ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Group Rides and Local Events

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1641
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Hm.. Count me in on one of those. I'm getting tired of doing it by hand.

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1642
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

you might as well pick up 2. one for the CB and the other for your new bike u never bought yet
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1643
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Sounds reasonable. Today is actually the day I'm finished with my probation period.

I'm still pretty set on the Hym796, but the M696 is starting to get to me again. I'm also considering buying a used thumper, either a dual sport 650 or a 250/400 supermoto.

Old May 31st, 2012, 03:42 AM   #1644
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

/cry.

So, as the prospects of my becoming a real rider deepens, i revisted all my previously bookmarked goodies (aka gear i've been eyeing out), and realized that just about half of them are either out of stock or discontinued. ;__;
lamchops is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM   #1645
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

What gear was it? I'm sure you could find similar items that came out this year or are still in production.

Old May 31st, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1646
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

:(

Shift Racing Women's Curve Street Shoes in white

and

Shift Racing Chaos Gloves (2011) in black/white

Old May 31st, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1647
rz3r0
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R(Sold), 11 Honda Ruckus, 12 Ducati Monster 696 ABS

Check out South Seas Honda on Nimitz, they had some Shift gear last time I checked.
rz3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1648
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

ooo! will do! thanks!
*crossin mah fingerz* xI

Old May 31st, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1649
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
Shift Racing Women's Curve Street Shoes in white

and

Shift Racing Chaos Gloves (2011) in black/white
You can't find those white ones anywhere. I bought my black ones months ago and I couldn't find the white ones. I bought the black ones for $69. Now you can get them for $49.
Shift Racing Women's Curve Street Shoes

If I were you I'd look at the closeout sections on that website. That's what I did other than my helmet.
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 05:29 PM   #1650
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
You can't find those white ones anywhere. I bought my black ones months ago and I couldn't find the white ones. I bought the black ones for $69. Now you can get them for $49.
Shift Racing Women's Curve Street Shoes

If I were you I'd look at the closeout sections on that website. That's what I did other than my helmet.
well, that's... rather disappointing.
thanks though.

Old May 31st, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1651
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Link to original page on YouTube.

my video editing sucks, but heres what i have....

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1652
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post

Link to original page on YouTube.

my video editing sucks, but heres what i have....

I wish ninjette forums had 'like' buttons!
good job AJ!

i wish noah had a gopro on norfolk that day.
i wanna see some pre-chicken footage lol

Old May 31st, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1653
Gorilla25
Dakine...

lol..it would have been nice to have different angles and different footage from others though.

Old June 1st, 2012, 02:55 AM   #1654
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Shift stopped making street gear. Any of those shoes you find will be whatever's left in stock or in the clearance section.

So.. I went out riding with my friend today. We rode up by Hanauma Bay and took some pictures. We were going to go to a movie at Pearl Ridge afterwards. Our movie was at 730, but we started heading there at about 500. We stopped at Cycle City so I could use the restroom. When we got back on the road, traffic was in full force. Nimitz was backed up to Puuloa Rd. By the time we got to the end, where it's Pearl Harbor/Kam/H1, my friend decided to go H1, even though traffic was terrible. While we were halfway up the onramp (in stop and go traffic), I motioned we go over the unpaved area to Kam, between the offramp and the roadway. I went first. I was doing fine. But... At the last second, the dirt disappeared in front of me. There was a three foot drop. I was too close to stop myself, especially since it was dirt and downhill. I just closed my eyes and hung on for dear life. SOMEHOW I managed to keep it upright. I bashed up my calf real good. Bike seems fine. I dropped the rear hard enough to hit my tire on the license plate.

Scariest ****ing feeling in my life. I bet the truck that was approaching got a good scare out of it (it was still a ways away, but close enough to see me almost eat it).

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #1655
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

yikes! i'd be out of my mind too! damn.
hope you and your bike are okay/healing up nicely.
i've had a couple good scares myself. infact, justin has witnessed one of them during one of my first on-street experiences. eheheh... ;

even just the other day, i was on ala moana blvd/nimitz heading home, around 10pm and had a healthy distance between the car in front of me. no one was ahead of him, and idk WHAT was going through his mind at the time, but he just STOPPED all of a sudden (and mind you, we were going at around 35mph w/ such light traffic), so i tried to make a controlled panic-stop but did end up locking the rear brake and started skidding. i did manage to come to a complete stop and avoid ramming into his trunk, but at a weird angle, and i couldn't hold it up w/ my noodley arms and ended laying it down. i'll say one thing, though. i am SOOO glad there were frame sliders on it!!! (my friend would've killed me... >_> or just make me pay for damages =_=) after i wiggled out from under it and tried to make sense of what happened, i looked up again and he was gone. and it didn't help that all the while, a line of cars started to form behind me, and no one even tried to get out and help me get it up, but i managed to (not w/o struggle!) it wasn't 'til after i had mounted back on that a concerned citizen pulled up slowly next to me on the next lane to ask me if i was okay. thanks for the thought, but a bit late dontchuthink? lol --- i'm not sure if anyone else had shouted out if i needed help from behind me b/c i had my noise-cancelling earphones in at the time haha.

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #1656
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

on another note...

Ooo! Totally forgot to mention! but i went back to the MSF the week before the memorial day ride to watch my friend eat pavement(lol j/k)/test out and met the program director, and he mentioned that they were gonna offer the ERC for free during the summer (or at the very least, it was in the works) and i've compLETEly forgotten about it 'til now. apparently, they wanted to offer it free during the month of may as part of "motorcycle safety month" but i guess it didn't go through so they've moved it to the summer instead (it helps too b/c students will be more available to attend) i'll be calling in about... 3 hours when their office opens again to confirm if anyone's interested.

&plz don't ask me why i'm up at five in the morning
hint: *whispers* i haven't gone down!

Old June 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1657
Gorilla25
Dakine...

ERC is intended for riders with at least one year of riding experience. glad you did not get hurt when you tipped over. instead of a panic stop, couldn't u have swerved? unless there were cars in the other lanes too.

Old June 4th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1658
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

I was scheduled to take the free ERC in like.. January or something. But by that time, I had my CB and it was down. I'll give em a call and see what they can do for me.

Old June 4th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #1659
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Well, for our Anniversary, June 2, my hubby gave me the MSF class for a present. Although, I told him that if I take the class now and I don't get a bike till February I'd probably forget everything I'd learned and couldn't put it all to use. So.....we decided to wait till we get closer to getting a bike.

Old June 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1660
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Whaaat? That's the part where you get a bike soon :P

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1661
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Well, he's made it very clean that we can't afford one until next tax season. So, I figure I'd just wait till around that time so I don't forget everything I learned and can actually put it all to use. Am I crazy???

Edit: The class I wanted to take does start on my birthday but I very seriously doubt I'd get a bike for my birthday.

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #1662
dkstariob
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): None

Does anyone here have any available rooms to rent or know available rooms? Want to move out of the place I am in. I am looking to rent a room inside a house or an apartment. The reason why I ask is because if someone on the forums do know, most likely they will have a garage to put my motorcycle in . I work full-time at a law firm in downtown so I'd prefer if the commute wasn't too terrible, somewhere around Kalihi to Hawaii Kai area.
dkstariob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1663
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
ERC is intended for riders with at least one year of riding experience. glad you did not get hurt when you tipped over. instead of a panic stop, couldn't u have swerved? unless there were cars in the other lanes too.
There was some light traffic on the other lane too but I haven't checked the mirrors in awhile and didn't wanna swerve into the next lane unknowingly or distract myself from stopping in time if there was one. But i'm kinda hazy on the details. I don't think I was able to think very thoroughly during that short window of time hehe.

As for the ERC, the instructor I talked to said it's all the same courses we did in the BRC except you bring your own bike. And if I may paraphrase: "it's a good day to get some practice in, have fun, and hang out." You even another card(? I think it was) at the end of it, but you don't get any add'l benefits that you can't already get from your BRC card. And hey, i figure 'free is free' (don't look! my chinese is showing! lol)

Old June 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1664
Gorilla25
Dakine...

welp, now you have new things to practice if i remember, you said you had a healthy distance from the truck so that means you should have time to check your lanes and swerve/switch lanes. you are pretty new, so dont get too hard on yourself. just take it as a learning experience and try to learn from it. riding in town everyday gives me A LOT of practice with that..hahaha

Old June 4th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #1665
Gorilla25
Dakine...

I took the BRC last year and the instructor said May of this year was supposed to be the free ERC class. well, i called a few weeks before May the the lady did not know anything about free ERC. oh well, maybe next time.

Old June 4th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1666
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Whaaat? That's the part where you get a bike soon :P

That's exactly what my MSF instructor recommend that I do too. I would think it'd be like taking a break from school. The longer you go w/o, you become rusty and less confident in your skills and are more likely to hesitate/balk to get back on the horse when the opportunity/time finally comes around. Ask me how I know (on both counts haha).

The reason I was able to get back into riding was 1) initiative, and it took some, 2) necessity: travel/commute, 3) humility & a willing and gracious friend who had an extra from his upgrade and helped supervise and coach me back to my feet, and 4) I would kick myself in the head for the rest of my life if I came all this way, wanting to do it for so long (middle school), just to give up after all the hard part was done (if there was anything I learned in basic...). Hopefully bike ownership will be in sight for me in the near future, but right now it's not a very pressing issue yet. Not saying that this is what's going to happen to you, ymmv(? Did I use that right lol)

Last futzed with by lamchops; June 5th, 2012 at 04:17 AM.

Old June 4th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1667
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
welp, now you have new things to practice if i remember, you said you had a healthy distance from the truck so that means you should have time to check your lanes and swerve/switch lanes. you are pretty new, so dont get too hard on yourself. just take it as a learning experience and try to learn from it. riding in town everyday gives me A LOT of practice with that..hahaha
Ah, but alas, 35-40mph closes that gap REAL quick haha. /kisses the ground.
Seeing as I live smack dab in the middle of town, I get to "practice" everyday too. And so far, it's been mostly mishap-free.

Quote:
I took the BRC last year and the instructor said May of this year was supposed to be the free ERC class. well, i called a few weeks before May the the lady did not know anything about free ERC. oh well, maybe next time.
Yeah I overheard that too (about may) but I guess the logistics of it fell through so they said it was going to be moved to happen through the summer instead. I was gonna call and ask, but oops. I ended up sleeping through the business day. LOL

Last futzed with by lamchops; June 5th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Old June 5th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #1668
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

just came back from a 11p post-shift tantalus run w/ my coworker. it was nuttts
he makes me want a dual-sport. just a little bit.
poor ninjette. he hurt her ego.

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #1669
Gorilla25
Dakine...

did you go all the way through? yes, i know tantalus is a nuts place..lol

Old June 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #1670
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Yep! The view was worth it tho. ^_^

Old June 6th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1671
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

So that drop definitely messed something up. I'm fairly certain the rim is bent, or worst case the steering tube is twisted

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1672
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Alright guys, here's the scoops!:

ERC - Free ONE day only! June 15
http://www.ocewd.org/registration

must be licensed
bring your own bike
gear - you know the deal

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1673
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
Alright guys, here's the scoops!:

ERC - Free ONE day only! June 15
http://www.ocewd.org/registration

must be licensed
bring your own bike
gear - you know the deal
June 16 is Saturday. Does this mean:
Registration is free only on the 15th or is there a special free course on Friday the 15th, or did you just typo the date?

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1674
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
June 16 is Saturday. Does this mean:
Registration is free only on the 15th or is there a special free course on Friday the 15th, or did you just typo the date?
haha ... ^^;;;
well, when i was on the phone w/ ocewd, i repeated "15th" several times and didn't get corrected. i only started doubting the date too when i got back on to the registration page. i tried calling them back a little past 4:00 (website said their hours didn't end 'til 4:30, but i think they all left early ). i think i would just write 15th and $∅ and wait for a call telling me i've been mistaken. lol

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1675
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

I'll give em a call tomorrow morning.

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #1676
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

haha. sorry i wasn't much help. i think i'll wanna re-confirm in the morning too.
hope you can get your bike back in tip top shape by then!

Old June 7th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #1677
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Well it's still rideable. I'll just get headshake at 40mph+ if I don't have my hands on the bars. At lower speeds the damage isn't noticeable.

Old June 8th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1678
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

The June 16 BRC2 is free. Sign up now.

Old June 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1679
rz3r0
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R(Sold), 11 Honda Ruckus, 12 Ducati Monster 696 ABS

I pulled the trigger last night...yay new bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3040.jpg (155.8 KB, 6 views)
rz3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1680
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Nice. Did you get it from AJ?