ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
47ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Throttle Blip and Bigger Bikes

So I was thinking about this the other day while riding... When throttle blipping to downshift on the ninjette, every once in a while, I rev a little too high, especially when I was first starting out. This obviously causes the bike to lurch a little bit, but given the low power of the 250, it's usually just a minor jolt and nothing that compromises safety. In fact, I feel like with the ninja, you can really crank the wrist while blipping and not get into any trouble. I'm wondering if this creates bad habits if I ever move up to a 600 cc bike. I would imagine that the same blip that might cause a little shake to the ninja could cause a loss of the control of a bigger bike.

Any thoughts? Especially from people who have experience with bigger bikes?
47ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

It takes a lot less effort and time to blip the ZX6R - the slipper clutch also helps. I noticed that it took a lot of throttle on the 250r to blip properly.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:18 PM   #3
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Its funny saying this, but its true...its harder to blip on the streets than it is on the track.

But to answer your question, I remember blipping downshifting my D675 on the street and it was hard to get right. I had the same problem where I blipped too much and it lurched forward.

On the track since you're already on the higher rpm range riding its very hard to overrev and lurch forward. If anything you may not blip enough and the rear wheel my dance just a tad.
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Its funny saying this, but its true...its harder to blip on the streets than it is on the track.

But to answer your question, I remember blipping downshifting my D675 on the street and it was hard to get right. I had the same problem where I blipped too much and it lurched forward.

On the track since you're already on the higher rpm range riding its very hard to overrev and lurch forward. If anything you may not blip enough and the rear wheel my dance just a tad.
All true.... but maybe to address your concerns directly. Over reving the blip is not really a huge deal unless your on a slippery/loose surface or have a spent/really cold tire.

It also shouldn't create to much of a bad habit either. The reason I say this is because a 600 will quickly let you know it don't need that much throttle to do much of anything on the street. So the habit of using alot of throttle to blip quickly goes away as the rider adjusts to the throttle response of a bigger bike. They go hand and hand.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote