ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #1
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Persuading the wife to let me buy gear

As you can see from my profile I live in Thailand and for any of you lucky enough to visit Thailand you will know that shorts (very very short on the girls) flip flops, T shirts and of course no helmet is the norm (although wearing a helmet is a legal requirement here).

So as I have ordered my ninja I decided to get some new gear which in its self is hard to find here as there are very few bike gear shops and very few in my size, anything worth while is expensive here as import duties hike the price.

My darling Thai wife says why you want to spend that much money on Jacket you think you gonna crash better you not buy bike ...........she rides a scooter in above mentioned gear.

I have tried to show videos of how atgatt saves you but to no avail.

so any one out there can help buy suggesting a place that will ship to Thailand at discount prices or any other way of helping me to persuade her will be great.

yes to her its about money oh and must look beautiful lol

I am looking for hot weather Jacket,pants,boots and gloves.........will even consider good condition second hand .

Old April 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #2
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

...this is why I'll not get married...
Good luck buying gear.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Chadi

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
...this is why I'll not get married...
Heard that one before
Ninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja1 View Post
Heard that one before
lol...dude has to "persuade" his "significant other" to wear life-saving gear! This is just incredibly ironic to me...but I understand it's more of a financial concern than it is her not wanting her husband to be protected...complications like this will not have risen if bro had stayed single though ... I'll probably be singing a different tune in the future, I'm just too in love with my shallow, noncommittal existence presently...don't mind me.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Well she has a nice life insurance policy on him
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Ninja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Chadi

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Oh trust me EthioKnight I know where you're coming from, in fact that's where I like to go sometimes I guess I'm glad and lucky that my wife is very encouraging and open about this "new" hobby of mine, gear and all
Ninja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #7
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

My wife insisted I wear gear if I wanted to commute on mine, which was fine as it was my plan. She got to think she "won that round"...
NJ Ninjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Offer her some "rewards" for letting you buy gear... if you know what I mean
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #9
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

You guys must understand One very important thing she is Thai ie no common sense

budda will look after you in next life you know what i mean

And i def wont get life insurance until she lets me buy the gear at the moment i am worth more alive than dead and want to keep it that way

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz944 View Post
You guys must understand One very important thing she is Thai ie no common sense

budda will look after you in next life you know what i mean

And i def wont get life insurance until she lets me buy the gear at the moment i am worth more alive than dead and want to keep it that way
I am confused with two-thirds of this post...

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
I am confused with two-thirds of this post...
Well you are a sponge so who cares?
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #12
loz944
ninjette.org guru

If you know Thai people you would not be confused

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #13
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Im just confused why you have to "ask" her permission ??

.....................and I've been married 16 yrs
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #14
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
Im just confused why you have to "ask" her permission ??

.....................and I've been married 16 yrs
Not so much asking permission more keeping the peace when you consider a jacket is more than 1 months wage for an average Thai

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #15
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Which do you prefer though, your skin or your money.

If she has you so beaten down that you can't even buy proper protective equipment that might save your life/save you from disfigurement....there's more serious problems.

I had a condition from my wife when I bought the bike that I had to buy gear to keep me safe.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #16
Jimboslice32
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Try www.revzilla.com It's a great website and I believe it should have what you're looking for!

Here is a link to their page about international shipping:

http://www.revzilla.com/international-orders

This should answer your questions. I hope it helps
Jimboslice32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #17
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Not so much asking permission more keeping the peace when you consider a jacket is more than 1 months wage for an average Thai
I think a lot of people missed this- most of us can say whatever we like on a forum, but if we had to pay $2,000 for a jacket alone and even more for a helmet/gloves/pants/boots, we'd all have angry spouses or would be riding without gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
His wife is Thai, she thinks that Buddah will protect him so he does not need to buy gear. He will not get life insurance unless she lets him get gear that way if he does get in a wreck and dies she gets nothing.

Does that clear it up?
I'd get life insurance and name someone else beneficiary. Either a family member, or close friend.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #19
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I am not sure that his question is where to buy but rather how to buy without having his wife freak over the cost of the gear since it appears she thinks that you buy the gear with the intent to crash as opposed to prevent damage in case you crash.

Besides given that he is from where the ninja 250 and cbr 250 are manufactured I dont think a lack of local gear exists where he is.
Actually to find any decent gear here is not easy it is mostly Chinese copies or else they only cater for Asian sizes I am nearly 6' 3"

Quote:
Try www.revzilla.com It's a great website and I believe it should have what you're looking for!

Here is a link to their page about international shipping:

http://www.revzilla.com/international-orders

This should answer your questions. I hope it helps.
thanks this does help

the point of the thread is to find good gear at a reasonable price as genuine gear here can be a huge cost.

and no i am not beaten down just frustrated at the cost to buy all gear here of any quality that would poss fit would be in excess of $1000 which be low end gear for you guys

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Quote:
His wife is Thai, she thinks that Buddah will protect him so he does not need to buy gear. He will not get life insurance unless she lets him get gear that way if he does get in a wreck and dies she gets nothing.

Does that clear it up?
Ohhhh yes, it does! Thanks! Now I feel dumb

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #21
J-Bird
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): None yet

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission.
J-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bird View Post
That's how I let my parents know I was buying a motorcycle, also how I got my first dog
AFM #676

Old April 15th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #23
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Name: twee

Motorcycle(s): 09 black 250

life over in another country is totally different from here, especially asia. ive been on vacation to vietnam n ive seen a family of 4 riding on a scooter. 3 yr old standing on the front seat holding on the gauge cluster, dad rides, another kid whos standing holding dads neck, n moms behind that kid.

i just think its wrong to let a 3 yr old do that but everybody does that there, as if the kids are trained the second theyre born. they dont act crazy n move around, they stand there n they know the drill, cute but dangerous in a way.

i think since like 99% of the people there use some kind of 2 wheel vehicle, theyre not as cautious as we are here with the safety gears. we have cars as our main vehicle n our lil bikes stand no chance on the road n i think thats y most of us gear up. most of them use scooters anyways, theyre not even going past 20 most of the time.

money plays a big role as well, they dont make as much n to be putting all that money for gear when nobody else really wears any is ridiculous to them. its all about the way of life where youre really at n what everybodys use to n safety gear aint on the top of their priority list when it comes to riding.
mz_twee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #24
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_twee View Post
life over in another country is totally different from here, especially asia. ive been on vacation to vietnam n ive seen a family of 4 riding on a scooter. 3 yr old standing on the front seat holding on the gauge cluster, dad rides, another kid whos standing holding dads neck, n moms behind that kid.

i just think its wrong to let a 3 yr old do that but everybody does that there, as if the kids are trained the second theyre born. they dont act crazy n move around, they stand there n they know the drill, cute but dangerous in a way.

i think since like 99% of the people there use some kind of 2 wheel vehicle, theyre not as cautious as we are here with the safety gears. we have cars as our main vehicle n our lil bikes stand no chance on the road n i think thats y most of us gear up. most of them use scooters anyways, theyre not even going past 20 most of the time.
money plays a big role as well, they dont make as much n to be putting all that money for gear when nobody else really wears any is ridiculous to them. its all about the way of life where youre really at n what everybodys use to n safety gear aint on the top of their priority list when it comes to riding.

you are 100% correct except for the speed of the scooters my wife has a Yamaha Fino 110 cc it will easily do 60 mph (100 Kmh)

Old April 16th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #25
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
you are 100% correct except for the speed of the scooters my wife has a Yamaha Fino 110 cc it will easily do 60 mph (100 Kmh)
well i never said scooters cant go pass 20...im referring to my experiences in vietnam...nobody really goes pass that speed since its overpopulated n everybodys not in a big rush to go anywhere. thats just how they ride there, i dont think i ever seen anyone speed.

much of the streets are small n there really isnt any highway type of lanes, plus everything is close by so theres no need to travel far, therefore, lack of speed.

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #26
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_twee View Post
well i never said scooters cant go pass 20...im referring to my experiences in vietnam...nobody really goes pass that speed since its overpopulated n everybodys not in a big rush to go anywhere. thats just how they ride there, i dont think i ever seen anyone speed.

much of the streets are small n there really isnt any highway type of lanes, plus everything is close by so theres no need to travel far, therefore, lack of speed.
I live about 40 mins from Bangkok and unfortunately they do speed here even with the family on the bike on a 4 lane highway. I have even met them coming the wrong way up the highway.

I have yet to go to Vietnam so I trust what you say if you go to the smaller villages here its probably much the same although now you are getting the youngsters customizing their scooters stripping plastics of to lighten e.t.c and racing around like lunatics so even on the quieter roads you have to be very careful seen many a family come a cropper when sat at my local bar they get knocked off by the local squids and cars.
most of the time fortunately they appear to bounce back up and all get back on the bike and go .

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it's easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #28
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it's easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask for permission
Hey alex look! This is what a proper sentence looks like.
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #29
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

oh...well where my familys from in vietnam, theres not much highway lanes. mostly regular overcrowded streets. i hope that wife of yours let u have some gear, just start on the cheapest smallest items n work your way up. good luck

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #30
greenenvie
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2004 yellow 250r

My wife see's my bike as a toy. I had to save up and pay for it with the money I get per week out of our monthly budget. If I want gear I have to save up for it the same way. I have tried the "it will protect me line", but she fires back with the "well then don't ride it yet and take the car".

Disclaimer: We both get a set amount to spend each week. and I am 27 and debt free except for a house payment.
greenenvie is offline   Reply With Quote