ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 28th, 2023, 08:39 AM   #1
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

Question Wheel bearing replacement issues

Hey there,

So I've replaced all of the wheel bearing front and back with the Pivot Works kit from All Balls.

I've done this on both my 07 250s.

It's safe to say I'm terrible at driving bearings or I'm doing something wrong.

Getting the old out no problem. Driving the bearings I used sockets that only contact the outer race. I was careful not to hit the inner race. Froze the bearings the night before.

Current issues post replacement:

Black Ninja
Rear- wheel bearing tight on internal wheel spacer, does not spin freely
Front - same

Blue Ninja
Rear spins freely but grinding. I hit the inner race on one bearing to loosen up the internal bearing to increase clearance. Probably self-inflicted on this one.
Front spins but has a clunky thud on my balance stand. I can feel the clunk spinning with my hand.

I measured the old and new bearing they match.

Questions:

Is there a order to installing the new bearing?

By seating the bearings into the wheels the spacer is tight. Did Kawasaki not seat them fully?

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to know I did the bearing job correctly, definitely don't want them failing on the road.

I've bought another round of bearing different mfg this time and a bearing driver kit.

Thanks,
Jay
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2023, 08:41 PM   #2
Artruck
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ex250 (black), silver 2005 ex250 scrambler, 2003 ex250 donor bike, 2006 kymco people 250

When I have done my wheel bearings, I didn’t bother to freeze them over night. I drove out the old, cleaned the surfaces, and drove the new one in with sockets like normal. It didn’t take too much effort. Maybe check the wheels and see if there is anything in the machined sections for the bearings. You could also make a puller with threaded rod, nuts, a washer and a plate for the other side of the wheel and pull the bearings in. That should help keep them straight.

Maybe you got slightly off bearings too. What did you use to measure them again the old?
Artruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2023, 03:02 AM   #3
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the reply I think the threaded rod idea is solid.

I measured the old bearings with a vernier caliper.

I was messing around with the black ninjas stuck rear wheel bearing last night and found that the spacer inside the wheel needs to be right on the money straight or it binds both bearings.

I took a long drift and lightly tapped the side of the spacer until the bearings could be moved by hand. This seems like the problem.

I have new bearings coming in this week I'll give a update after I drop them in. Need to replace the ones I've been bashing on the inner races.

Old January 31st, 2023, 12:43 PM   #4
Shafer
ninjette.org member

On the front tire you need to start on the brake rotor side first. I tried a few times with old bearings and had the best outcome with rotor side first.

What I did was send the rotor side first, then on the speedometer side I used a 42mm bearing driver. 42mm will sit flush with the lip of the bearing cup.

Then send the axle through you will find its a hard push and the bearings are hard to turn by hand.

Put the snap ring and speedometer catch on.

Use a heat gun and warm up both bearing cups.

Pound the rotor side bearing in again.

You will find that the bearings are now free and spin well by hand and are not binding on the bushing/internal spacer.

Push your axle back through if both bearings are seated perfect the axle should fall right through with almost no pushing.

Snap ring back on rotor side.

Old January 31st, 2023, 12:45 PM   #5
Shafer
ninjette.org member

5B8ACE84-95B8-4D38-BCB8-69BB359A661D.jpg

Flush with the top of the cup, smaller driver sends it beyond the lip.

7C07772A-1AC8-4891-86D4-9EA2EF46B9CA.jpg

Another good tell if your bearing is not fully seated is the snap ring won't come out on one side or if it won't go in on one side.

Old January 31st, 2023, 12:54 PM   #6
Shafer
ninjette.org member

C189AB26-FA6D-48F6-AA75-6714896F19BD.jpg

Got this driver set on Amazon. $55. Very high quality 18mm-65mm. 1mm increments.

DASBET 50 Piece Custom Bushing Bearing & Seal Driver Set 18mm - 65mm https://a.co/d/e5Jwh2e

Also the Timken bearing are way superior to the Pivot Works Premium. At least spinning by hand, lol

They are smooth as glass on tire balancer stand.

Having a balancer was a nice tool to have I could mount the tire and check for smoothness or binding. I have the Harbor freight Pittsburgh one, very happy with the build quality.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.