ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old January 5th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Moderated user registration

I enabled moderated user registration today. Doesn't change a thing for existing users, and only means that new signups are delayed until I enable each individual account. Any account that chooses and all-caps username, muddles their first name, or lists no motorcycles just gets deleted instead of approved, as there is 99% chance that it's an automated spambot.

Pain in the ass to have to do this, and I wish it weren't necessary, but this is the more appropriate choice rather than having to delete spam posts day after day from these new bot accounts.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Maybe we need to make it more clear that they need to list a motorcycle or say "None yet." I know it says that is a perfectly acceptable answer, but it would be a shame to lose real users because they didn't enter either a motorcycle name or none yet.

Just my $0.02. Keep up the good work Alex. So far we have had relatively little trouble with spammers.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I had been noticing more spamers here so I am glad you have made these changes.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
I know it says that is a perfectly acceptable answer, but it would be a shame to lose real users because they didn't enter either a motorcycle name or none yet.

Just my $0.02. Keep up the good work Alex. So far we have had relatively little trouble with spammers.
I agree, I don't want to lose any real users either. I've had to ban a few dozen accounts over the past month, and with some of the members here reporting the posts as soon as they happen, many times the spam posts and the spammers themselves are gone & banned before many other folks even saw the post. Which is good. But it is draining.

So far, in hindsight, the spam accounts are easy to pick out. People do sign up with fake first names (like: ashkjdlajskhd), answer the motorcycle question in such a way that it's obvious they are up to no good. Of course if someone signs up with perfect info, there's no way for me to absolutely confirm that their intentions aren't spam, but the likelihood is lower. And if I do in fact go the wrong way and don't enable the account of someone because I have a strong feeling it's a spam account, the user will likely send another note to the Contact Us link wondering why their account wasn't enabled.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 5th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #5
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Sounds like you have it all under control (which I never doubted ). I'm all for a method that is less work for you, and keeps the spammers out.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Sucks to have to do it that way, but it's probably the only real way to prevent the spam bots? That is, until the bots get much smarter and actually start filling in real information, I guess.

It's like missile/counter-missile technology. Neither has the edge over the other for very long!

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - I'm trying to attack this a different way. I've turned off Moderation, so people can sign up immediately like before without me having to manually OK them. But I've enabled an anti-spammer check that works with www.stopforumspam.com to see if that user is on their blocked list. After having it up for 5 minutes today, it already blocked 2 new spammer registrations, I was pretty impressed. I also enabled additional spam-scanning on posts themselves, to hopefully pick up the issue if someone does manage to get through registration and then starts spamming.

I'll let this go for a short while to see how well it works, but please let me know if anyone sees any weirdness in their own usage of the site. If this works well, nobody should notice a thing. Other than much less spam.

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Snake

Less spam is a good thing. Thank you Alex.

Old January 16th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Wow. Since I made this change just about a week ago, it has blocked 850 attempts by different spam accounts to signup. This blocking happens before you have to go through that reCAPTCHA "type these words" test, so many of them wouldn't have gotten through that, but I'm amazed at how many attempts there are in the first place.

Old January 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Snake

Alex thanks for keeping this place bot free.

Old January 16th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #11
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Wow. Since I made this change just about a week ago, it has blocked 850 attempts by different spam accounts to signup. This blocking happens before you have to go through that reCAPTCHA "type these words" test, so many of them wouldn't have gotten through that, but I'm amazed at how many attempts there are in the first place.
that calls for a big HOLY COW. 850. Glad that you are on the issue. I had noticed that there were several post a while back that were selling things. Also glad to know that there are programs available that do the weeding out automatically without taking up your family and riding time. As great a forum as this is, I'm sure it takes up a lot of your time. My way of saying you are doing a fantastic job at running and taking care of this forum.

Just think, if the individuals that design and write the programs and all that is needed to do these things were to devote that time and effort to other more useful endeavors, how much better my coffee would be in the mornings. Just my

nb

Old May 11th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

A new generation of spambots is starting to add blog posts, rather than posts within the forums. I think this is due to the better controls on the forum areas of vBulletin (and other tools), but not so much progress on the blog side.

I've deleted a handful of accounts in the past week, including one that had added > 1000 bogus blog entries on the site. I don't have an automated way of catching these yet, though the good thing is once I delete their account it also deletes all their blog entries, which is even simpler than the forum side where you need to delete them separately.

So - if you see any bogus blog entries, let me know so I can deal with them. Thx!

Old May 11th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #13
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

@Alex - On another forum one of the entry requirements is to make a post in the new users section before you have full posting access. Maybe that is another way to weed out the bots.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

keep up the good work!!!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #15
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I run a forum for the game I play online and I understand completely. I get my e-mails on my phone so I can approve/deny anyone as soon as I get the e-mail. I just click a link on the e-mail which takes me to my dolphin browser and approve or deny registration from there. Little bit more work for you, but it's a good choice if you want the opinion of a fellow forum admin on another forum!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Well, who reads blogs anyway
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yup. (this is a bumped old thread, for those that have started from the beginning). Very happy with the forum spam controls, and I haven't had to resort to manual approving/denying user access for quite some time now. I'd prefer not to, as there are some periods where I'm away from the site for a few days, and it's ultimately better if people receive immediate access when appropriate.

I guess I'm realizing I need to research some better blogging controls. The problem is that the different user types that are available on the blog side are more rudimentary than on the forum side, so it's not a straightforward fix.

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #18
Stingray1000

Quote:
Yup. (this is a bumped old thread, for those that have started from the beginning). Very happy with the forum spam controls, and I haven't had to resort to manual approving/denying user access for quite some time now. I'd prefer not to, as there are some periods where I'm away from the site for a few days, and it's ultimately better if people receive immediate access when appropriate.

I guess I'm realizing I need to research some better blogging controls. The problem is that the different user types that are available on the blog side are more rudimentary than on the forum side, so it's not a straightforward fix.
I noticed :P lol I set it up to read newest first lol

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #19
Stingray1000

Quote:

If you need any help I'd be glad too. It's a lot for one person to handle.