ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 18th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Auston
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Auston

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki ninja 250r

2007 kawasaki ninja 250r dying randomly

Hi guys, new here and don't know forsure if I'm posting in the right place. so I currently own a 2007 Kawasaki ninja 250r. (15k miles) I'm having problems with it keeping a steady idle and it dying when I go to stop at a stoplight or stop sign. I don't want to run with the choke on but I can't figure out why it would randomly die and why I constantly have to mess with the idle. Not very mechanically inclined and this is my first bike so I'm learning as I go.. any constructive criticism and/or advice would be appreciated. Thankyou!
Posted via Mobile Device
Auston is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Hello Auston, it's good to meet you.

If the starter lever keeps it running, it's possible your carburetors have partially clogged pilot circuits. Also, having trouble getting a steady idle can indicate that the valves are out of adjustment. 15k miles is definitely enough to need a valve adjustment if it hasn't had one yet.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

This definitely sounds like dirty pilot jets, after what I've been through troubleshooting these bikes. I just finished buttoning up a giant carb job a few hours ago.

It's SUPER easy to fix, just make sure you give them a good cleaning and get all the gunk out. It never hurts to do the main jets too at the same time. There's a LOT of people who will say otherwise and recommend various fluids and additives, but I have learned that on these bikes, honestly, once you start showing signs of carb troubles, you just need to bite the bullet and clean the carb or it is like cancer and will just get worse and worse.

When I worked at BMW, we would take people aside and tell them if they wanted to avoid gunking up the carb in the first place, just use a nice fuel stabilizer ahead of time and try to keep fuel flowing through the bowl at least once every two weeks if they did not use any stabilizer in the fuel. It appears that on these carbs, it is the same story.

Good luck!

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.

Last futzed with by Demonik; May 18th, 2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: half thought not typed out
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2017, 02:33 AM   #4
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

+100 to what @Demonik said! Before you pull the carbs out you can try running some carb cleaner thru the motor in the fuel. Just pour it in the tank and take a long ride. I personally like Sea Foam but there are many brands out there that will get the job done for you. Don't cheap out here and buy the lowest price stuff you can find, do a little research and find some people say works. Should the carb cleaner in the gas fail to clean out the junk then you will have to pull the carbs and do a complete cleaning with spray carb cleaner. While you have the bike apart look for any loose hose clamps or disconnected hoses that may be causing a vacuum leak.

Good luck and let us know how you made out!
Ant

PS: There are many good write ups in the tech section if you don't know how to clean the carbs.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
There are a few simple things you can try before removing and cleaning the carbs.

If you think the gas may be old (more than a couple months tops), you could drain it completely and refill with fresh gas. Gas goes bad, and if the tank has been sitting with a low level for a while you could have moisture from condensation. Gas with ethanol goes bad quicker than gas without. Run ethanol-free if you can get it. It will make the fueling slightly richer, which will offset some of the lean adjustment from the factory.

Removing the idle mixture caps and adjusting the idle mixture is a good idea, but requires carb removal.

In the fresh gas I would add 1 oz per gal of Chevron Techron Concentrate. Its a strong fuel system cleaner. I run a tank each season in my F.I. bikes, but it doesn't hurt to run it in a carb occasionally as well.

I would also drain the float bowls when you drain the tank and look at the fuel for water and debris.

The Ninja is very picky about valve adjustment. If the valves are not adjusted within spec it will be difficult to get a smooth idle. The carbs may also need to be synced.

Here is a link to a technical section with more details - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote