Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 16th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #1
jdnightfox
sanic speed

Name: JD

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Ecotrons EFI kit group buy?

They still offer the bulk discount except with the current unfortunate price tag

10% off for 10-20, I guess more if 20+

I've been looking for an EFI kit for a long time and if enough other people want them then maybe we can get them back down to a good price (maybe not)

They're $1000 currently, would be $900 with a 10% discount

I haven't seen a group buy organized in a long time so is there another EFI option that I don't know of?
jdnightfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnightfox View Post
They still offer the bulk discount except with the current unfortunate price tag

I've been looking for an EFI kit for a long time and if enough other people want them then maybe we can get them back down to a good price (maybe not)

I haven't seen a group buy organized in a long time so is there another EFI option that I don't know of?
For that amount of money you could probably DIY it.

Old March 16th, 2018, 08:36 PM   #3
jdnightfox
sanic speed

Name: JD

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeloo Yello View Post
For that amount of money you could probably DIY it.
Yeah that’s the unfortunate side

It was more feasible when they were $600
jdnightfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2018, 06:20 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The kit is pretty awesome from the standpoint of it started on the first try and generally worked well.

The shortcomings are:
  • random fuel pump you know nothing about, can't get local replacement parts for, and have no idea what it's actually rated for. Sure you can just replace it with one that makes logical sense for the application like Greg (look his threads up) who used a 4-wheeler fuel pump, but at that point, you bought a kit so you wouldn't have to re-engineer a fueling system in the first place. I found that because of the cooky angle you have to mount the fuel pump for the kickback/bubbler line to work, long left turns on track made the fueling cut out.
  • large electrical demand. Less of an issue on the newer bikes that have bigger electrical overhead, but it was a significant problem on the pregen. Short trips drained battery, long time use killed the battery. Using the open loop mode and ignoring the O2 sensors got around that, but again, if you wanted an open loop system, you would have stuck with carburetors. You can get it darn close to work well all over with tuning and data table manipulation, but again... you can do that for nearly free and easily with carburetors.
  • Ecotrons customer service. They're happy to send you stuff that you broke, but they get *really* defensive when questioned or challenged. Then they'll turn around and make changes to their equipment based upon your issues and present it like they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. Look at the evolution of their throttle bodies. No matter how evolved the product is, you're always a beta tester

It was a sweet kit when it runs right, but I wouldn't deal with it for $1000. I spent 2 riding seasons tuning fuel maps and volumetric efficiency map and going back and forth on O2 sensors, etc. It worked pretty well outside of a few nagging concerns. So I got rid of it. Fantastic experience I don't regret, but I just don't get excited by it any more.

The best part of it is really the ECU. They've got it pretty good already and it's able to run right out of the box and it's got all kinds of adjustability (ignition timing, efficiency, all phases of start up, global lambda and very specific lambda, data logging, etc) and it can be tuned to work with just about anything because of that, but the polish and chrome spinners aren't there. It's just not a very professional feeling finished product. Get me an OE fuel pump. Get me OE throttle bodies. Get a better fuel return set up (there's no fuel shut off on the supplied tap, you have to figure that out on your own). Get me preformed fuel lines that don't require goofy bends and hella fittings.

This kit could be so good for the price they're charging, but it's really no different than the kit I bought in 2012 (?) for about half the price they're charging now.

Respectfully,

That all said, when I got it tuned, it ran like a top. Airbox, pod filter, whatever. Under full throttle to clutchless upshifts at the track, it blew flames out the pipe as the engine spun down. Pretty neat. Start up was good no matter what the temps were (I only rode down into the mid 40's and up to the 90's). Throttle response was good. Torque felt good throughout the whole rev range. Never had really significant issues other than killing batteries.

For the money, I'd look at a blue collar bobbers kit and make something unique, not something I'm always going to question.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 17th, 2018, 01:21 PM   #5
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnightfox View Post

Man, $1k is NOT worth it at all, doesn't Ecotrons know the carbs are on their way out? The kit is an awesome service, but that price tag is FAR too inflated. You can pay a good mechanic who knows his stuff around small engines to homebrew you one for less than that I bet.

EDIT: Just had a thought. If you are really into EFI, you may want to consider doing a 300 coversion, with 300 engine and electronics with the stock EFI. I do believe there is at least 1 thread on it.

Last futzed with by jcgss77; March 17th, 2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Slow-running brain
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote