ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old November 26th, 2022, 10:20 PM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Plastic button screw things GRRRRrr.

does ANYONE have a solution to this problem PLEASE ?!?!?
under the front wheel on my 2012 250R ninja is 4 plastic push in buttons that have a plastic screw that goes into them to lock them in place....
evidently last time I put them in I turned the screw too far because they will not come out... they just spin and will not raise even a tiny bit where I can get a screw driver under the philips head to pry them out... this time they are flush and will not come out at all...
I need to get them out so I can take the fairings off to pull the carbs and etc,etc. I took my new handy dandy 90 degree carb turner put in the Philips bit and turned them fairly easily I even tried to get a small sharp screwdriver under the head to pry them up a bit but no go....
any ideas ? and is there a better solution to this area than these stupid plastic fasteners ? like maybe a drywall toggle bolt ? LOL...
thanks !
Bob........

Old November 27th, 2022, 01:24 PM   #2
Artruck
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ex250 (black), silver 2005 ex250 scrambler, 2003 ex250 donor bike, 2006 kymco people 250

The little pop up fasteners can be taken out if you drill out the pop up part, and you might be able to get a pick under them and pull the center up. They are cheap and most parts stores or many places on line sell them in quantity.

Try a pick, then just get replacements and drill the center out.
Artruck is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 27th, 2022, 05:25 PM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

never thought about drilling them out as they are right next to the front forks... and there is little room but I can take a pocket knife and cut them off...
it's difficult but it can be done
I think the pic idea is a good one though as that is how I got the last one out
as all 4 of the original ones came out but one.... and I got it out by digging a hole in the plastic cap to get to the screw part and then pryed it out...
a royal P.I.T.A. but I got that one out ... but now I have after market ones
in there all nice an pirty.....but they won't budge...
looks like it jerry rigging time to me and I excell at that ! HAHAHAH
I'll get them out but I doubt I'll put those stupid things back in !
Bob......

Old November 28th, 2022, 01:43 AM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well I got the dirty little things out of there..... I only hurd one pop while getting them out so I should only have one fairing to repair.... I didn't bother to look at it by then I was disgusted !
I just got the needle nose plyers under them and twisted them out ..3 out of 4 ain't bad I guess I got one out by pulling the screw up with a sharp screw driver under the head and then grabbing it with the needle nose and pulling the screw out and the rest of it came out easy... but all the rest the head of the screw popped off the plastic screw leaving nothing to grab....
typical plastic garbage ! I hate that kind of engineering !
.... anyway I got the fairings off and now it's getting down to the carbs !
the fuel tank is next !
Bob.....

Old January 13th, 2023, 10:30 PM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok I ordered 100 of those dumb clips.... and when they came I couldn't believe how small they were.... they might work but they are quite small...
I would rather have bigger ones that are supposed to be used in there !
does anyone have a link to those plastic rivit button things that are supposed to hold on the under side cover under the head light...? I thought (wrongly) that they would be all the same size and obviously they come in different sizes
but I do not know what size that is supposed to be so I cannot order the right ones....
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Bob......

Old January 16th, 2023, 07:20 AM   #6
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

The plastic screw/pop clips come in many sizes. Order them based on the drill hole size of the hole they fit into. Replace screw type with pop type if they are awkward. WithPop type you just push the outer through the hole, the press the centre until it is flush with the out part. When you want to release it you just use a small drift/back of a drill to push the centre further in, then lever the outer out of the hole. Clean & reset & use it again. Screw type are NOT screws, they should be turned 1/4-1/2 turn until they are flush with the outer. They are twist to lock devices.

Have fun.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2023, 08:54 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Thanks Mohawk !
I did not see any with a size on them for sale the only ones I saw that might fit were supposed to be for a Honda TRX quad they were $8.00 so I just got them
we'll see if they fit or not....
there were about a dozen listed in my google search and none of them had any sort of sizing of them....even in the description which is plane weird
dam resellers should know better than that ! aurgh !
Bob........

Old January 30th, 2023, 05:42 PM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, after getting the Carbs sent to Ducattiman and getting them back already I finally got the valve lash set to where I am happy with it and am putting it back together.
....it's going extreamily slow as I can only stay out there in that cold for about 30 to 45 minutes... but I am slowly getting it back together... it looks like the TRX push button rivits
(plastic rivit junk) will fit to hold the inner fairing on so that problem should be solved.
.... when I get to the point where I can try running it again I will do so and probably take it down the block and back before I put the fairings back on.
I don't anticipate any problems but it never hurts to be sure FIRST ! LOL
Bob......

Old March 1st, 2023, 01:57 AM   #9
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

I got so fed up with those plastic rivets I just used nuts, washers, and bolts. Works great and they never fight me. They never need replacing like old plastic does, either
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote