ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:05 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
What's everyone's opinion on XENA disc lock alarms?

I've looked at them for years now, I've seen what most people think of them and it seems that when people leave them out in the rain uncovered or don't lubricate them, that's when they go bad. But, as usual, I trust the opinions and experiences of the people on this forum WAY more than anywhere else.

What I'm considering is either buying a really nice disc lock without an alarm, or a XENA.

I'd love to hear your experiences with any disc lock, alarm or not, and whether you'd recommend it or not.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:37 AM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Husband and I have disc locks without alarms, roommate has one with an alarm. I'm not sure the alarm is worth it. The disc lock is the part I think is most effective. it only takes a minute to put on the bike when I park her.

Somebody told me that if someone really wants to steal my bike, they'll just put the front on a skateboard and roll it off, but I can't plan for every contingency. I mean, what do you do, put a lockdown ring in the pavement to lock the bike to?

The disc lock is a reasonable security measure.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:44 AM   #3
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The shackle on mine snapped on it's own. Alarm started acting weird before that too. Didn't feel like paying a lot again for something that snaps on it's own when it's supposed to help secure my bike. I have a Kryptonite U-lock style disc brake lock with no alarm now.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:05 AM   #4
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Somebody told me that if someone really wants to steal my bike, they'll just put the front on a skateboard and roll it off, but I can't plan for every contingency. I mean, what do you do, put a lockdown ring in the pavement to lock the bike to?
I don't know what it is, but some people have this fatalist attitude when it comes to bike security. "No matter what you do, a determined thief will take your bike." While that's true, does it mean anything? Do these people think it makes them sound smart? If I wrapped my bike in a 3-foot radius of chain every time I got off it, I could be about as sure as I possibly could be that nobody's going to take it. I'm also sure that someone, somewhere, could successfully steal a bike under those conditions, but I'm REALLY not concerned with them.

It boggles my mind. By that logic, I shouldn't wear gear, either. Because a determined angry motorist could kill me and there's nothing I can do about that. I'd like to see these people just sign their pink slip, leave the key in their ignition, and write a eulogy for their bike every time they park it. Otherwise, they're not helping and don't really believe the things they're saying.

/rantover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
The shackle on mine snapped on it's own. Alarm started acting weird before that too. Didn't feel like paying a lot again for something that snaps on it's own when it's supposed to help secure my bike. I have a Kryptonite U-lock style disc brake lock with no alarm now.
How is that even possible? Like, you tried to unlock it and it snapped? That sounds awful. I think I'll get a different lock but I also want more deetz if that's okay.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:16 PM   #5
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
How is that even possible? Like, you tried to unlock it and it snapped? That sounds awful. I think I'll get a different lock but I also want more deetz if that's okay.
I think the metal in the shackle corroded or something that made the locking end fall off. I don't remember at which point it happened though as it was a few years ago and then I went a few years without any lock.

Oh my least favorite part of the alarm is that unlocking it is always a game of unlocking it fast enough to not set off the alarm. The mechanism wasn't always very smooth and I definitely had that alarm go off on me quite a few times.

At this point, I think I just prefer something simple so there's less things to go wrong.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I have a Xena alarm disc long, I don't know if the alarm part is worth it, I just got it for the lock, and I got a cable that hooks into it as well. I only use it when I'm leaving my bike alone for an extended period of time, like when I commuted occasionally. I'd put the lock on the rear disc, and run the cable around a guard rail that was next to the building.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:12 PM   #7
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Sounds like I'll just get a decent enough non-alarm lock, then. Thanks for the input!

Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:26 PM   #8
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yeah, I don't quite understand the fatalism, either. Like you say, if that's your attitude, why bother doing anything?

We balance the benefits with the complications and decide to do it or not. Wear your gear or not, lock up the bike or not, ride a bike at all or not. Yes, things can happen out of our control, but I can't let that stop my life.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Bluberryrain
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I have a disc lock on mine that I use religiously. It takes like 10 seconds to pull out from under the seat and lock it on.

Quote:
I don't know what it is, but some people have this fatalist attitude when it comes to bike security. "No matter what you do, a determined thief will take your bike." While that's true, does it mean anything? Do these people think it makes them sound smart?
I also don't get this. Why make it easier for someone to steal your bike then? If someone wants to break into your house, they will right? So why lock your doors? -stupid is as stupid does.

Anyways, someone tried to roll my bike off once with the lock on there, and it stopped them. However, it bent the pin and was a real pain in the ass to get off. (I had a cheap small one. I use one with a much bigger pin now)
Bluberryrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #10
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I have a non-alarm Xena X2. While the alarm would be another bit of protection, my takeaway from the reviews was that they tended to have a lot of problems. Combined with how people ignore car alarms now, I figured a simple, solid lock was better than trying to throw fancy electronics in the mix too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles..._operator_ama/
That guy said that no decent thief would steal a bike that he couldn't ride away on. He said that people who loaded bikes into vans and whatnot were the ones who got caught.

Another tip was to put the lock on the rear wheel. It's much harder to remove the rear disc/wheel than the front. Removing the whole wheel is probably more involved than most would do for a Ninjette, but if you can get a little more security just by putting it on the other end of the bike, why not? Xena's website has a printable template to put on your bike and see which model(s) will fit your rotor. The swingarm and other parts can make it a tighter, more complicated fit (mine will only fit at one specific angle under the swingarm), but it should be more secure.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #11
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I bought a kryptonite disc lock. Excited for it to get here. The idea of a disc lock alarm is still attractive at XENA's pricepoint, but seeing as how it doesn't seem to properly work long-term, I'm passing it up.

Old May 12th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #12
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I don't know what it is, but some people have this fatalist attitude when it comes to bike security. "No matter what you do, a determined thief will take your bike." While that's true, does it mean anything? Do these people think it makes them sound smart? If I wrapped my bike in a 3-foot radius of chain every time I got off it, I could be about as sure as I possibly could be that nobody's going to take it. I'm also sure that someone, somewhere, could successfully steal a bike under those conditions, but I'm REALLY not concerned with them.

It boggles my mind. By that logic, I shouldn't wear gear, either. Because a determined angry motorist could kill me and there's nothing I can do about that. I'd like to see these people just sign their pink slip, leave the key in their ignition, and write a eulogy for their bike every time they park it. Otherwise, they're not helping and don't really believe the things they're saying.

/rantover

It's all about Risk Management and Risk Mitigation.

What's the threat to your bike?
Where do you park it?
What is your bike worth? (cash, your need as transportation, and sentimental value)
How much do the security measures cost? (cash and your time)

Yes if someone wants your stuff bad enough they will eventually get it, but it's all about making it difficult enough that it's not worth their time to steal.

Using $2,000 worth of chain and locks to secure a $1,000 bike doesn't make much sense. Unless it as a lot of sentimental value or is you only form of transportation.

A gas powered chop saw will get through any lock pretty quickly. But it makes a lot of noise which attracts a lot of attention.

I use a standard disk lock, I don't trust the alarms in the weather. Bikes are parked in a garage at home and I try to park them in view of a lot of people when out.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Old joke about bicycles:

All bicycles weigh 50 pounds.

A 50 pound bike doesn't need a lock.
A 40 pound bike needs a 10 lb lock.
A 30 pound bike needs a 20 lb lock.
A 20 pound bike needs a 30 lb lock....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #14
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Old joke about bicycles:

All bicycles weigh 50 pounds.

A 50 pound bike doesn't need a lock.
A 40 pound bike needs a 10 lb lock.
A 30 pound bike needs a 20 lb lock.
A 20 pound bike needs a 30 lb lock....
So true! My commuter is an old school Stumpjumper hardtail, all wrapped in black duct tape. I used a motorcycle chain to secure the seat (Brooks) to the frame. I used solder to fill in all the allen bolts. I had my 10 speed XTR front and rear derailleurs sanded down with sand paper so it shows no logo or name. Same for my XTR brake levers/shifters. I had XT brakes and an XT crank. I even got a "Tourney" or "Altus" stickers to put on the brake levers/derailleurs. My wheels were painted with "rust" colored paint at the nipples. It make it seem like the nipples were all rusty. My wheel hubs were de-badged and sanded down to look "rough".

The bike looks like it's worth $100. But unless you know what you're looking at, you would never know just two wheels cost well over $500 and the drivetrain/brakes were worth well over $1,000.

But I rode it every single day on my commute for a few years and no one even looked at it.

Security: Kryptonite NY Fahgettabout it chain (yellow) with the disc lock. I also had the NY U-Lock as well.

U lock goes on rear wheel and frame. The chain goes on chain and front wheel. I felt pretty confident with $200+ worth of locks and no quick release parts on the bike. The bike was locked outside of the building in the World Financial Center's bike racks. But it did suck big time to have the 10lbs chain around my waist riding up the Brooklyn Bridge daily.

Old May 12th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #15
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
So true! My commuter is an old school Stumpjumper hardtail, all wrapped in black duct tape. I used a motorcycle chain to secure the seat (Brooks) to the frame. I used solder to fill in all the allen bolts. I had my 10 speed XTR front and rear derailleurs sanded down with sand paper so it shows no logo or name. Same for my XTR brake levers/shifters. I had XT brakes and an XT crank. I even got a "Tourney" or "Altus" stickers to put on the brake levers/derailleurs. My wheels were painted with "rust" colored paint at the nipples. It make it seem like the nipples were all rusty. My wheel hubs were de-badged and sanded down to look "rough".

The bike looks like it's worth $100. But unless you know what you're looking at, you would never know just two wheels cost well over $500 and the drivetrain/brakes were worth well over $1,000.

But I rode it every single day on my commute for a few years and no one even looked at it.

Security: Kryptonite NY Fahgettabout it chain (yellow) with the disc lock. I also had the NY U-Lock as well.

U lock goes on rear wheel and frame. The chain goes on chain and front wheel. I felt pretty confident with $200+ worth of locks and no quick release parts on the bike. The bike was locked outside of the building in the World Financial Center's bike racks. But it did suck big time to have the 10lbs chain around my waist riding up the Brooklyn Bridge daily.
I always thought a good way to remedy this issue would be to have a bike dedicated to leisure, and one to commuting, like my $50 Craigslist bike. not something that you feel miserable riding, like a department store bike, but something that was old, neglected, but still built well. My 80's cross bike fits the bill. It's also good enough at taking the abuse I put it through by riding it like a BMX.