Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Group Rides and Local Events

Notices

Old May 31st, 2016, 09:20 AM   #1
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Vetter Fuel Economy Challenges; Hollister CA 7/2/16, Mid-Ohio 7/10/16

It's competition time for us moto hypermilers but as always all motorcyclists are invited to join in the fun as we ride to push motorcycling performance into a new and different direction. The rides are fun and filled with great scenery and comradery.

The first 2 events of the 2016 season will be held at :

July 2 ,2016 as a part of the Hollister Rally events, meet at the Corbin Seat Factory, 2360 Technology Pkwy., Hollister CA 95023 with a full tank before the start at 11AM. The route will be around 100 miles.

July 9,2016, as a part of the AMA Vintage Days events, meet at the Comfort Inn Splash Harbor Motel , Lexington OH at 5 pm for the riders meeting and tech inspection.
July 10, 2016, meet at Splash Harbor motel at 7:30 AM for the Challenge start at * AM. The route will be around 160 miles.

Craig Vetter is still recovering from his collision with a deer but we hope to keep his dream alive promoting motorcycles that are efficient, relevant and fun. For more information on the Vetter Challenge go to www.craigvetter.com

I had a good 2015 season with 2 second places overall ( 163 mpg and 152 mpg ) but I hope to return to the winner's circle in 2016. Competition will be tough against Alan Smith, Terry Hershner and Fred Hayes but it will be fun !
Wish me luck, I hope to see you at these rides.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old May 31st, 2016, 09:50 AM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Hurm, I fly back into Reno on the 1st....

Not that my measly little 65mpg is going to mean anything in that crowd though!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 10:00 AM   #3
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
@greenaero Good luck and safe passage.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #4
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Hi, I'm sorry about this late report. I finally finished it so here it is.

On July 3rd I got up early and rode the streamliner down to Hollister from my home in Livermore, around 90 miles. The weather was clear but a bit windy. I got to the Corbin Seat Factory in Hollister for the start of the Vetter Challenge and found I was the first competitor there. Mike Corbin greeted me and I got to check out his Sparrow (electric 3- wheeler, very cool). Other competitors trickled in and I found I was the only fully streamlined competitor but there were at least 4 Zeros including Electric Terry Hershner, a Honda CBR300R and a 125 cc scooter. The other riders were on larger motos (2 Ducati’s, a 1200 Gold Wing, a DZR 400, etc.). We started a bit late after the posted noon start and rode through heavy traffic and windy roads to our lunch stop at the Carmel Airport. The pace was pretty fast and the group got separated a few times. We met the Vetter’s at the airport for our lunch and recharging stop. It was great to visit with Craig, Carol and Morgan. Craig addressed the attendees was pleased at the turnout. After a long lunch we returned to the Corbin Factory under similar conditions and refueled. I had a run of 101 mpg for the ~ 130-mile Challenge. Gasoline was ~$3.85/gallon so my result was 3.8cents/mile. I was the conventional fuel winner but one of the electric motos was the overall winner. Not a great run for me but a win is still a win. I think the wind, frequent stops, and fast pace kept me from getting great fuel economy in this Challenge. It also made me wonder if I had prepped my moto as well as I could.
Current Vetter Challenge event planning allows the electrics to recharge during the stops enough so that they can finish and that favors the electric powered with the current price of electricity.
After lots of visiting and enjoying the other moto sights of the Hollister Rally, I rode home and began packing for the Mid-Ohio Vetter Challenge on July10. I left July 4 on the long drive trailering my streamliner. I stopped in Missouri to visit with Diesel Fred Hayes and to pick up some streamliner parts that Fred was donating to the Virginia Tech team. I made to the MidOhio Area by Thursday afternoon and met up with Alan Smith. On Friday we met with fellow Challenge planner Kraig Schultz to ride the proposed course. The route was mostly backroads through the beautiful Ohio forests and farmlands. It was a good ride but had a bit too many stops and course changes. After that we proceeded to the AMA Vintage Days event where Kraig, Alan, Scott Endler and I were doing a presentation on the Vetter Challenge and motorcycle efficiency. It was better attended than I expected and we had lots of interest and good questions.

I left the Vintage Days events and did the final prep of my moto for the Challenge. I found my rear axle alignment marks were off and I suspect this was a factor in my disappointing Hollister Challenge performance.

We gathered the next morning at the start of the Challenge and topped off our bikes. We rode the first about a quarter of the distance to a small town park that Kraig had reserved a spot for us to enjoy breakfast and the electric motos to recharge. Kraig interviewed all the competitors to post on his website. We then proceeded on the AMA Museum for our lunch stop and another recharge for the electrics. The weather was perfect unlike last year when it rained through most of the ride. After our recharge and lunch break we a slightly different route back to our starting point in Belleview. One electric quit as we could not make the ~68-mile distance. On the way back, both Vectrex electric scooters were disqualified; one due to a problem that brought it to a stop and the other was low on charge and had to slow too much to maintain the pace. The gasoline motos topped off and I was shocked to find that I had a 186 mpg run! I was stunned to have such a great run after the tepid performance at Hollister. The overall finish was very close and ultimately it was determined that I was also the overall winner with a finish of 1.1 cent/mile.
For pics and more info: http://www.schultzengineering.us/

The next morning Alan, Eric and I rode towards home with each of us separating on different routes home to the Bay Area. I headed for another longer visit with Diesel Fred Hayes and his wonderful wife Kay. Fred is a great guy as well as a great competitor and it was wonderful to see him and Kay and discuss his plans for Bonneville and the Vetter Challenge. After a great visit I resumed the long tow back home. I stopped in Utah to meet with my friend Jeff Meskey and to pick up some streamlining that he was not going to be using as he quit riding to health reasons. These were an enclosed front fender, an aero windscreen and the framework for a tail section. These parts were beautifully crafted and I planned to use them on my partially streamlined Ninjette/Silveraero project. Many thanks Jeff!
One more day and I was back home with my wife Janet, daughter Maddie and the wonder dog Jack. It had been an incredible 2 weeks. I am one of the luckiest people on earth.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 17th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #6
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

^Thanks brother!!!

Old September 17th, 2016, 03:21 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sounds like a fantastic voyage; congrats on the wins!!! It's not easy to win with misaligned parts fouling up your ride, but you did it!

Old September 17th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

I've always just eyeballed it, but it sounds like one of these puppies might be worth investing in for you.

http://www.svracingparts.com/store/#...tegory=8452336

Old May 28th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #9
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
@greenaero

Are you going July 8th this year?

Old May 28th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #10
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hmm, I may need to take my wife's CB125T to this... Although unfaired standards sacrifice a bit of mpg....
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #11
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

@snot, Yes, I plan on attending again this year. I need to post the details of the 2017 Hollister Challenge( July 2 ) and the MidOhio Challenge ( July 8 ) . I also need to get my streamliner whipped into shape.