Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 13th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - 100 Harley-Davidson Models in 10 Years: Keeping Track

100 Harley-Davidson Models in 10 Years: Keeping Track

Not too long ago, the folks at Harley-Davidson started making some pretty bold statements about the company’s future, promising to deliver 100 new models over the next 10 years.

That is a lot of bikes. A lot. It’s hard to imagine what Harley’s presently 37-model line-up will look like in 2027. We’d expect to see an electric bike or two; and it seems likely the company will continue its efforts to expand its appeal in markets outside the United States – most notably, Europe – with bikes like the Street Rod.

Don’t expect big V-twins to go anywhere, though. This is Harley, after all, and it seems certain that as long as V-twin bikes are allowed on the planet Earth, the MoCo will be making them.

To help us follow Harley’s progress over the next decade, we’ve decided to keep track via the list below. We’ll be updating it every time Harley-Davidson announces a new model, so be sure to bookmark this page. We’re excited to see what the future holds.
  1. Road King Special
  2. Street Rod
More from RideApart:
     Related Stories

Click here for full story...

Old May 14th, 2017, 05:15 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I don't get why people are so excited about Harley claiming 100 new models in 10 years.

Harley takes an existing bike, changes the chrome to black crinkle finish and the paint to a dull finish gives it a different name and "wow look at our new model"

Come on look at the Road Glide Special, They took the windshield off, changed the paint color, changed the chrome to black and it's a "new model".

Harley's core base of riders is getting older and older, they are buying fewer bikes, they need to make some changes to stay relevant, while not pissing off their current core market too badly. But the 100 new models is a lot of hype over nothing.

For my prognostications on new Harley models.

I see 2 or 3 variations of the electric bike.
I see a 2 or 3 Scrambler variations of the Street and Sportster
I see 4 valve per cylinder versions of the Sportster (currently 6 models, but if they make a 883 and a 1200 scrambler first, then upgrade them to 4 valves that's 10 new models)
I see the Milwaukee 8 engine being pushed out to all the current Dyna and Softail models (currently 16 models)
I see the blacked out treatment of the Road King Special being pushed out the the Street Glide and Road Glide (2 to 4 models)

Couple more versions of the trikes, maybe the black out treatment, maybe a windshield for fairing on the Freewheeler.

Then 4 valve per cylinder version of the Milwaukee 8 engine, needed to make the upcoming Euro 4 emissions spec.

Right there that is as many as 50 "New" models. I'm more than 1/2 of the way there and all of that could be done in the next 5 years easily.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #3
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Harley is a joke IMHO. They produce crappy low spec bikes and then use people's desire to buy American to sell them. Shame.

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #4
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
Harley is a joke IMHO. They produce crappy low spec bikes and then use people's desire to buy American to sell them. Shame.
Up until recently they have been a very successful joke.

They have concentrated on their core market and have been extremely successful at selling the lifestyle. Ducati and Triumph are catching up in that regards and the Japanese bike manufactures are still way behind. Their licensing agreements for HD items generates tons of money. How many people will get a "Honda" tattoo?

Problem is their core market is aging an they haven't changed to meet new demographics. Their challenge is to balance the need to design bikes that future generations of riders will want to buy without alienating their current core buyers.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #5
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Up until recently they have been a very successful joke.

Problem is their core market is aging an they haven't changed to meet new demographics. Their challenge is to balance the need to design bikes that future generations of riders will want to buy without alienating their current core buyers.
I think this issue is price as much as anything. Newer riders don't have the money to spend 10k plus on a new Harley. It's embarrassing the Ducati can make bike with high end specs like brembo brakes for a cheaper price than most Harleys.