ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 11th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Are there any here using a motorcycle as their only form of transportation?

If you are, is it because you are forced to or do you do it because you want to?

Personally, I live in an area where the weather allows me to ride my bike all year long(no snow, little rain). I would love to be able to live without the cost, maintenance, licensing and insurance of owning a car/truck.

I'm an older retired person, no kids or wife at home and I live in a small urban area near a lot of services. I enjoy riding my little bike daily. I have an older Toyota Tacoma pickup paid for, licensed and in good running condition at home.

Because of cost, simplicity, minimalism and vehicle upkeep, I am beginning to consider getting rid of my little pickup and just using my Ninjette for all commuter travel. But, I must admit, I am a little afraid of losing the convenience of my little truck.

I suspect that I will just keep it available and licensed, but little used. That seems like such a waste, but maybe a smarter choice. But, on the other hand, I would love to use the money saved from getting rid of the truck to take a vacation or travel abroad every now and then.

All opinions welcome.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I have a car as well as a bike, and I take the bike 99.99% of the time. I use the car when I need to provide transportation for others, or if the weather is terrible enough to put me in more danger than it's worth. I've gone bike-only and I didn't like it. Even if the weather wasn't a factor, I still really really enjoy owning a car.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I had a similar experience when my H2 was my main transportation commuting to college. I had a car available for times when the weather was bad, or I needed to carry cargo, etc.. I don't think I'd want to have to rely on others when I need to move a refrigerator or something like that.

Even now I don't use 4-wheeled vehicles much, but sometimes I need to.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #4
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I have a car as well as a bike, and I take the bike 99.99% of the time. I use the car when I need to provide transportation for others, or if the weather is terrible enough to put me in more danger than it's worth. I've gone bike-only and I didn't like it. Even if the weather wasn't a factor, I still really really enjoy owning a car.
Yeah, I agree. That is why I'm still torn. My heart tells me that "the less we have, the better life becomes". I know that is true, but there are times when a car/truck is very handy, like picking up someone at the airport with a big suitcase. Or buying a couple of 2x4s from the local lumber yard. Public transportation is almost non-existent where I live.

BUT, I also understand that to not have a car changes your life. And that is not always a bad thing...

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #5
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I had a similar experience when my H2 was my main transportation commuting to college. I had a car available for times when the weather was bad, or I needed to carry cargo, etc.. I don't think I'd want to have to rely on others when I need to move a refrigerator or something like that.

Even now I don't use 4-wheeled vehicles much, but sometimes I need to.
Yeah Jim, my little pickup has saved me more times than I care to remember. Maybe I should just keep it maintained in almost a stored condition and have it available when I can't get by without.

BUT, somehow I hate having to keep, store, maintain, insure, protect things that I don't use much.

I don't have a right answer here. Just curious what others think and do.

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Is there a place nearby that you can rent a pickup truck or van from? If so, the occasional cost of rental may be a lot lower than maintaining your pickup truck.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2017, 03:12 PM   #7
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I'd also like to bring up that minor injuries like a pulled muscle in the wrong spot, or a broken finger can make it difficult or impossible to ride a motorcycle reliably. It can also extend the healing period for the small injury you might have much longer than it needs to be, or almost indefinitely.

Hell, even with a broken arm, it's still very possible to drive an automatic transmission, and it's still easier to drive stick with a broken arm than a motorcycle. You need all your limbs and then some to be functioning when on two wheels. We're fragile, squishy creatures
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Is there a place nearby that you can rent a pickup truck or van from? If so, the occasional cost of rental may be a lot lower than maintaining your pickup truck.
Good point. Home Depot is just down the road and I think they post that you can rent one of their pickups for $20 dollars ($19.99) for the first 75 minutes.

Considering the cost of only my truck insurance for a year, I could rent a truck every so often and come out ahead. Then add in upkeep, tires, fuel, vehicle tags.

I am no fool. To change to living with only a motorcycle forces major lifestyle changes, no way around it. And if people hate those kinds of changes, then maybe the lifestyle is not for them. But for me, I like lifestyle changes. It makes me feel alive.

I don't plan any changes right away. I just wanted to discuss it here with others.

Peace

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #9
Jahntassa
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jahn

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r, 2001 Shadow ACE 750

Quote:
This. If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot nearby that rents trucks, it's not too expensive. Same thing if there's a U-Haul place, or even an Enterprise. Not sure if the 'We'll pick you up' thing happens everywhere or only certain places.

If you own the vehicle, though, and only need to pay insurance / registration, then it may be worth it to keep it for the future.
Jahntassa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I'd also like to bring up that minor injuries like a pulled muscle in the wrong spot, or a broken finger can make it difficult or impossible to ride a motorcycle reliably. It can also extend the healing period for the small injury you might have much longer than it needs to be, or almost indefinitely.

Hell, even with a broken arm, it's still very possible to drive an automatic transmission, and it's still easier to drive stick with a broken arm than a motorcycle. You need all your limbs and then some to be functioning when on two wheels. We're fragile, squishy creatures
Especially at my age(65+). *smile*

But, a life without challenges or "trials" is no life at all. Easier is not always better. But, what do I know.

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #11
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahntassa View Post
This. If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot nearby that rents trucks, it's not too expensive. Same thing if there's a U-Haul place, or even an Enterprise. Not sure if the 'We'll pick you up' thing happens everywhere or only certain places.

If you own the vehicle, though, and only need to pay insurance / registration, then it may be worth it to keep it for the future
Yes, I own my little truck.

Old May 11th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #12
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

On the subject of carrying things on my bike:

- I don't need to buy 12 rolls of toilet paper at a time, since I can go out whenever I want.
- I don't need bags of dog food, don't have a dog.
- Don't need a whole watermelon, when a cantaloupe will do fine.
- My trailer park has a laundry on site.
- I like to go out for breakfast most days.
- I try to buy fresh as I need it.
- I buy clothes usually from Goodwill and usually those are tee shirts and shorts.
- I don't drink pop and I will have a beer at a local watering hole if I want one.
- I can walk to the closest grocery store or pizza place if I need something larger.

BUT:

- My little truck was used to bring my 2 bikes home in a trailer when I bought them.
- Truck is nice when it rains.
- My little truck is a cheap way to drive across the country. Not too easy on my little Ninjette, but doable.
- Sometimes I need a ladder, a gallon of paint or a couple of 2x4s for my trailer or little shop.
- Sometimes people come visit from out of state and need to be picked up.

So, what am I saying? I don't really know....

Just talking.

Old May 11th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #13
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I have the same discussions with people about electric cars. People always want to focus on the things it can't do- road trips. Most households have a second vehicle, which can fill the holes the primary vehicle can't do. So to have a motorcycle as your only vehicle, but have someone else in the house who has a car, you're good.

Someone raised the idea of renting a vehicle when you need one, and that's a good one. Cars can be rented relatively cheaply, and you don't have to deal with it when you don't need it. Need a big vehicle, or one that carries a lot of passengers? Rent one!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I've been through the arithmetic with a couple different old people when it came time for them to sell their cars and stop driving. When you add up all the costs of owning and operating a car, you find you can call a cab quite a few times a year and still be way ahead. The biggest problem they had was giving up the perceived freedom.

I'm not calling anyone here old, by the way, and I hate euphemisms like "senior citizens". I'm getting old.

Old May 12th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #15
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've been through the arithmetic with a couple different old people when it came time for them to sell their cars and stop driving. When you add up all the costs of owning and operating a car, you find you can call a cab quite a few times a year and still be way ahead. The biggest problem they had was giving up the perceived freedom.

I'm not calling anyone here old, by the way, and I hate euphemisms like "senior citizens". I'm getting old.
Ha,ha. People shouldn't be ashamed of being called old. I like being old! I honestly am happier right now than I have been in my whole life! I have it made! I do what I want, when I want, because I want to. Everyone gets old, no way to avoid it. You might as well enjoy it.

Yes Jim, people see cars as freedom and the more that they have, the better they expect life to be. In my old age, I see it differently. I see that happiness comes from having the exact number of things we need in life. No more, no less. And the fewer things we can get along with, the easier, happier and less complicated life becomes.

We spend most of our lives buying, selling, trading, dumping, moving, maintaining, paying for and supporting "stuff" we don't even need.

But, suggest to people that they might consider getting rid of any of it and they come up with endless reasons why they need the "stuff" they collect.

My bike works for me. It's small, fuel efficient, easy to repair, light weight, cheap, disposable and it keeps me active.

I would give anything to live in a place like Europe where trains go everywhere and public transportation was close by. My little bike is the closest compromise I have found to not having public transportation available.

Old May 12th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #16
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I have the same discussions with people about electric cars. People always want to focus on the things it can't do- road trips. Most households have a second vehicle, which can fill the holes the primary vehicle can't do. So to have a motorcycle as your only vehicle, but have someone else in the house who has a car, you're good.

Someone raised the idea of renting a vehicle when you need one, and that's a good one. Cars can be rented relatively cheaply, and you don't have to deal with it when you don't need it. Need a big vehicle, or one that carries a lot of passengers? Rent one!
I would LOVE to be able to take a metro or public transportation to a train station or even the airport. From my house, way out in the suburbs, cabs charge $100 dollars to get to the airport and the AMTRAK is way out of town.

Why can't we buy a cheap, electric, easy to fix, lower level technology, open cockpit, 4 wheel vehicle for local commuting and shopping? We both know why don't we...

Or to be able to ride a bicycle to public transportation? Carrying a bicycle on the bus is a drag.

So, my little motorcycle is a good alternative for me right now. Or as you say, maybe renting a car when needed.

Old May 12th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #17
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

What I am talking about isn't just about cars.

The same madness has to do with cars, boats, bikes, dirt bikes, RVs, hot rods and other toys. Why do people need or want a big new expensive Harley with every possible gadget, technology or chrome part? They then haul it in a trailer behind their RV to group meets, drink beer and then haul it home with their air conditioned RV.

Hey, don't get me wrong, each to his own, but the question is, does it really make them happier? That it for them to decide.

I still fight the madness of consumerism daily myself.
But, I'm trying.

Old May 12th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #18
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
That's awesome that your little bike works for so much of your life. Life on two wheels!!!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #19
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
That's awesome that your little bike works for so much of your life. Life on two wheels!!!
Yeah Kerry. It fits my philosophy of life. It's not about a certain motorcycle model or type. I was just looking for a way to minimize, simplify and lower my cost of living. Not because I have to, but because I want to. In all honesty, it's all about self happiness.

I like to daypack travel. I like to carry almost nothing with me when I travel. I spent 2 months recently in Mexico and Belize travelling on buses with just a daypack with a few t-shirts, extra underwear and an extra pair of shorts. Slept in hostels when they felt safe. I washed my few clothes in the hostel/hotel sink at night. I ate local and never went to bars(bought beer from little stores). I simply loved it! I didn't have any reservations or schedule, I don't speak a word of Spanish.

I'm 65+ years old, over weight, not in great shape, but I love to live life to the fullest. I walked 800 miles of the Appalachian Trail over 4 months with only a backpack about 10 years ago.

I live in an old 1970s travel trailer in a 55+ RV park. Not because that is all I can afford, but because I can save my money to travel every so often. The answer is to live cheaply with little so you can afford more adventures when they present themselves.

People say to me, "Oh, I wish I could do that!" You can!!! Just set priorities in life.

Peace

Old May 12th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #20
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I've been moto only for brief periods in earlier times as a young person. It worked but had a lot of downsides: getting soaked and very cold in bad weather, limited passenger and cargo capabilities. Now as a homeowner, dad, husband , entrepreneur, etc. , I find I need a car or truck too often to be without one. Now that I am retired from full-time work I ride more than I drive and definitely agree that motorcycling is a great transportation mode if the condition permit it. Going moto only may work for you. I would look critically at how often you need your truck ,how much it costs to rent and how convenient is it. I also try to use bicycling as another transportation option but it is even more limited than moto only. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Old May 12th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #21
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

The quality of our lives is all about the choices that we make.

You must understand, there are no wrong choices! We learn from the good and the bad experiences equally well. But of course, we would prefer the good experiences. So, we must choose wisely.

No two people can or even should live life the same way. We must each walk our own path through life. The key is living life the way YOU want it to be. Sadly, very few people are wise enough or brave enough to do that.

But, since life is quite short, there is no time to waste any of it doing what others expect us to do. Do what you want! Go your own way! Be the person you want to be. Only then does happiness begin to appear in our life.

Peace

Old May 12th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #22
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I would never want to have a motorcycle as my own form of transportation. Even if I'm retired or if I'm able to use public transportation, I would still want a 4 wheeled vehicle just because I'm "lazy".

Bad weather? No problem. Cold? No problem. Need to run to the store and don't feel like spending 5 minutes to put on gear? No problem. Just walk out of the house in flip flops and shorts and hop into the car.

If your Taco is really old, maybe you may qualify for historic plates? Much less expensive to register and insure with historic plates.

I'm in a similar situation as you. My 1999 Toyota has 85k miles on it. Strong V8 motor and tranny. Maintained regularly. But I don't use it much unless I have to. I would prefer to use the bike. But for times like running errands, I would hate to do it on the bike. Have a large package to drop off at the post office? Need to do grocery shopping? I tried doing that via bike. It just wasn't fun. It became a chore because not only am I in full gear sweating my butt off, I also have to tie down a large box to the rear seat and then figure out how to safely ride with 4 Shoprite bags of groceries home.

I personally rather just make one trip to bang out all my cumbersome errands on 4 wheels, then take the bike out for a "fun" ride.

Old May 13th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #23
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I'm a lazy guy. After two years of wearing all the gear and constantly commuting through summer, rain, and snow, it's hard to go back from a heated seat.
I also like wearing sandals, if not for being lazy, it keeps my feet fresh.

With that said, I miss daily driving something that handles corners.

I think an MR2 will fill the gap. It's light, mid engined, and allegedly has a lot of trunk/frunk space for its size. A single person shouldn't need much more than that I think.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2017, 08:24 AM   #24
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Its always nice to have a back up just in case.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #25
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I've used 2-wheel vehicles as my primary transportation for most part of my life; human powered or mechanical powered.
Born in a country where 2-wheel vehicle outnumber cars, I used to sit on the tank of my dad's motorcycle with the whole family; by seven, my (10 year older) sister used to carry my other sister (4 year odler) and myself on a 50cc scooter zipping around town. Rain, shine, typhoon weather; that's just how island people get around.

I didn't get my first car until I was 23, before that I used to pedal 30-45 miles daily between school/work/home.
Currently, I'm pedaling about 6-8 miles daily in addition to train ride, or moto 18-20 mile daily.. driving a car during commute usually take 20-40 mins longer, parking the car takes additional 5-15 min to find a parking spot.
Rain, snow.. pedaling is still better.

Last futzed with by "A"; May 14th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2017, 01:50 PM   #26
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I use a scooter and motorcycle as primary transportation. My van died last year and I don't want to replace it. My scooter hauls the groceries and my motorcycle gets me places when I need to use the highway.

Old May 14th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #27
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

I used to only ride my first 250R as a daily commuter, but I eventually sold it at 34k miles. I picked up my current bike ~2 weeks ago and I've already put 350+ miles on it, even though I do own 2 other cars. The 250R, though not the best highway commuter, is just so much fun to ride that I find myself taking it out constantly, even for short trips where a car would be more convenient.

Old May 15th, 2017, 12:42 AM   #28
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
For about 3-yr at university and couple years after, bike was my only transport. Didn't have any difficulties although my life was simpler back then. Groceries wasn't problem, could get an entire week's worth using paniers from bicycle shop. Had rain suit for wet days.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2017, 04:50 AM   #29
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
My bike is my primary means of transportation. I only commute by bike and ride most places the rest of the time. I use my pickup truck for hauling large/heavy equipment, giving people rides, grocery shopping, and snow trips (and being lazy because I'm only going down the street). I could handle the grocery shopping with just the bike if I really tried to and I could stop offering people rides, but unfortunately the bike isn't ever going to handle stuff like a bass + amp + cab or a snowboard + gear + snow in general.

It's also nice when I'm in the middle of working on my bike and realize that I need to pick up parts, which happens way more often than it should lol.

Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:58 AM   #30
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I did that for years a while back. I was out there, rain, shine, and snow.

It was great and I loved it (the windshield made winter amazing, and I required much less warm gear).

If you ever need a truck for anything, you could always rent one.

The only issue I could see is maintenance. If you are somewhat close to your dealer, then you could use a bicycle (if I still had my bike, I could easily do that). But sometimes you really need that ONE PART and your bike is down. Then it sucks royally. lol

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2017, 07:34 AM   #31
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I'll never do it, even on the tenere which can haul lots of cargo and is set up for heated gear. It has most of the features that my car has, minus the roof.
I have a different mentality I guess, 2 of my 3 cars are paid for, and insurance is cheap (liability only). I love air conditioning when it gets hot, and heat when it gets cool. And a trunk, and not having to find a place to change and stash my $1000 worth of gear.....

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I say keep the truck. It's paid, cheap, and useful.

You're not a 16 y.o. kid scrimping by just to have transportation, you're a grown man; when it rains, you deserve to show up to the diner for breakfast without being sopping wet. I've done the motorcycle-only thing for 2 years when I started college. I won't do it again. I didn't have rain gear and I live where it snows, so I was always begging, borrowing, and tactically acquiring my parents cars, especially between October and May.

Just my thoughts. I think you 100% could do it, given your flexibility in retirement and being single, but... the inconvenience is hard to justify.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #33
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
the inconvenience is hard to justify.
The inconvenience was created for people to consume more.

Automobile culture in the US is not good for sustainability of human race.

Infrastructures in place do not promote the usage of bicycles or motorcycles to be safe among cars/trucks; therefore people are leaned towards buying new cars every few years, since their cars break down due to poor infrastructures conditions.

But people are forced to use cars because destinations are "difficult" or "inconvenient" to get to without cars; so you have to drive a car... it's all part of a plan to keep people slaving over wages and consume.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #34
Mohanad89
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mohanad

Motorcycle(s): Honda CBR 400RR, Yamaha R6, Honda CBR 1000 RR, Suzuki BKing.

Risky?

I have considered this option so many times, especially that the weather in Egypt is allows you to ride all year time. However, on the long run, you may need the car from time to time. Also, you will need the 4 wheels during some occasions that let's say for example requires a formal dress code where you can't risk going riding and messing up your suit.
Mohanad89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #35
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

I just recently paid off my Expedition and it's running kinda funky. Go figure she had ZERO problems through the 4yr loan and then as soon as I pay her off....issues. Pretty sure it's just an O2 sensor, I hope. I'm new to riding. Very new. Just got me a 250r and I'm in love. Eventually my expedition will be parked for the summer and my 250 is all I will be driving weather permitting. I honestly have no desire to drive a car or truck with a bike in my possession. I know that could be the newness of it all but I can't see me just falling out of love with riding. But I do think it is necessary to have a car/truck even if you never drive it. You will need it at some point.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote