ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #1
mrudich
ninjette.org member

Name: Mateo

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Winterizing for 5 weeks?

I'm going away for five weeks and I won't be able to take my motorcycle with me. I've never left it unused for this amount of time (I ride it all through winter) so I've never done any sort of "winterizing" or anything of that sort. So a couple questions:
Do I need to "winterize" it if I'll be gone for only five weeks?

If so, what does that entail?

Does it differ from what one would normally do if they were leaving their bike sitting for longer?

Also a friend of mine said Sea Foam works as a fuel stabilizer also in addition to its other purposes? Is he correct?

I have a cover and a battery tender already.

Thanks!
mrudich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Keep it on front and rear stands if you have. Fill up the tank all the way to the top, so rust doesn't form in the empty space.

IMO no need to put fuel stabilizer if it's only five weeks.

Old June 13th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

I would drain the carb bowls because the high volatiles will evaporate off and whats left will be pretty dull, making starting a PITA when you get back to it.
Otherwise just disconnect the battery as a safety precaution and depending on its condition you may need to top up the charge when you get back.
but that's all I would do
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
This year, the extent of my winterizing was filling up the tank, turning off the petcock, letting the engine use up all the gas in the carbs, and removing the battery. It sat from November 15 to March 30, then fired right up in the spring. I do use TC-W3 oil as a fuel additive, but otherwise it was just regular 87 octane E10.

For 5 weeks, I agree with the others. It should be plenty to empty the bowls and unhook the battery.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
5 weeks! You better give it to a friend to ride. A bike that sits for that long will go south fast. You'll get problems only a doctor can cure. You won't recognize it when you get back.

Only kidding! All you really have to do is get a cell phone and place it on the tank so you can call and talk to it everyday. It will get lonely but the sound of your voice will put a smile on it's face and that way it won't be too pissed you left it.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; June 13th, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.