ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 30th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Cplax92
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Slow speed maneuvers overheating

So recently I purchased an 09 ninja 250r as my first bike. I went up to where the local msf course was held and started practicing my figure 8's. After sometime I looked down and saw my idiot light on. I did not hear my fan turn on but I also never have so I'm not sure what it sounds like.

After the light kicked in I turned it off let it sit for a few minutes and took off never to see the light again for the rest of the day.(including no slow speed maneuvers for prolonged time).

I'm trying to figure out if this is a fan issue or if it is something else. Idk if it is the fan because it was below 60 degrees F and I was still moving just very slowly
Cplax92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

Keep an eye on your fan. Whenever you're at a stop light or doing those low-speed maneuvers, look down to see if the fan is spinning, especially when you see the light come on.

If the fan isn't spinning, it could be a bad sensor/switch.
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2017, 07:05 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Have you checked the oil and coolant levels?

Does the '09 have a "high temp warning light"? I didn't think it did.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Cplax92
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Have you checked the oil and coolant levels?

Does the '09 have a "high temp warning light"? I didn't think it did.
It does have a coolant light which I assume is more or less a temp light. Initially it came on more frequently so I did a coolant flush and realized there was very little coolant and it hasn't been an issue since, until yesterday. Once I started moving though the light never came back on even at lights.

From what I can tell the fan has not come on. How do you test which part of the fan is going bad. It does spin freely so it's not jammed

Old May 31st, 2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
If 12v applied to the fan motor makes it spin, it's OK. If 12v never gets to the fan, the temperature switch or wiring is bad. You could connect a test lamp to the fan motor terminals with it still connected as normal, and see if you can get the test lamp to come on. You could also take out the temp switch and put it in boiling water while reading its resistance, and see if it ever closes its contacts.

Or another simple test you devise.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2017, 12:50 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
If 12v applied to the fan motor makes it spin, it's OK. If 12v never gets to the fan, the temperature switch or wiring is bad. You could connect a test lamp to the fan motor terminals with it still connected as normal, and see if you can get the test lamp to come on. You could also take out the temp switch and put it in boiling water while reading its resistance, and see if it ever closes its contacts.

Or another simple test you devise.
Those would be the first tests.

I'm pretty sure you could ground the wire that goes to the temperature sending unit and that would make the fan start (ignition ON, but engine doesn't need to be running, and after you've confirmed that the fan will run when powered).

If that does start the fan, it would tell you the temperature sending unit is bad.

Old May 31st, 2017, 02:15 PM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Welcome to the board!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Cplax92
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Will test out in a couple days when I'm off and will update.

Off topic question: I have a hand full of questions regarding this bike. I'm trying to figure out if the chain needs replacing or the tires because they have cracks in the sidewalk. Is it frowned upon to keep posting topics in regards to these questions or just make one topic with all questions

Old June 1st, 2017, 09:43 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

The advantages of making separate threads as new questions arise are less confusion, and if you make good thread titles, others can find them later if they have the same questions.

Cracks in the sidewalk? Those are expansion joints. Cracked sidewalls are a sign of deterioration of the rubber, but it's up to you to decide when you're not confident in the tires any more. Depending on how bad they are, it might be time to get new, safer tires.

Here's some good information about chains: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Final_Drive

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2017, 11:19 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
There's no question in my mind about tires in that condition - they should be replaced immediately or sooner.

Old June 1st, 2017, 11:29 AM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It just depends on if they're a few slight, almost microscopic cracks or bigger ones that indicate serious deterioration. Without closeup photos, I don't know which it is.