ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:45 AM   #41
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I don't, only because I don't trust myself quit yet to keep the bike steady.

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:51 AM   #42
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All the time. It definitely takes some focused attention, but it's a very good feeling knowing that you won't ever be significantly delayed by traffic while on a bike.

The accident in the video above is one of the classic lane-split crashes when a car jumps to a gap in the adjoining lane without signaling. This why the spidey-senses need to ping very loudly whenever you see an open gap in a lane one over like that. Accelerating just at that point was the absolute wrong move, and it's one he likely won't make again.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:02 AM   #43
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

When I was in CA, yes, but not since I left that area. From what I have seen so far in N. Alabama, the drivers here are so crazy, and its illegal, I won't be doing it here.

nb

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:39 AM   #44
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

It's not legal here so, only when the cops are after me.

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:49 AM   #45
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The accident in the video above is one of the classic lane-split crashes when a car jumps to a gap in the adjoining lane without signaling.
Actually, if you look at the video, the truck signalled.

To answer the OP's question, I live in CA and I absolutely lane split. If I couldn't I probably wouldn't own a bike. The question of "Is it wise?" can only be answered by the individual rider. I know people in CA who adamantly refuse to lane split. In their mind it's too dangerous. Then you have the ones who use the "Someone's going to open a door on me" argument. But I have never heard first hand of anyone opening car/truck doors with the intent to stop/crash a rider who's lane splitting. And the only significant MC crash report does not have a section devoted to whether any of the accidents were a result of lane splitting.

All that being said, the US is pretty much the only place in the world where spliting is specifically illegal. Damn near every other country in the world allows it, but 49/50 states haven't caught up with reality yet.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 12:11 PM   #46
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Got it, I didn't see it when I watched through it, but that's kinda the point. The presence or absence of signaling isn't enough to stay safe when about to travel next to a car. The more reliable way is to try and understand what the car is going to do (or be able to do) ahead of time. If there is a vehicle near or next to them, they are unlikely to move over instantly. Of course it doesn't mean you can hang out in their blind spot, or take your time while sitting in between cars; but it does mean that if you can get through quickly, it's likely a safe bet.

If a car in front of you comes up on a significant gap of traffic to the right, be extra aware of them having the ability (and sometimes, even the inclination) to jump into the spot. I've had that happen exactly as shown above, and the way to minimize the risk is to either stay back and see what's going to happen until the gap closes, or if you do start to enter the gap, move the bike over into that gap in the lane to allow more side-to-side space and give a larger escape route if the car does start to jump over.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 01:18 PM   #47
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I do occasionally but that's only because its legal here. Frankly it scares the crap outta me, there are too many grumpy drivers that try to close the gap between lanes and don't allow motorcycles to pass during stopped traffic. Usually I'll only lane split if I'm riding with Ryan.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 02:03 PM   #48
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

All of the time. Like Alex is saying, you have to develop a skill for reading the "body language" of the other vehicles and anticipate them. If you don't get that "awareness" then the odds will catch up to you sooner rather than later.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 02:10 PM   #49
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

If it's legal, then I MAY do it, if I were to be stuck in bumber to bumber traffic, but just riding in straight line is dangerous for us riders. So I think I would just ride along normal enjoying the ride.

On the video, I'm sure the driver of the truck didnt even see the biker in his mirror. Bikes tend to pop up out of nowhere at times.

Old January 31st, 2011, 02:34 PM   #50
Den
ninjette.org member

Name: Denis

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R(sold); '10 ER-6F

Yes, I do. It is legal in the UK, all drivers actually expect you to filter through traffic (like in this video here). Often when I'm between lanes, other vehicles intentionally make space for me to overtake them.
As a motorcyclist you're actually expected (by cagers) to filter though traffic and overtake them. If you don't filter they would probably think you're a sissy, lol!
Den is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 02:34 PM   #51
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Dang, I had to watch that video quite a few times to see if there was any way to have avoided that crash. The only thing the motorcyclists should/could have done was to do an emergency stop as soon as the truck began to signal. Of course, paying attention helps too. The other thing is, that truck moved pretty quickly to merge in front of the semi. He had space in front of him, but instead of doing a more gradual lane change, it almost looked like he was trying to cut off the motorbike. Check out how close he would have been to the front of the semi if the truck had been able to complete the lane change. That semi would have been right on top of him (the truck).

To answer the question, I do it all the time. I agree with Alex too. Gotta watch out for the empty spaces. People have this need to fill gaps in traffic. Even if it makes no sense and the lane is moving slower than the one they're in, they get this irresistible urge to fill the void.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM   #52
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgcake View Post
Rarely ever. I know eventually somebody would open a door at me (thats just how people are in my area).
That's partially because it isn't legal there.

Quote:
All the time. It definitely takes some focused attention, but it's a very good feeling knowing that you won't ever be significantly delayed by traffic while on a bike.

The accident in the video above is one of the classic lane-split crashes when a car jumps to a gap in the adjoining lane without signaling. This why the spidey-senses need to ping very loudly whenever you see an open gap in a lane one over like that. Accelerating just at that point was the absolute wrong move, and it's one he likely won't make again.
EXACTLY what I was going to say. He should have been watching that truck on his left like a hawk and covered the brake (when lanes splitting is the only time it's OK) and be ready to slow/stop at the first hint of the truck moving. I noticed that he gunned it at the exact time I would have preemptively slowed and there was enough time to react if you were expecting it.

I, too, lane split often. Freeways and surface streets. I don't often risk it if there is minimal advantage to doing so and it doesn't help improve traffic flow, but it usually does.

Quote:

To answer the OP's question, I live in CA and I absolutely lane split. If I couldn't I probably wouldn't own a bike. The question of "Is it wise?" can only be answered by the individual rider. I know people in CA who adamantly refuse to lane split. In their mind it's too dangerous. Then you have the ones who use the "Someone's going to open a door on me" argument. But I have never heard first hand of anyone opening car/truck doors with the intent to stop/crash a rider who's lane splitting. And the only significant MC crash report does not have a section devoted to whether any of the accidents were a result of lane splitting.

All that being said, the US is pretty much the only place in the world where spliting is specifically illegal. Damn near every other country in the world allows it, but 49/50 states haven't caught up with reality yet.
I replayed the video several times SPECIFICALLY looking for it and all I could tell is that at some point a light on the front side is lit (possibly a running light). Even if he used his turn signal, it was an illegal lane change. The whole point of a signal is to signal intent, not to signal what you are already doing.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that most people don't want to damage their door or kill someone and then be stuck there in bumper-to-bumper traffic surrounded by witnesses, especially in a state where the motorcyclist wasn't doing anything wrong. If it isn't bumper-to-bumper, there usually isn't enough reason to be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Dang, I had to watch that video quite a few times to see if there was any way to have avoided that crash. The only thing the motorcyclists should/could have done was to do an emergency stop as soon as the truck began to signal. Of course, paying attention helps too. The other thing is, that truck moved pretty quickly to merge in front of the semi. He had space in front of him, but instead of doing a more gradual lane change, it almost looked like he was trying to cut off the motorbike. Check out how close he would have been to the front of the semi if the truck had been able to complete the lane change. That semi would have been right on top of him (the truck).

To answer the question, I do it all the time. I agree with Alex too. Gotta watch out for the empty spaces. People have this need to fill gaps in traffic. Even if it makes no sense and the lane is moving slower than the one they're in, they get this irresistible urge to fill the void.
If there was a signal, it was too late. Also, the truck could have been moving over because it was likely his last easy opportunity before the next exit ramp. I doubt it was for no reason, but the reason is irrelevant: See a gap? Watch out for someone moving into it! See many gaps in a short period of time? Traffic is probably not slow enough to be safely lane-splitting. Move into one and stop risking your neck to get ahead.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Jinx250
Smoker

Quote:
Got it, I didn't see it when I watched through it, but that's kinda the point. The presence or absence of signaling isn't enough to stay safe when about to travel next to a car. The more reliable way is to try and understand what the car is going to do (or be able to do) ahead of time. If there is a vehicle near or next to them, they are unlikely to move over instantly. Of course it doesn't mean you can hang out in their blind spot, or take your time while sitting in between cars; but it does mean that if you can get through quickly, it's likely a safe bet.

If a car in front of you comes up on a significant gap of traffic to the right, be extra aware of them having the ability (and sometimes, even the inclination) to jump into the spot. I've had that happen exactly as shown above, and the way to minimize the risk is to either stay back and see what's going to happen until the gap closes, or if you do start to enter the gap, move the bike over into that gap in the lane to allow more side-to-side space and give a larger escape route if the car does start to jump over.

This is exactly why I say to new riders, even ones in CA, DON'T SPLIT. Not when you're learning anyway. You do not yet have enough infomration to be able to make the right decisions. And sometimes, even that's not enough.

I'm lucky in that most of the time people either do nothing (no swerving either way) or move over to make more room, even if it's not necessary, for me to split. Every now and again, I'll see someone who will intentionally move closer to the line so I can't get by. This usually makes the car behind them slow down a tad, so I just go around behind to the other side and make the pass. People like that are better left waaaay in the rear view mirror.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM   #54
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
. I do it mostly when traffic is a dead stop and that has been like a handful of times in my life as I don't commute and only ride on popular highways during "in between" times.
+1. I have spent years commuting but I still only lanesplit when traffic is completely stopped. I see way too many bad car drivers dive over to change lanes without warning when traffic is stop-and-go to be comfortable lanesplitting in that situation.

I will, on the other hand, often filter to the front of a queue at a red light if the space between the lanes is wide enough.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM   #55
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Every now and again, I'll see someone who will intentionally move closer to the line so I can't get by. This usually makes the car behind them slow down a tad, so I just go around behind to the other side and make the pass. People like that are better left waaaay in the rear view mirror.
Is it really a safe option to pass on the other side of the same vehicle trying to block you? I would think the better option would be to wait until you have a clear opening in the lane next to you and use that to pass in stead of possibly getting into an accident with someone clearly not wanting you to pass.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM   #56
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:21 AM   #57
Jinx250
Smoker

Quote:
Is it really a safe option to pass on the other side of the same vehicle trying to block you? I would think the better option would be to wait until you have a clear opening in the lane next to you and use that to pass in stead of possibly getting into an accident with someone clearly not wanting you to pass.
We each have to make that decision both individually and in situ. To my mind, that type of person is going to spend a lot of time checking their mirror to see where I'm at to keep me from getting by, therefore devoting less than "enough" attention to the road ahead. And I need to devote a good portion of my attention on what this a-hole is doing, which takes away focus from the other cars/trucks around me. Sometimes I'll wait, sometimes I pass them. It depends on the circumstances, but usually I lean towards the pass. If I wasn't such a realist, I'd probably be shocked that there are still cagers here in CA who feel slighted because they are stuck in a cage while the 2 wheelers roll on by in traffic.

I forgot to add that the situation I mentioned is when the traffic is stopped. The idiot doing the blocking does not have enough room to make a counter move. While actually moving, 98% of the time I hang back.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM   #58
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

yeah, if traffic is stopped, then that's different.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:02 AM   #59
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Here in Cali, lane splitting is probably the safest thing you can do IMHO. Granted it shouldn't be done 10mph faster than the two cars you're splitting through but it does provide some protection. <--think about that before you respond.

When I used to ride the street, I would split in 35-75 mph traffic.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #60
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Quote:
yeah, if traffic is stopped, then that's different.
Splitting in dead stop traffic is probably the worst time to do so especially when cagers get irritate with other drivers and grow impatient.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM   #61
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Well the video also shows a guy that decides to gun it a bit and as a result didn't have time to react. He also had plenty of room to miss that truck if he had swerved and entered the lane in front of the truck. If it had been me I would've been cautious in passing people seeing that traffic is moving in one lane and one is not with gaps between cars.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:48 AM   #62
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Well the video also shows a guy that decides to gun it a bit and as a result didn't have time to react. He also had plenty of room to miss that truck if he had swerved and entered the lane in front of the truck. If it had been me I would've been cautious in passing people seeing that traffic is moving in one lane and one is not with gaps between cars.
I don't see how he could have possibly swerved enough to not hit the semi on the right and still get by the truck. Also, watch the video again. The bike's front wheel catches up to the truck's rear bumper just as the truck begins to merge. The only thing he should have done was to do an emergency stop instead of trying to squeeze by imo.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #63
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I don't see how he could have possibly swerved enough to not hit the semi on the right and still get by the truck. Also, watch the video again. The bike's front wheel catches up to the truck's rear bumper just as the truck begins to merge. The only thing he should have done was to do an emergency stop instead of trying to squeeze by imo.
I watched it about 20 times on that section. He panic'd and locked up the brakes. I can't tell really how fast we was traveling but I feel I could have not only swerved but layed on the horn as i did it. I dunno things like that happen really fast on the road so its easy to say you would do this or that lol. Either way I wouldn't have put myself in his situation in the first place. I'd be shaking my head as I watched him pass me.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM   #64
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Splitting in dead stop traffic is probably the worst time to do so especially when cagers get irritate with other drivers and grow impatient.
I respectfully disagree. At least in NorCal (I've heard SoCal is different), it's far more dangerous to split on the interstates when traffic is moving. I've never seen a car open a car door on a motorcyclist when stopped, but I've definitely seen car drivers dive over to the next lane when a lanesplitting motorcyclist is coming up from behind them.

Everyone's different, but I've personally never felt safe or "protected" when lanesplitting. I only do it if I decide it's less safe to be in the line of cars (for example, coming across an accident while crossing the Mojave in 90+ weather -- I decided to lanesplit 10 miles instead of risking heatstroke).

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:26 PM   #65
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Lane splitting is dangerous, regardless of traffic conditions. The scariest moment I had was when there was a soccer mom in front of me doing make up and talking on the cell phone while unsuccessfully trying to keep from swerving. I gave her a wide berth and merged into the next lane to pass. Those drivers are the ones I fear the most.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM   #66
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Lane splitting is dangerous, regardless of traffic conditions. The scariest moment I had was when there was a soccer mom in front of me doing make up and talking on the cell phone while unsuccessfully trying to keep from swerving. I gave her a wide berth and merged into the next lane to pass. Those drivers are the ones I fear the most.
X 1000000000 ^ 10920832 LOL I hate those people in a cage. Its just that much more on the bike. It's times like that I wish I had a badge and lights. I'd pull everyone over I see on the phone, doing makeup, or doing anything in general besides paying attention to the road.

I like getting from point A to B safely and as quickly as possible. Nothing urks me more than the person driving down the road all over their lane eating a fatburger, yelling at their kids, trying to talk on their phone.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:49 PM   #67
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

It's safe if you've been doing it for awhile and know what to look out for. For example, when you see a cager hug closer to side of the one line you know s/he is looking to switch lanes. When you see cagers constantly looking in the rearview mirror you know they want to switch lanes.

And as Bluepoof mentioned, during dead/slow traffic cagers are impatient and eagerly looking for open spots to switch into...that is dangerous.

Also, when one lane comes to a halt, and you're in that same lane, don't switch lanes unless it's VERY SAFE for you to do so. Reason being it's very likely the cars in front will look to do a quick lane change.

When a cager is side to side with another cager that's when it's most safest to split lane because it's very unlikely for that cager to switch lanes.

Just my .02 years of splitting lanes.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:58 PM   #68
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I don't know how you guys lane split out there in california. All of your lanes are tight as hell LOL.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #69
Jinx250
Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
When you see cagers constantly looking in the rearview mirror you know they want to switch lanes.
I only wish people would look before they switched lanes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I don't know how you guys lane split out there in california. All of your lanes are tight as hell LOL.
Some places, yes the lanes are tight as hell and lane splitting becomes a non-option unless you're riding on top of the cars. But overall, it's not nearly as dangerous as some people think. But I blame that on hype, because when people hear "lane splitting" they immediately think of the YouTube video of that azz hat in Russia flying through traffic. The reality is that true lane splitting occurs at a far lower speed and far less recklessly. Most of the time, cagers don't even know a bike is coming until it passes them unless they're actually paying attention. I've lost count of how many times I've split lanes and come up beside someone and seen from the orner of my as they act like "Oh S**T!!" And cringe because all of a sudden I'm next to them.

Personally, I don't have a driving need to be at the front of the line every time. As long as I'm not the last in line, ripe to get nailed by some fool who didn't stop, I'm happy.

Old February 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #70
Animal78
ninjette.org member

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250(sold) 2000 Ninja 250 (sold) 2012 Ninja 250r 2020 Harley Sportster (rarely ridden)

I have actually witnessed someone opening their door on a guy when he was splitting lanes. It's not legal here so I don't do it and I remember watching that guys Busa almost remove the cars door at about 30 mph.

I have been tempted to split the lanes on a few occasions just never felt safe doing it. Also they let bikes on the HOV lanes here so it's not really needed.
Animal78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #71
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

i live in CA and i dont do it at all. I practice lane splitting when i first started riding only because so i know how to use during sh*ts in the fan situation. But normal riding trip (i only joyride) i dont lane split at all.

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #72
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

though about and then remember my friend who wrecked while trying to pull it off, then back off and slow down.
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #73
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I feel your pain NINJABREWER, the drives here in the dirty south are Horrible, if you ride through georgia, expect the worse .
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #74
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

this thread makes me want to record my lane splitting ways.....
i'll prolly have 2 up by tomorrow
1 with "conservative" lane splitting and the other aggressive
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #75
phr3ek
meow?

here's an old one i took before i started going to school

i threw in that extra clip at the end since this is a ninjette forum

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 8th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #76
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Dude, your camera's fisheye perspective is throwing off my judgement. It looks so much narrower than it probably is from your viewpoint.

I rarely lanesplit unless traffic slows to almost a halt. When it's already traveling at 30+, I cant justify the extra 5-10mph difference lane splitting would allow for. Plus the added risk of cars lane changing even though it makes practically zero difference which lane they're in. At stoplights though, pretty much always. I hate worrying about someone behind me and drivers have so much lagtime between seeing the car in front move and hitting the gas.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #77
phr3ek
meow?

lol, yeah the fish eye-ness screws up the actual gap

between cars, its a good sized gap
between a car and big rig, its a little iffy sometimes

Old May 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #78
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

First I will clarify... the term "lane splitting" or sometimes called "white lining" is being equally in 2 lanes at the exact same time... basically riding exactly on the white line. This is illegal even in the state of CA. I don't do this. "Lane sharing" however is being in the same lane with another vehicle actually sharing the lane with them. This is neither legal or illegal... it is simply tollerated and I do this on occasion if the traffic is moving very slowly or so that I can move to the front of a long line of vehicles at a light.

Thank you for listening... now back to your regularly scheduled thread
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #79
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
First I will clarify... the term "lane splitting" or sometimes called "white lining" is being equally in 2 lanes at the exact same time... basically riding exactly on the white line. This is illegal even in the state of CA. I don't do this. "Lane sharing" however is being in the same lane with another vehicle actually sharing the lane with them. This is neither legal or illegal... it is simply tollerated and I do this on occasion if the traffic is moving very slowly or so that I can move to the front of a long line of vehicles at a light.

Thank you for listening... now back to your regularly scheduled thread
Clarification appreciated and I stand corrected. I do exactly what you do.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #80
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

I wonder if an officer would even know the difference between lane splitting and sharing and white lineing...

Personally, I have yet to do it since I'm still quite new, but I have made some lane changes and passes which could probably pass as splitting or sharing...so I have done it?
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote