ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Notices

Old July 26th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Changed "from" address for all ninjette.org notifications

Notifications coming from this site will now be from: "no-reply@ninjette.org". As the name implies, that address does not accept replies, and if someone does accidently reply to it, they immediately get an auto-response letting them know of that fact.

Have been getting a pile of emails into the Admin box when people are trying to reply to PM's or post in threads, and instead just hit "reply" in their email program and unintentionally send the email to me instead. This should fix that. I hadn't realized it was trivial to change the email address for notifications alone up until I went looking for it today.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #2
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

I bet you've recieved tons of interesting PM's

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Yep, from time to time an interesting one does come in.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'd certainly like to be able to respond to a PM via email. It's possible even without revealing member addresses. Why doesn't vB come configured this way?!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The two options when setting the PM facility up on vBulletin are either show people's email addresses, or hide people's email addresses. For some smaller private boards, it likely makes sense to show the email addresses directly. But for a larger public board like this, keeping all email addresses private allows members to communicate without having to share their email addresses. Of course people can PM eachother their addresses and go to town, but that's not built-in.

Craigslist and some other sites create anonymous addresses for people to reply to, but once someone does reply back to them, they (the responders) are required to show their real email address, so it doesn't stay private for long. vBulletin doesn't have an equivalent feature, and the whole raison-d'etre of a forum site is to get users to keep coming back to that forum site anyway. Developing features that would allow users to completely bypass the website in the first place probably isn't at the top of their development timetable.

Old July 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The two options when setting the PM facility up on vBulletin are either show people's email addresses, or hide people's email addresses. For some smaller private boards, it likely makes sense to show the email addresses directly. But for a larger public board like this, keeping all email addresses private allows members to communicate without having to share their email addresses. Of course people can PM eachother their addresses and go to town, but that's not built-in.

Craigslist and some other sites create anonymous addresses for people to reply to, but once someone does reply back to them, they (the responders) are required to show their real email address, so it doesn't stay private for long. vBulletin doesn't have an equivalent feature, and the whole raison-d'etre of a forum site is to get users to keep coming back to that forum site anyway. Developing features that would allow users to completely bypass the website in the first place probably isn't at the top of their development timetable.
Oh, I totally understand the factors in play here. I'm still disappointed though. eBay now hides emails from trasnacted parties and allows you to respond through email. My Google Voice text to email lets me respond via email as well. Both services have a vested interest in getting you to return and facilitating faster communication. The emails can have ads inserted just as well!

Old July 26th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Google market cap = billions, tens of thousands of developers
eBay = similar
vBulletin = developed by a team of < 10 people

Manageable expectations really need to be set here.

Old July 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Google market cap = billions, tens of thousands of developers
eBay = similar
vBulletin = developed by a team of < 10 people

Manageable expectations really need to be set here.
And yet I was specifically going to mention in that same post how long it took for Google to implement auto-hiding progress bars and correct aspect ratios for YouTube. Google = FAIL too.

I just couldn't work it in.

Anyway, I had the impression that vB was much bigger, considering how wide-spread its use is.

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I had the impression that vB was much bigger, considering how wide-spread its use is.
You'd be surprised how many widely-used programs are developed by a single person.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote