ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #1
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Upshifting sticks

So i've been having this issue sporadically. I'll be going 30-40 MPH then upshift, but it seems it gets stuck half way and will almost act as if it's in neutral. If I give it any throttle it will rev the engine and almost certainly redline it each time.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
ryan.chin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #2
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Adjust the gear shift lever... that is caused by your foot not getting a full shift complete.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
adjust the gear shift lever. also switch to gp shift cause its better.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Happens to me all the time. It's quite annoying. Also, often I think I'm in first and I'm in neutral (but the dummy light doesn't come on.)

And, sometimes I can't get it to go into neutral at all.

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it can be pretty bad to shift incorrectly and will lead to damage (ask me how i know) so sort it out asap

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
Happens to me all the time. It's quite annoying. Also, often I think I'm in first and I'm in neutral (but the dummy light doesn't come on.)

And, sometimes I can't get it to go into neutral at all.
Be in first and stopped. Press up on the shifter. You are now in neutral
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Duh...lol that doesn't work...obvi!

What happens is when I come to a complete stop (stop sign, traffic light, for example) as I approach the stop and slow down (usually by engine braking) but as I'm just about to stop I step all the way down so I'm in 1st.

When I start to take off...the bike won't move. I will stomp, stomp, stomp to get into first and it won't take. If I push my bike forward or back then it will go into 1st. Now I just have to get into the habit to consciously make sure I push down extra hard before I completely stop while the tires are still moving a little bit.

As for getting it in neutral, same thing. I'll be in first, I'll bump it up to neutral, I actually feel it go in, but the light will not come on. So I'll bump it again, and feel that 'bump', and still, no light, not in neutral...after this for about 5 minutes I just say screw it and turn the bike off. It's annoying because sometimes at a long stop light I'd like to relax my clutch hand but the bike just will not cooperate with me.

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

What happens is when I come to a complete stop (stop sign, traffic light, for example) as I approach the stop and slow down (usually by engine braking) but as I'm just about to stop I step all the way down so I'm in 1st.

When I start to take off...the bike won't move. I will stomp, stomp, stomp to get into first and it won't take. If I push my bike forward or back then it will go into 1st. Now I just have to get into the habit to consciously make sure I push down extra hard before I completely stop while the tires are still moving a little bit.
Release the clutch into the friction zone and it should engage.

Quote:
As for getting it in neutral, same thing. I'll be in first, I'll bump it up to neutral, I actually feel it go in, but the light will not come on. So I'll bump it again, and feel that 'bump', and still, no light, not in neutral...after this for about 5 minutes I just say screw it and turn the bike off. It's annoying because sometimes at a long stop light I'd like to relax my clutch hand but the bike just will not cooperate with me.
Kawasaki has something called a positive neutral finder. Basically what it does is if you are stopped in first and try to click up it won't go to second but instead will go to neutral. It makes getting to neutral alot easier. Maybe your neutral light is just bugged out?

Didn't they teach you in the MSF not to trust the neutral light?
AFM #676

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Yes, they did teach us that, and I never trust it. I always check it by letting out on the clutch. When I release the clutch and give it gas and it does not move that tells me I'm in neutral, even though the dummy light isn't on. That's when you see me sitting there trying to get it to go into first, then rolling the bike forward or back, until I get that distinctive "pop!" that its finally in 1st.

The experience isn't fun until you have the impatient cars behind you wondering wth is going on.

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #10
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I had a friend with this problem, he would think he was in first because he kicked down and it doesnt click, I adjusted his clutch cable for him, since my theory was that if he doesnt feel a click, he thinks hes in first gear, or in 6th gear and the reason it wont shift is because the clutch isnt fully disengaged, so try adjusting the clutch cable
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

What you're experiencing is called a "false neutral." My first question is how many miles on the oil? If it's newer oil, I suggest you adjust your shift lever more downwards, so you get a better "bite" on it with your foot.

Old August 7th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
When I start to take off...the bike won't move. I will stomp, stomp, stomp to get into first and it won't take.
Don't do this. If you are forcing it, whether it's working or not, you can bend the shift forks. At that point it just goes downhill making shifting hard in all cases, and eventually transmission repair.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
I had a friend with this problem, he would think he was in first because he kicked down and it doesnt click, I adjusted his clutch cable for him, since my theory was that if he doesnt feel a click, he thinks hes in first gear, or in 6th gear and the reason it wont shift is because the clutch isnt fully disengaged, so try adjusting the clutch cable
I'm starting to wonder if what I'm describing makes sense. Because what you all are telling me makes sense, but it doesn't make sense to my concern. LOL

Say for example, I come to a quick stop. In MSF, they teach you 'all down'. So I will squeeze in my clutch, my brake, step all the way down on both feet. I step down on my left foot until it won't go down anymore. At this point, I'm assuming I'm in first.

Then the light turns green, I start to take off...I don't. I'm in neutral. I step down again, still won't go. I roll the bike forward or back (depends on if I'm on a hill or not) just a little bit. Enough to make the tire turn 1/4 of the way, then I step down and get that 'pop' and then I can take off.

(So @DennyV you're saying if we adjust the clutch cable, that should fix this? I am just trying to understand I'm understanding you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
What you're experiencing is called a "false neutral." My first question is how many miles on the oil? If it's newer oil, I suggest you adjust your shift lever more downwards, so you get a better "bite" on it with your foot.
When I pull into my garage to park, I like to put the bike in neutral. So, usually in first gear (I wait for the garage door to open) and I roll on in. When I stop inside, I want to go into neutral. Often times, the bike will not. I'll feel it bump and I'll bump it up several tries even to what I am thinking I'm probably in 3rd gear, then go back down...no neutral. It's like, it doesn't exist. That's when I'm like, screw it, leave it in gear, and shut the bike off.

My bike is brand new - I haven't had my first service yet and I have a little over 700 miles on it.

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Don't do this. If you are forcing it, whether it's working or not, you can bend the shift forks. At that point it just goes downhill making shifting hard in all cases, and eventually transmission repair.
I'm not stomping to break it, I'm just stepping on it like normal. Oyyy, I'm so frustrated just trying to explain this.

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #15
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:

I found my fix for this issue was to shift as I slow down...Coming to a stop (or nearly) then shifting doesn't allow it to go into 1st w/o rolling the bike.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if what I'm describing makes sense. Because what you all are telling me makes sense, but it doesn't make sense to my concern. LOL

Say for example, I come to a quick stop. In MSF, they teach you 'all down'. So I will squeeze in my clutch, my brake, step all the way down on both feet. I step down on my left foot until it won't go down anymore. At this point, I'm assuming I'm in first.

Then the light turns green, I start to take off...I don't. I'm in neutral. I step down again, still won't go. I roll the bike forward or back (depends on if I'm on a hill or not) just a little bit. Enough to make the tire turn 1/4 of the way, then I step down and get that 'pop' and then I can take off.

(So @DennyV you're saying if we adjust the clutch cable, that should fix this? I am just trying to understand I'm understanding you.)

When I pull into my garage to park, I like to put the bike in neutral. So, usually in first gear (I wait for the garage door to open) and I roll on in. When I stop inside, I want to go into neutral. Often times, the bike will not. I'll feel it bump and I'll bump it up several tries even to what I am thinking I'm probably in 3rd gear, then go back down...no neutral. It's like, it doesn't exist. That's when I'm like, screw it, leave it in gear, and shut the bike off.

My bike is brand new - I haven't had my first service yet and I have a little over 700 miles on it.
It shouldn't be possible to shift gears when you are at a stop. You should only be able to switch between first and neutral. Sometimes when I'm in neutral I'll be stuck in neutral and it won't shift while sitting still. To remedy this I will either roll a bit forward like you and press down, or while pressing down slowly release the clutch and it will engage first.

When you think you are clicking up and up and its not going anywhere, slowly release the clutch and see if you are actually in gear. I'm going to bet that you are in neutral and your neutral light is just wacky.
AFM #676

Old August 7th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #17
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I do that too - pull in clutch, start downshifting with clutch in, brake to a stop. When I should be in first when I'm stopped I release clutch slightly, depress clutch, press down on shifter and then the gear will engage and snikt into place.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #18
MrTsquared903
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
So i've been having this issue sporadically. I'll be going 30 then upshift, but it seems it gets stuck half way and will almost act as if it's in neutral. If I give it any throttle it will rev the engine and almost certainly redline it each time.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14SOtsUQDqY
MrTsquared903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #19
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Fixed it! Super easy.
ryan.chin is offline   Reply With Quote