Notices

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
krbreton
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): '97 Ninjette, '06 Ninja 650R

Cool Bike finally ready to rock and roll

All-

Felt like I had to share my story. My wife doesn't want to hear anything more about motorcycles, and I think my friends are getting bored of hearing me talk about them too...

With help from the Ninja 250 FAQ and some advice here, I finally got my '97 Ninjette running smooth, sprung properly, and ready to go.

I bought the bike (Trixie is her name) about two months ago (first bike in a long time), and when I showed it to a buddy who races AFM, he immediately started talking about all of the things we had to change or fix. (Silly racers, always looking to go faster :-) ) After getting the requirements out of the way (new oil/filter, fix a leaking gasket on the left engine cover, valve check/adjust, carb cleaning, idle mixture adjust, carb sync, etc), it was on to the suspension.

I bought an '89 Ninja ZX600 shock off e-bay from cyclestripper in Texas (nothing but good things to say here - quick shipping, good part, etc.) I drained and replaced the oil, and then mounted the shock. It's worth noting that, counter to the FAQ instructions, the shock does not fit up through the bottom of the bike. I had to remove the fender completely and then drop the shock in from the top. (And, for reference, I ended up with about 250mL of oil, and about 18psi in the shock to make everything feel perfect.)

I also ordered some .75kg/mm springs for the front forks from Sonic Springs. Great customer service here - they even caught my mistake in ordering only one pint of fork oil and fixed the order for me. Shipping took forever, but that's not their fault - UPS is crazy slow right now. Last night I finally got the springs and finished up draining and cleaning the forks and then setting the spacers and putting in the new springs. (Oil level of 115mm here - as suggested in the great instructions that came with the springs, and about 18mm of preload )

Unfortunately, by the time I got done (the springs didn't show up until 7:15 pm), the sun was almost gone, so I only got to ride the bike around the block a few times but wow, what a difference. I am headed up to the Santa Cruz mountains with a friend this weekend and I can't wait. The change in suspension is almost indescribable, it's so cool.

Thanks to everyone for their help and thanks to the Ninja 250 community for maintaining such a great technical knowledge repository. I hope to be at the 6/27 Bay area Ninjette ride and get to meet some of you!

-Kyle
krbreton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Glad it's up and running!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Good to hear. Now its time to ride.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Good deal, sounds like you put plenty of work into it, I hope it all pays off for you!