honda S90 , 2010 Ninja 250,2012 Vespa LX 150(Yes,a vespa!)

Just installed Sportisi hugger

I just had a Sportisi hugger installed here in Bali,the guys did the job in under an hour.
The exhaust was removed & the brake line holder moved to allow installation & everything looks great. Quality & finish of the product was top notch.
No twisting or torqueing from the tensioner bolts.
I will try to get some pics in the next few days.
Matt
chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #28
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I had installation issues as well... the paint cracked in all the same spots yours did and until I put spacers in between the left side and the original chain guard mount it would just flop around on the left side or be pulled too far in and really bow out the rear part like yours did. I also managed to mis drill the cover for the hugger bolts as I really had to press on the carbon fiber to get it into the right spot... in my infinite wisdom I put the center screw in and slid the left side into place, marked and drilled. Then when I went to squeeze it for the right side I realized the left was in the wrong spot. So in the end my swingarm cover has a bunch of cracked paint and an extra hole. Oh, well... I've learned that most of the time things don't turn out exactly as I might like. The finish on the product was great until I muffed it up. Still, most people don't notice unless I point it out to them.

Just wanted you to know that you weren't alone.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #29
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

what a waste of money
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #30
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
I just had a Sportisi hugger installed here in Bali,the guys did the job in under an hour.
The exhaust was removed & the brake line holder moved to allow installation & everything looks great. Quality & finish of the product was top notch.
No twisting or torqueing from the tensioner bolts.
I will try to get some pics in the next few days.
Matt
Our mechanic in Jakarta can do it in 15 minutes without removing the exhaust - as this install maybe not for everyone. the cover is originally molded in 2 parts, left and right side, then combine with fiber mat and resins, the most fragile part is right in the middle front part where the 2 parts meet. If you force it too much you'll crack the upper middle part of the cover, although it wont be seen once the hugger is installed. We can make it thick so its strong, but then it wont be flexible and impossible to install.
Most error in installation includes , NOT REMOVING the caliper, not rotating the brake line , bolting the front left side of the hugger on top of the rubber guide , so focused on the right side then forgeting to watch the left side which is stretched then cracked or the other way around , doesnt remove the paddock stand spool if you have one (you can use a grinder to grind your spool so it wont collide with the cover) ,doesnt remove the chain tensioner bolt .

It doesnt matter if the cover looks bent or tilted as it is FLEXIBLE, important thing is you bolt it right on the arm then it'll be straight and steady.

We will send more extra covers with Matts next order , so he'll have spare for everyone .

If anyone have trouble with install please contact Matt first, rather than what the hell go for it then you damage the product .
A new style of hugger which is a lot nicer is coming out , pics will be posted by Matt soon enough.

cheers

Old April 12th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #31
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

thats more flex then I have ever seen out of a cover.

As bram said you guy are covered if it is not a product capable of being installed properly.

The product is getting better all the time. Remember this is all hand laid. I'm still waiting for the vaccuum bagging process or injection molding.

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, I spent ALL DAY working on this and it turns out that most of my problems are because the holes on the left and right of the cover do not line up with the chain guard mount or the L-bracket/U-clip. The right side may be the L-bracket's fault because it looks hand-made (not exactly 90-degrees, one side longer than the other, etc). If you screw in the chain guide screw on the left side and mount the end under the adjuster nuts, the hole isn't aligned with the chain guard mounting tab. Because I screwed that in first before, I had no idea. That's where all the stress was coming from causing it to bow out. I've got tons of videos and pictures including one where I have no wheel at all and have everything loose-fitted and it very plainly will not fit with all the bolts. Of course, that also proves that the reversed axle was never the problem because there was no axel at all (inserted it from the left this time anyway). The only way to get it to fit semi-well was to leave the left and right bolts alone. Even then, it bows out at the right-rear and touches my rearset when the swingarm pivots. None of the bolts would hold that down anyway.

As for my spools, I eventually just bought some 80mm long 10x1.25 metric bolts so that I could demonstrate the whole "no tire or axel at all + loose fit" thing. It's all on my phone which I ran dead and I'm at work so it'll have to wait until I am off.

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #33
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:

thats more flex then I have ever seen out of a cover.

As bram said you guy are covered if it is not a product capable of being installed properly.

The product is getting better all the time. Remember this is all hand laid. I'm still waiting for the vaccuum bagging process or injection molding.
I have a feeling that as they age they get more brittle ("curing?") and a freshly made one is a lot more flexible. These spent a lot of time in transit.

Old April 13th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #34
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

I also had some trouble installing it. I did get some cracks in it too, luckily they were covered by the hugger itself. I could not make it fit on the L-bracket, nor where the original chainguard was attached. So atm it is just held on at the front of the swingarm on the left side, and at the back of the swingarm. This seems to be enough though. Just hope it will stay like that.

Don't get me wrong, i'm absolutely happy with the look and finish/paint etc, but it is far from a perfect fit, and the installation was horrible.
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #35
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
... the cover is originally molded in 2 parts, left and right side, then combine with fiber mat and resins, the most fragile part is right in the middle front part where the 2 parts meet. ...
Would it be easier to leave it in two parts, have the 2 parts held together at the front by plastic rivets like the fairings. Make the rivet hole very slightly oval so the two parts can push together or pull to accommodate hole alignment. With all the same mounting points it should still be secure. Then just thicken up the area where the hole for the rivets are, since you really cant see that area anyway. This would allow the two parts to be installed one side at a time with less flexion of the parts and no paint cracking.
Just my 2 cents.

Old April 13th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #36
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
I also had some trouble installing it. I did get some cracks in it too, luckily they were covered by the hugger itself. I could not make it fit on the L-bracket, nor where the original chainguard was attached. So atm it is just held on at the front of the swingarm on the left side, and at the back of the swingarm. This seems to be enough though. Just hope it will stay like that.

Don't get me wrong, i'm absolutely happy with the look and finish/paint etc, but it is far from a perfect fit, and the installation was horrible.
Well, putting in those bolts means that the edges of the holes are chipped and the washer leaves marks on the cover peice so I wish I knew about the alignment first. I mean, I could get the screw in and screw it down but not when it was slipped down between the chain adjuster nuts. Because

Quote:
Would it be easier to leave it in two parts, have the 2 parts held together at the front by plastic rivets like the fairings. Make the rivet hole very slightly oval so the two parts can push together or pull to accommodate hole alignment. With all the same mounting points it should still be secure. Then just thicken up the area where the hole for the rivets are, since you really cant see that area anyway. This would allow the two parts to be installed one side at a time with less flexion of the parts and no paint cracking.
Just my 2 cents.
A real swingarm of the type it emulates would lose structural integrity that way an it would be a dead give-away that it's just a cover, but I wouldn't really mind as long as the real swingarm isn't visible.

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #37
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
...A real swingarm of the type it emulates would lose structural integrity that way an it would be a dead give-away that it's just a cover, but I wouldn't really mind as long as the real swingarm isn't visible.
I'm pretty sure that anybody who looks all up in the suspension and sees two small plastic rivets will be able to tell, before their eyeballs get there, it is a cover, although the attempt is to camoflauge the dinky swingarm.

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Updated video. More cracking, right side alignment issues, identified issue on the left side (mounting hole not aligned), right side bowing out in the front, demonstrate without wheel/exhaust (used bolts to raise it on the stand), etc.

Showing it without the wheel really helps demonstrate the alignment issues and, at the same time, addresses any concern that my reversed axle orientation had anything to do with it. I have since installed it from the left and nothing has changed regarding hugger fitment.

Old April 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, maybe I need to put it this way:
How can I repair and strengthen fiberglass cracks?

What kind of paint will preserve the "flat black faux metallic" look while sealing the cracks and blemishes?

What can I use to keep the right side flush against the swingarm so that it doesn't scrape on my rearset?

Should I drill a new/wider mounting hole on the left side? What about the right side, or should I get/make a new L-bracket there? Is it even needed? I planned to relocate my plate there when I install the undertail, so it's holding everything up.

Should I even bother with all this?

Anyway, I'm interested in using plastic rivets like what hold the fairing together for the left and right sides of the hugger piece, so I'll probably need to experiment with hole sizes, but what size drill bit should I use if I decide to use the bolts anyway? I still need to buy the drill and the bits.

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #40
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

you need to use a quick dry putty , sand it then spray it with black matte paint.

Remove the brake line holder completely . the reason you dont see any of that holder on the vids is because we remove it, bend the holder and you can free the hose, very easy.

at first we dont want to drill holes in the cover for the reason that some other bikes maybe different, the bolt holes maybe slightly different then our bike which we use for setting the covers and hugger, but then again, if we dont drill that side holes you may find it even harder to install the cover,not that its ever a problem for our mechanic, so we drill it test fit it the best we could .
the right side L Bracket, try switching the holes , open it, turn it ,bolt it so the hole you bolt to arm now for the right cover side. if it still mis aligned, use the closest one then widen the hole using a drill or die grinder, put a washer under it then bolt, you wont see the hole with a washer under it.

I guess practice makes perfect , as our mechanic done this a hundred times and never cracked anything