ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

What to expect on track days

I was going to ask folks on here what us new riders can expect when we go out to the track, but I found this after playing with google a little. Check it out...if you have other advise you can add, please feel free.

http://www.startriding.com/?p=225
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:22 PM   #2
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Hey Paulette, the write-up you found is pretty good. I just skimmed it. I run track days wit Pacific Track Time and have done hundreds of track days. I should be able to answer any specific questions you have.

One thing you can also do is to go out to a track day and spectate. In most cases it doesn't cost anything to go out and spectate (Buttonwillow charges a $10 gate fee). You can sit through the riders meeting, ask questions of the organizers and learn a lot.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Blackwidow

no other questions come to mind at the moment....seems most of my questions are answered...i'm sure some will come later.

didn't realize how expensive it is...sheesh.

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

As everyone says on my local forum, take a look at your bank account, it will never be that high again once you start doing track days/races.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Blackwidow

but apparently its well worth it if people keep ranting and raving about track days. shyt...they should pay me to ride my lil devil on their track. looool

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Blackwidow

so heres a question, if i wear my jacket and some jeans they won't allow me on the track? if its suppose to be safer, why do they require a full body suit?

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

The reason it is safer is because you don't have the usually obstacles that are on the road, cars, potholes, sand etc. They require a full suit to minimize the risks to them. You are pushing the bike hard and stand a chance of going down at faster speeds than street. We all know how well jeans will hold up in a crash especially at higher speeds.

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM   #8
2WheelGuy

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
so heres a question, if i wear my jacket and some jeans they won't allow me on the track? if its suppose to be safer, why do they require a full body suit?
Track days are considered Performance Riding Schools. Much different than a casual street ride down to Starbucks. You are not less likely to fall, just less likely to get hurt when you do.

The equipment requirements are mandated by the insurance company. I like the full leather requirement as one of my jobs is to pick up crashed riders. Full equipment keeps me from having to deal with bloody messes.

Track whores like myself tend to prefer one-piece suits but street riders new to the track can get double duty out of two piece suits. Leathers are expensive. My last suit cost $699 and was the least expensive good suit I could find. The #1 reason people give me for not doing track days is the cost of leathers. Some places do rent leathers. Here in the SF Bay we have Helimot who rents suits for $75. Take a look around there may be a similar place in LA.
AFM #278

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:35 PM   #9
2WheelGuy

Quote:
didn't realize how expensive it is...sheesh.
I know someone willing to barter for track days
AFM #278

Old August 31st, 2010, 01:42 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to ninjettes at speed

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:33 PM   #11
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Craig, question to you, as being a exp'd trackday racer!

So, I'm looking at my calendar and Oct. 2nd-3rd 2010 @ Gingermann raceway in south haven, Mi. (sat/sun) coming up, looks to be the best time ill be able to do my First Trackday.

I was wondering, that if Oct.s tempretures are normal, wouldnt it be Better to do trackdays on the "warmer" months, say June-Aug. for better grippy-er traction with the tires?

I dont have money to piss away on tire warmers, nor "rent" them if they are offered at my local track.

So, would i be able to ride hard and fast in Oct. as long as i go easy the first few laps to warm the tires up, or it dont matter much, its still OCT. and temps are cooler???

thanks

- SN
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Should I go ahead and plug for trackskinz leathers, full 1 piece or two piece suits for under $400, they have been proven as well.

Old August 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM   #13
2WheelGuy

Dave, I can't really help you with weather in Michigan as I am in California. Here the weather is usually really nice in October but there is always a chance of rain at the end of the month.

I don't really see the need for tire warmers at track days. I own tire warmers and only use them when I race and need to go fast right out of the gate.

My recommendation is to take 2-3 slow laps first thing in the morning and again after the lunch break to get your tires up to temperature. Then you can put the hammer down. In the morning you should take a few slower laps even with tire warmers as you need to blow the cobwebs out and get your brain up to speed.

During the day when you go back out remember that your tires have cooled down while in the paddock so take it easy the first couple left turns and the first couple right turns to get both sides of the tire warmed back up before hitting it hard.

A cool October track probably isn't as grippy as a hot July track but the reality is that unless you are running lap times near a class winning race pace you probably won't notice the difference. Go and are take a little time to warm your tires and have fun. Spend your tire warmer money on getting the best tires you can for your bike and on doing more track days.
AFM #278

Old August 31st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #14
Blackwidow

one of the requirements to go on track in the link i provided said that you have to take the coolent out and replace with water. Is this really a strict rule? Seems like a lot of work just to go riding on a track.

Old August 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Track days; the most nervous, excited, scared, thrilled, happy you have been since you got your bike.

It will make you a better rider.

Old August 31st, 2010, 03:59 PM   #16
2WheelGuy

Every track day provider has its own set of rules. Most track day providers do require that you replace the coolant with water. My group, Pacific Track Time does NOT have this requirement.

Track days evolved from racers "test days". When I started at the track only people with a valid racing license could ever turn a wheel on a race track and only with a fully prepared race bike. Test days were offered by the race track to racers; no turn workers, no ambulance, no organization. On my first test day I shared the track with a Nascar and a Gokart. When track days started in the 90's they allowed non-racers access to the track with some organization but many of the old race prep rules remained.

When we took over Pacific Track Time in 2003 we set out to streamline the rules and make it as easy as possible for anyone to get out on the track while keeping it safe. We don't require any safety wire or removal of coolant. The only rules we have beyond the motorcycle being safe is: tape or unplug the tail light and tape or remove the mirrors. People tell us that coolant is unsafe as it is as slippery as oil but in the last 7 years we have only had one coolant spill on the track. It was about 12" in diameter and we got it cleaned up in 10 minutes.
AFM #278

Old August 31st, 2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Blackwidow

what do your orientation classes consist of? (i was checking out your website )

Old August 31st, 2010, 04:35 PM   #18
2WheelGuy

Our standard orientation class is a 20-30 minute class held after the riders meeting. It is intended for first time track riders and goes over the basics and what to expect at that track. We try and not overwhelm new riders with too much information. We have staff such as myself available all day to answer questions and help you on track. If you came to one our events with your 250 I'd be the one working with you as I know the bike well and almost always have one at the track.
AFM #278

Old August 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
one of the requirements to go on track in the link i provided said that you have to take the coolent out and replace with water. Is this really a strict rule? Seems like a lot of work just to go riding on a track.
Here in California one doesn't need to run antifreeze to protect their bike, so switching it out from the coolant to distilled water plus a smidge of water wetter only has to happen once. You can run it like that on the street all year long here with zero consequences. All of my track bikes have used only that their entire lives, you just have to flush it out every year or so (given moderate use), but it's really not terribly difficult or lengthy.

There's no need to switch out the coolant the day before the trackday, and switch it back to coolant right after, that's for sure.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2010, 07:30 PM   #20
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
I've also heard from many a racer a bike will run cooler with just water + wetter in the system....

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2010, 02:04 AM   #21
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
I've also heard from many a racer a bike will run cooler with just water + wetter in the system....
this is true, my bike did for sure.

Also they forgot one thing you should be ready for at the track: crashing.

This means not just equipment, but it also means physically, mentally and monetarily. If you have bird bones, get concussions putting your head on the pillow at night, and are uninsured, probably not your gig. Mentally meaning you have to be ready to accept that you can get hurt, the consequences it can have on you and your family, and that you may end the day minus a motorcycle. And monetarily is pretty obvious, replacing damaged gear and equipment isn't cheap. Neither are tires.

If you live paycheck to paycheck, have twelve little kids at home and you're the only earner in the house with two mortgages, a bunch of car payments and six wives, re-consider your choices here.
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2010, 03:22 AM   #22
DCBenson
ninjette.org member

Name: DC

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (street) / 2009 Ninja 250R (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Craig, question to you, as being a exp'd trackday racer!

So, I'm looking at my calendar and Oct. 2nd-3rd 2010 @ Gingermann raceway in south haven, Mi. (sat/sun) coming up, looks to be the best time ill be able to do my First Trackday.

- SN
Great news, Dave! You won't be the only 250 there in Oct. I'll be there too and its my first track day also.
DCBenson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2010, 06:26 AM   #23
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
A major factor in having fun during a trackday is being in shape. You will be exhausted by the end of the day. The better shape you are in the better your concentration will be.

Old September 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM   #24
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexbo View Post
this is true, my bike did for sure.

Also they forgot one thing you should be ready for at the track: crashing.

This means not just equipment, but it also means physically, mentally and monetarily. If you have bird bones, get concussions putting your head on the pillow at night, and are uninsured, probably not your gig. Mentally meaning you have to be ready to accept that you can get hurt, the consequences it can have on you and your family, and that you may end the day minus a motorcycle. And monetarily is pretty obvious, replacing damaged gear and equipment isn't cheap. Neither are tires.

If you live paycheck to paycheck, have twelve little kids at home and you're the only earner in the house with two mortgages, a bunch of car payments and six wives, re-consider your choices here.
Isn't that true for motorcycling in general?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM   #25
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
A major factor in having fun during a trackday is being in shape. You will be exhausted by the end of the day. The better shape you are in the better your concentration will be.
ya that link mentioned the same thing, i just don't get. if you're on a clean, nice road with no worries about traffic or any croop on the track then why would someone be so tired? All you're doing is going at higher speeds and making left and right turns. I would think you'd be more exhausted on an actual street having to concentrate sooo much.

Old September 1st, 2010, 08:51 AM   #26
Blackwidow

another question (i told you i'll come up with questions )

do you need special tires for the track? or would my stock tire be good enough?

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:10 AM   #27
backinthesaddleagain

Paulette I haven't done any track days but have been to the track. A couple factors will be higher speeds, higher adrenaline, more turns with less time between turns (left, right, left quick transitions). When I raced mx I remember the beginner class on my first day was a 4 lap race. someone's father said don't worry about where you finish, just worry about finishing the race. didn't make sense to me until I finished the race, but it was more exhausting then all the trail riding and mx practice I had ever done. My 2 cents!

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM   #28
2WheelGuy

Quote:
another question (i told you i'll come up with questions )

do you need special tires for the track? or would my stock tire be good enough?
The short answer is YES.

I recommend you put on a set of Bridgestone BT-003 tires. I've raced on these and have a set on one of my street bikes.

Over 80% of the crashes at our track days are on street type tires. All that holds you to the track at 100 miles per hour are a couple of credit card sized pieces of rubber. Shouldn't that be the best rubber you can get?

I hear all the time, "I'm just riding slow in the C group. I don't need race tires." That may be true most of the time, but what about the one time you make a mistake and take a turn faster than you meant to? You are going to need good rubber as you white knuckle your way through that turn going fast than you ever though you could.

We have a lot of street tire crashes in the afternoon. As people get comfortable on the track they naturally start going faster. Race type tires are designed to work best when they are hot while street type tires overheat and become greasy.

One of the big differences between street and race type tires is feel. Race tires will slide before they let go. When you first slide race tires you will say to yourself, "Oh **** I'm crashing...**** I'm still crashing...I didn't crash! Cool, I'll go a little slower through that turn next time." Street tires will just let go and land you on your ass wondering "What just happened?"

I recently worked with a girl at Buttonwillow raceway. She was riding a 250 and it was her first day at the track. By the end of the day we were riding at a pace that was fast enough for her to not finish last in a 250 Production race. She was being held back by her tires.

There is a real mental factor that comes into play with good tires. If you take to the track with your street tires this post will be in the back of your head. You will be wondering about your tires and you will be afraid to push it. On the other hand if you've got a set of tires that are favored by lots of racers you can put those worries to rest and focus on yourself. That is where the fun begins.
AFM #278

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:34 AM   #29
backinthesaddleagain

So Craig am I correct that different tires have different "operating ranges"? A street tire would perform best in a certain temp range, and a race tire would perform best in a higher temp range. That said on race/track day you use tire warmers to get the tires at least close to that range, but on a hot day, such as Indy for the Moto GP the track is so hot even all out race slicks start to fade performance wise as the temps get above their operating range?

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:43 AM   #30
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
ya that link mentioned the same thing, i just don't get. if you're on a clean, nice road with no worries about traffic or any croop on the track then why would someone be so tired? All you're doing is going at higher speeds and making left and right turns. I would think you'd be more exhausted on an actual street having to concentrate sooo much.
Greg summed it up, you are running on full adrenaline 100% of the time. On the street you have times when you are relaxed and more calm (at least you should be). On the track you will have to even remember to breathe.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; September 2nd, 2010 at 01:26 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM   #31
2WheelGuy

Heat is just one of the many factors that go into tire design. Street tires are designed to operate adequately over a wide range of conditions: rain, dry, hot , cold, etc. Street tires also sacrifice grip for tread life. Race type tires don't last as long and have little tread to deal with rain.

Think of street tires as "Jack of all trades, Master of none."

DOT race tires are all about grip and feel at speed with just enough to be street legal.
AFM #278

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM   #32
backinthesaddleagain

thats right the street tire will have deeper treads to channel water out, at the reduction of grip. Thanks Craig.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #33
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Paulette you will be amazed with how your body crashes after major adrenline rushes. When I went sky diving last weekend I was pumped all the way up there and even still on that high a few hours after that jump. However once my body had time to wear down I was exhausted and my body crashed. It wasn't just me but also my friend too.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM   #34
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Paulette if you sign up for the Harris Riding Academy you will get free track days at any PTT site except Laguna.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM   #35
Blackwidow

if you have the link, can you send it to me? please? thanks for the heads up...good lookin out!