ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 26th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #1
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
How to "Versys" your Ninjette?

So my wife and I had a trip for the first time, not too far around 60 km and she was not really keen on riding the ninjette again. According to her the riding position of the pillion is quite difficult and not comfortable at all. She mentioned for a bike with taller riding position, such as Versys, V-Strom and similar.

I contacted several bike dealers to trade-in the ninja, but all seems reluctant to trade with me since the financing for the bike is for 7 years (initially I was not planning to upgrade until i could afford a Concours 1400; and that would take me like about 10 years!). So I was left to either get another bike (which I could not afford at the moment) or to upgrade my ninjette to a tourer-prepared bike.

However, I never thought of converting my ninjette to a tourer-based bike, since I was focusing on race performance accessories and track bike or weekend-knee-dragging-ride.

I am lost and I don't really know what to upgrade / or how to upgrade so that the ninjette could at least reach the minimal comfort level of; let's-just-say-for-the-sake-of-example a Versys equivalent of riding position and comfort. Seat gels? Hard / soft side panniers? Taller touring windscreen?

Care to help me?

Old April 26th, 2017, 06:30 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Can you borrow a motorcycle that you think she'd be comfortable on and find out if she enjoys a longer ride? My wife will say that she enjoys riding passenger on my motorcycles, but even when she's on my Moto Guzzi Mille GT, which is a quite upright "standard" motorcycle with a comfortable seat, she prefers rides of 20 miles or so maximum.

I can't say that I blame her either. Riding passenger on a motorcycle is not something I'd want to do a lot of either. Some wives enjoy it, and some don't, and it would be a shame to make a lot of modifications to your bike, and then find out she's like my wife.

Another possibility is that she is too tense and holds on to you too tightly. My daughter, who in now licensed and drives instead of riding passenger, used to pull herself close to me, causing her back to arch backwards. When I suggested she relax and not try to stay so close, it made a big improvement in her comfort.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

So your bike is NOT designed to take a passenger, that being problem numeroono, the back seat is there for short hops or very small Japanese ladies, which is why I removed the pegs on mine !

Your wife or your description of her complaint is whoefully lacking in detail. Like sore bum, bad angles, knees to bent, sore arms etc. How many times has she been a pillion ? How frequently ? 60k's on her first go is probably way to much. Don't take this the wrong way but how fit is your wife, as in exercise fit ? How small is she ? If over 5'4" then probably to big & if over 120lbs probably to big ! For such a small bike.

I'd also advise not to attempt changing your bike dramatically until you have more details of her issues. Good luck.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Having hauled my wife around on some "full day" rides with our group, I will not hold back and tell you straight up.

1. A 250 is not designed to offer your passenger much more than what some might feel is much more than riding in the something near the fetal position. My wife and daughter, both sing the same song, it sucks....

2. Your passenger's comfort is what they make of it. If my 40yr old wife can go on a 8h ride (some of it ridden in anger), then younger passengers can suck it up some. It aint a couch with wheels, plain and simple.

3. Relax... is your passenger enjoying the ride? If not you may have to adjust and not expect someone to follow you in blind faith. But... but... but... it's my wife you might say. Yea.... so what? Fear has not any family.

4. Without extreme mods, you aint gunna make a 250 something it isn't. Your money would better spent on a bike built for the type of riding you want to do or.... get her own (cheaper option).

Good luck and hope you find a solution to your issues.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Some people hate riding pillion and are overjoyed by the thought. Others hate it. My sister detests it. I went on a date with a girl who absolutely loved it and was upset that the day was over. Although, I suspect that if she got her own bike she wouldn't be too keen on riding 2up anymore.

It does sound like a comfort issue, but I wouldn't invest in anything to make the passenger more comfortable on a Ninja 250. If taking a passenger is that important to you, this isn't the bike for you.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #6
Aidan
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Aidan

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250

I used to have a 2012 V-Strom. It was the business!
My wife used to ride with me occasionally and it was good.
Along came our daughter (which I'm genuinely very happy about).
I had to sell the V-Strom and now have a ZZR250 (in amazing condition).
I WOULD GIVE MY LEFT NUT TO HAVE THE V-STROM BACK!!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm learning to like my little ZZR, but it's worlds apart from a bike like the V-Strom or Versys. I'm not sure I'll ever get the Mrs on the back of the ninja and I'm not sure I want to either...

My 2c worth
Aidan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #7
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Triple Jim's idea seems do-able. My wife is around 165 cm tall, weighing around 48-52 kilograms. Her complaint was the positioning which is too lean to the rider, the back seat is too high resulting her being uncomfortable whilst being the pillion and having a backache too.

But then again, looking at her family only her father rides. And he rides a ducati. Almost all of her family is some what do not approve of motorcycles. My concern is that she might think that she wanted a tourer-adventure bike, but the reality is, she never liked riding..