ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 5th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #1
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE, 02 CBR600F4i

Bike won't start- spark issues?

So someone tried to steal my 2010 250 by jamming what looks like a key or a thin screwdriver into the lock and broke it off inside, rendering my lock cylinder and my bike inoperable. He tried to roll it away, but must have gotten tired because I found my bike later that night on the other side of my apartment building.

Bought a new ignition switch, mounted it by way of zip ties, wasn't willing to drill out the bolts for the old one because that would require taking apart my triple, which I can't do because it took me 3 previous tries to get my bike to ride properly. I was in a crash so my forks are bent up, handle bars are turned a little to the right but it rides straight.

So, since I mounted this new ignition switch, my bike won't start. Won't bump start either. Lights all work properly, horn, everything electrical seems to work, it will crank and crank but there seems to be no sign of ignition. I can't imagine why changing the ignition switch would make there be no spark, but that seems to be my current problem.

I'm fairly sure I'm getting fuel, my dad rolled on the throttle a bit trying to start it (a bad idea I know, told him so), but I could smell fuel when he did. Don't see why there wouldn't be air, so that leaves spark. I haven't changed the spark plugs or messed with anything that way. Everything worked just fine before I had to replace the ignition.

Any insight on why it won't start now? Could it be the new ignition switch? It's one of those cheap ones off of eBay from China, not one from Kawasaki, couldn't afford it. Is there a way to bypass the switch entirely and attempt to hotwire just to test it? Where should I start with trying to fix this? I wanted to try and get some insight from you guys before I just started tearing things apart.

Last futzed with by StuntPuppy; April 5th, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
StuntPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Someone will be along shortly to tell you how to wire the magic resistor to the aftermarket switch, so the ignition module will be happy. I don't have a newgen, so I'm not in on the secret. But it's not difficult, from what I remember reading.

Edit: I found a thread on the subject. It's a 100 ohm resistor that you need, and Ghost posted some information and diagrams of what it needs to connect to, about halfway down this page:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ition+resistor
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #3
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

Thank you, I will pick up a resistor today and update. Does wattage matter?

Old April 5th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Check the thread. I think it said to use a 1 or 2 watt resistor, mainly so it's somewhat robust.

Old April 5th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #5
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

It didn't work... I spliced the resistor into the grey wire, still no dice. I spliced it in on the ignition switch side of the plug, not sure if it matters which side of the plug I spliced it in to. I'm at a loss. Going to have to dig my multimeter out of my storage unit tomorrow to make sure I have power to the wire at all. I checked the other side of the plug to make sure it was still a grey wire on the wiring harness side of the plug and I hadn't spliced it into the wrong wire, I didn't, it was grey on both sides of the plug.

Old April 6th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This is a common problem when replacing the ignition switch with anything but an OEM unit.

I don't recall the solution, bit if you search you should be able to find an answer here somewhere.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #7
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

Tried a new resistor, soldered this one in instead of twisting it around the wires, to eliminate the chance that I broke the resistor. Still nothing. Grey wire doesn't seem to be getting power based on what my test light says, I'm going to dig my multimeter out and play around.

Would it be worth it to bite the bullet and get an OEM ignition, and would that fix the problem?

Is there any chance the thief somehow fried my ignition coil or some other electrical part when he jammed my ignition?

Does the ignition switch need to be grounded on the frame, perhaps? I just ziptied it on the front of my original ignition switch, so it doesn't have any bolts touching the frame.

Looking at all possible options here before I have to take it to the shop.

Old April 6th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
If it doesn't have a ground wire... Yes.

Old April 6th, 2017, 10:35 PM   #9
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

Not working, I wired the ignition mount to the frame, soldered in a resistor. Nothing.

Old April 14th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #10
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

Took it to the shop, he told me the resistor was too big, other side of it wasn't getting enough electricity. I installed a 100 amp 1 watt resistor. I wonder why it didn't work...

They were able to get the broken key out of the stock ignition and restore it to working condition. It's uglier, but it works, and my bike isn't exactly a looker anyway.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old April 14th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuntPuppy View Post
Took it to the shop, he told me the resistor was too big, other side of it wasn't getting enough electricity. I installed a 100 amp 1 watt resistor. I wonder why it didn't work...

They were able to get the broken key out of the stock ignition and restore it to working condition. It's uglier, but it works, and my bike isn't exactly a looker anyway.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I'm glad things are OK now. Not to poke fun, but you did get a little chuckle out of me with the "100 amp" thing. (you probably meant ohms)

Old April 14th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #12
StuntPuppy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm glad things are OK now. Not to poke fun, but you did get a little chuckle out of me with the "100 amp" thing. (you probably meant ohms)
I did, oops XD

Yea, today was a nice sunny day so I got a good day of riding with my girlfriend in.

Old April 15th, 2017, 06:39 AM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Excellent. Now, is there a way to deter thieves?

Old April 15th, 2017, 09:47 AM   #14
sickopsycho
One ugly son of a gun.

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Excellent. Now, is there a way to deter thieves?
sickopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote